Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So you're saying we didn't need a bailout all along? It was a big conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,935 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So you're saying we didn't need a bailout all along? It was a big conspiracy?

Why not publish the letter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We won't know until we see that letter, which of course we won't.
    Why ? Because of the embarrassment it would cause to our politicians. It would show up their willingness to bend over for the European Bankers and Bondholders and spread all the pain to their own population.

PS

I didn't hear FG calling for it's publication either.
    Why ? Because they are bending over and taking it too.

Shame on them all.

That's all great and everything but what would have been the point delaying the bailout? It isn't as if it wasn't going to happen, we'd be stalling the guys we'd be borrowing money off. Doesn't make much sense to me and I've watched my share of the Sopranos and other shows!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Because it's kind of irrelevant. It's indisputable that we needed assistance. Whatever the tone taken in the letter was, it doesn't alter that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

Because FG have brought in the new style of 'transparant' politics they talked so much about.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

loggedoff wrote: »
    Anyone want to put an estimated value of their properties up here and what the liability could be?
    I'm trying to work out mine but nobody has sold a house within 1.5 miles from where I live in years.

The property price register only goes back 3 years so it will probably prove you right about the dearth of sales but maybe worth a look anyway?

http://www.propertypriceregister.ie/website/npsra/pprweb.nsf/PPR?OpenForm

If it was me even with nothing to compare I would come up with the lowest figure I would accept if I was selling. It is unlikely that it would be €200K off the mark for instance and I would seek the advice of family members and neighbours. I think there will be guidance from the Revenue about the system later on.

Because it's kind of irrelevant. It's indisputable that we needed assistance. Whatever the tone taken in the letter was, it doesn't alter that.

So let's see them man-up and publish it then.
    Otherwise it will always be held over them. (a bit like the 3rd secret of Fatima.)

Otherwise it will always be held over them. (a bit like the 3rd secret of Fatima.)

If they did, there'd be a big media hoopla over whatever was in it. But it wouldn't do anything to alter the situation we were in then or the situation we are in now.

K-9 wrote: »
    That's all great and everything but what would have been the point delaying the bailout? It isn't as if it wasn't going to happen, we'd be stalling the guys we'd be borrowing money off. Doesn't make much sense to me and I've watched my share of the Sopranos and other shows!

We won't know till it's published. There are many saying they were bullied into taking on too severe conditions. Who was at the meeting in the room by the way?

If they did, there'd be a big media hoopla over whatever was in it. But it wouldn't do anything to alter the situation we were in then or the situation we are in now.

Ah no now !!! That's just an excuse. I'd love to see Enda show a pair for a change.

• Advertisement

We won't know till it's published. There are many saying they were bullied into taking on too severe conditions. Who was at the meeting in the room by the way?

There's a transcript on the web from Honahan on the VB show, my recollection of it is FF didn't do much bargaining and stuck largely to their 5 year plan they had prepared a couple of months before, Lenihan barely mentioned bondholders if at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ah yeah, poor ould FF bullied into taking a bailout that was inevitable anyway. The country was going to run out of cash in a few months anyway despite FF protestations, the ECB made them face up to reality.

I wonder were the Germans threatened after WW 2 when the rest of Europe and afar bailed them out.
    Eaten bread is soon forgotten.

I wonder were the Germans threatened after WW 2 when the rest of Europe and afar bailed them out.
    Eaten bread is soon forgotten.

Well things like their army and stuff was curtailed, oppression I tells ya.

Well things like their army and stuff was curtailed, oppression I tells ya.

Just like in this country so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

The "them" in this case is our government if I recollect correctly.

If leaking the letter made our government look anyway good it would have been in the Sunday Papers the week it was received.

View wrote: »
    The "them" in this case is our government if I recollect correctly.

If leaking the letter made our government look anyway good it would have been in the Sunday Papers the week it was received.

They are afraid to release it because it lumped all the Banking troubles of Europe entirely on the population of Ireland and our crowd agreed to do it.
    Simple as that.

Ah no now !!! That's just an excuse. I'd love to see Enda show a pair for a change.

Grow? Yes,
    Show? NO!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

You must be really happy today Donal.

You lumped on the people in negative equity, the old, sick, pregnant, single parent/deserted wife, children, carers and the poor old wino.

Congratulations.

Why would anyone be happy about paying more taxes? The budget today will cost me the best part of a grand is say so not much to be happy about there tayto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

donalg1 wrote: »
    Why would anyone be happy about paying more taxes? The budget today will cost me the best part of a grand is say so not much to be happy about there tayto.

Me too, with the 3 bottles of wine a day. I will have to cut down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

They are afraid to release it because it lumped all the Banking troubles of Europe entirely on the population of Ireland and our crowd agreed to do it.
    Simple as that.

Well, that is certainly "simple" as in simplistic thinking.

You do realise that most of the bailout loans - none of which we were or are obliged to borrow - related to government expenditure on day-to-day government services?

• Advertisement

View wrote: »
    Well, that is certainly "simple" as in simplistic thinking.

You do realise that most of the bailout loans - none of which we were or are obliged to borrow - related to government expenditure on day-to-day government services?

Show us the letter then and we'll see if we were 'obliged' to borrow or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Unvouched expenses cut, another reason the anti side claimed they wouldnt pay was the lads at the top need to cut out the expenses and what not.

This could end up costing tax payers more in the long run you understand right?

Simple as that.

More like the ECB was sick of the many incompetent handlings of the crisis by FF which people seem to have an amnesia about when Germany or the ECB gets mentioned. Its all the more shocking because they seem to have forgotten the very things they were so irate about a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Ghandee wrote: »
    Wrong. (or have you made a Freudian slip?)

Tax payers make up salaries and pensions of public servants, government members etc. Your 'evader'remarks refer to folk who've not (and won't) pay the HHC.

We've been told the hhc has been 'ring fenced' for local services, if however you're now saying that by not paying the hhc, you're not contributing to an over paid ministers salary (while they themselves haven't 'shared the pain') I say well done guys.

Keep up the good work. ;)

So well versed Gh.

I wouldnt say goodbye to it until you have paid it as the revenue will be chasing it and if i heard correctly it will be added to the property tax.

Hey Donal I have a question.

With people who have paid, and deceased all getting reminders, please explain to me how the hell will they know who has and hasn't paid?

Now December, and I still await my first reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

My brother is the sole earner and with child benefit cuts and increases to motor tax he is one that cant afford to pay this property tax.

My parents house used to be valued at around 180k. Its no where near that anymore and to think Noonan wants to use 175k as vaulation for houses between 150k and 200k is so wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    My brother is the sole earner and with child benefit cuts and increases to motor tax he is one that cant afford to pay this property tax.

My parents house used to be valued at around 180k. Its no where near that anymore and to think Noonan wants to use 175k as vaulation for houses between 150k and 200k is so wrong

Tell your brother to do what the vast majority of the country will also be doing and pay no attention to a 'property tax'.

Never mind the shills and sheep who'll try and convince you otherwise. The hhc only got a50% compliance rate when landlords with multiple properties are deducted from it, add yo that the people who were scared and cajoled into paying it, yet now regret it, and your brother will be in good company.

Very good company.

You think its a coincidence that the poll on the third thread of this subject has steadily remained around the 60% not paid mark?

Don't let anyone try and fool you Lisa.;)

More like the ECB was sick of the many incompetent handlings of the crisis by FF which people seem to have an amnesia about when Germany or the ECB gets mentioned. Its all the more shocking because they seem to have forgotten the very things they were so irate about a couple of years ago.

I agree but why did FG carry on their policies? I though they were going to re-negotiate when I foolishly voted for them.

Lisa2011 wrote: »

Someone has to pay for Big Phil's trips and wine drinking.
    The entitled have to be looked after at all costs.

• Advertisement

Noonan said that the exemptions will be broadly in line with the exemptions of the HHC (i.e. those in receipt of Mortgage Interest Supplement and those in unfinished housing estates).

How exactly are those exemptions targetted at the rich???

Right, I have a question for the pro brigade: Please elighten me and tell me what exactly is a ghost estate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement