Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

loggedoff wrote: »
    Ah Jesus, don't say that.

Well he mentioned nimby`s, which has some irony, since he wants more hardship on others, which likely wont apply to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

I suppose a property tax would be ok in better times.
    If they proposed a property tax in a couple or three years set at a reasonable rate, even the rates they propose now, it would be ok.
    I'm sure the troika would be ok with that too and would see the merit in postponing it.
    Bringing it in now, when the country is so low, is madness in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

My oh my ???
    Did you not have a totally different view on the Budget thread.:rolleyes:

True, Tayto, so true.

Only one thing worse than a troll, and thats a bad troll.
    Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It's quite possible they've no mortgage to pay though. So I'd say they're comfortable on their 62-70k
    Fair point.

TBH, if I was in that zone I'd cut my income to just sub 60k, that way the actual cost would be smaller and the tax man would take the hit instead

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82095623&postcount=1232

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

dvpower wrote: »
    ... by tax payers, not so much by tax evaders.

Wow. Who evaded taxes?

My tax evaders remark refers to just that - tax evaders.

Jumping the gun in your excitement there Ghandee!

Or rather its you who's jumping the gun, as no one evaded taxes as yet. No, I think you are the one getting exited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

darkhorse wrote: »
    Or rather its you who's jumping the gun, as no one evaded taxes as yet. No, I think you are the one getting exited.
    Just attempted evasion maybe? They'll get caught by the Revenue and face the increased €200 HHC.

It's not flaming or baiting, though; it's a statement of fact.

Which one of the letters in HHC stands for tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just attempted evasion maybe? They'll get caught by the Revenue and face the increased €200 HHC.

Nobody can make anyone pay the charges if they don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Which one of the letters in HHC stands for tax?

Oh for god sake not this again. When you are finished with it can I have a go in your time machine.

[QUOTE=donalg1;82086478 a person who evades paying a tax is a tax evader no two ways about it. [/QUOTE]

Finally. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

As if by magic you will mutate from a HHC evader into a Local Property Tax evader next year. I'm sure that clarification of the nomenclature will put your mind at ease.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/budget_2013.html

Household Charge

The Household Charge will be abolished from 1 January 2013 and outstanding charges will be collected through the LPT system.

Nobody can make anyone pay the charges if they don't want to.
    Be sure to tell that to the man from the Revenue :pac:

donalg1 wrote: »
    Similiar exemptions will apply to the property tax as that those apply to the HHC.

So, same people expected to pay, regardless of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Be sure to tell that to the man from the Revenue :pac:

No problem :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

No problem :pac:
    Sure didn't you burn down your house? So no property tax for you. Shrewd move lad. :pac:

Has anyone here, from either side, any idea how long it'll take Ireland to get back to some sense of normality?
    Are we looking at another 5 years of flatlining, 10 years?
    The only thing that these new taxes and cuts seem to do is add to the sense of dispair.
    Surely there has to be some light at the end of the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Well lads I know some of you haven,t being on any protests as of yet-are ye now ready to act and start protesting ? -
    its all well and good commenting and giving out about the budget on Internet discussion forums, but as long that,s all people keeping doing talking about things on Internet chat forums without taking to the streets in mass numbers we won,t make much difference-there needs to a serious upping in the anti in the way we protest about things- last year in the UK protesters blocked the Westminster Bridge over proposed NHS reforms--what if for arguments sake on a certain date if we were to block bridges in different towns even for an hour to make a point and our feelings known-if we were to march up and down a few bridges blocking them up-we would bring the traffic to a standstill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15234631

Am Chile wrote: »
    Well lads I know some of you haven,t being on any protests as of yet-are ye now ready to act and start protesting ? -
    its all well and good commenting and giving out about the budget on Internet discussion forums, but as long that,s all people keeping doing talking about things on Internet chat forums without taking to the streets in mass numbers we won,t make much difference-there needs to a serious upping in the anti in the way we protest about things- last year in the UK protesters blocked the Westminster Bridge over proposed NHS reforms--what if for arguments sake on a certain date if we were to block bridges in different towns even for an hour to make a point and our feelings known-if we were to march up and down a few bridges blocking them up-we would bring the traffic to a standstill.
    And do you know what would also be brilliant? An alternative plan! (Even a bad one!)

Only 0.18%.

And a commitment not to increase the rate for the lifetime of the government.

Only 0.18%, so far.
    Oh, yeah, a commitment not to increase that rate, from a FG minister. Yeah, right.

Only 0.18%, so far.
    Oh, yeah, a commitment not to increase that rate, from a FG minister. Yeah, right.

An FG commitment not to increase the rate?

Sure they wouldn't lie to us, uhuh.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

lugha wrote: »
    And do you know what would also be brilliant? An alternative plan! (Even a bad one!)

I see you re still spinning no one is offering alternative budgeting measures-plenty of budget alternatives offered by the opposition.

http://stephendonnelly.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/StephenDonnellyBudget2013.pdf

http://richardboydbarrett.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/ula-budget-20131.pdf

http://www.sinnfein.ie/budget-2013

I see you re still spinning no one is offering alternative budgeting measures-plenty of budget alternatives offered by the opposition.

http://stephendonnelly.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/StephenDonnellyBudget2013.pdf

Them alternatives don't count though. :rolleyes:

Maybe when the troika are gone there'll be a different approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

loggedoff wrote: »
    Has anyone here, from either side, any idea how long it'll take Ireland to get back to some sense of normality?
    Are we looking at another 5 years of flatlining, 10 years?
    The only thing that these new taxes and cuts seem to do is add to the sense of dispair.
    Surely there has to be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Normality being what? In my lifetime there have been periods of higher unemployment and emigration than now. And times when things were more desperate. Imagine trying to buy a house with mortgage rates of 20% and rising.

In more recent times there has been a property bubble and an international recession. These are regular phenomena of capitalist economies and will be repeated here in the future. If the property bubble is the sort of normal you want to return to you are welcome to it.

donalg1 wrote: »
    Similiar exemptions will apply to the property tax as that those apply to the HHC.
    Also people living in social housing will allegedly be asked to contribute 1 or 2 euro extra on their rents.

So, which one is it to be.

So, which one is it to be.
    Both

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Oh i'm not worried at all. Labour will soon be a thing of the past. As for the Church, I fell out with them years ago.
    What worries me is the increasing numbers of people at the soup kitchens. Many of those people were working a few years ago.

Labour have been written off many times in the past, they've come back. They'll do it again.

SF are populist. I don't think Labour will go the way of the SDLP in the North.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

paddy147 wrote: »
    So a person with a well paid job in an unfinished estate gets a free pass...yet someone on social wellfare who lost their job and cant get a job,has mortgage problems and in negative equaity gets fcuk all?????

Thats fair?????????

I find it facinating how the poster seems to know that there are no rich people living in unfinished estates, paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭BubbleBalls

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15234631
    lugha wrote: »

Fair point though - more people are needed on marches. More people to actively reflect what we are experiencing. A lot of people I know are on the edge and, when tipped, they will act.

• Advertisement

Still arguing that there is no alternative that does not involve a lot of hardship for a lot of people? Alas yes. But do feel free to offer your own plan for a painless way out of our crisis. Of course your enthusiasm for the task might be a tad dampened by the fact that nobody else, at all, has come anywhere close to meeting this challenge.

Some have offered alternatives to a property tax. But a comprehensive solution to our problems, by means at out disposal, without pain? No. Still waiting for that big idea. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement