Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

They should protest outside the homes of the Ministers. Make their homes the subject of the protest in the same way as they made our homes the targets of their attacks. I know for certain that this effected the thinking of Dermot Aherne when people protested outside his home. He didn't last long in his ministry afterwards and jumped ship. Protesting outside the Dail they can ignore.
    Not stepping up to the mark yourself there Tayto?

When are you going to organise one of these protests in your local area?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Labour are next year's Greens.

Absolutely !! They're finished as a political party ... shower of chancers. I've voted FF for 20 yrs, switched to labour at the last election, and got these liars into power !!!!!! They can flute off - I can't wait till one of em knocks at my door !

We need a viable alternative to the same old cronies, and the danger is that we'll get one .. like Germany did in 1933.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dvpower wrote: »
    Not stepping up to the mark yourself there Tayto?

When are you going to organise one of these protests in your local area?

Oh I have been on protests before, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

two fundamental flaws with the tax:

1. the banding system with midvalues used for applying the tax means there will be alot of people who are friends with valuers will get their properties undervalued to fall into a lower category.

2. letting the local authorities adjust the rate in 3 years time is counter-productive, as it means that rather than having to find greater efficiencies at local level, they can just up the property tax rate at will.

I have a good idea what band my house is in. But I am going to wait for more information on the system. Not much point IMO in this thread moving off into the realms of speculation about valuations at this stage.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/budget_2013.html#lpt

If the LPT is not paid, a charge will attach to the property which must be paid if the property is sold or the ownership transferred.

The Revenue Commissioners will send out an explanatory booklet on the operation of LPT, including valuation procedures, in March 2013.

Valuation will be by self-assessment in 2013 and those valuations will be used until the end of 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

• Advertisement

Ogham wrote: »

Each return sent out by the Revenue Commissioners will also include a notice of the ‘Revenue estimate’ of the property tax due.

Where the liable person does not submit a return, the Revenue estimate will become payable by default and Revenue will collect the amount due in the normal ways – by deduction at source, attachment orders etc.. The estimate will automatically be displaced on submission of the return containing the self-assessed amount.

New campaign slogan "Don't Register; Just Pay"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

New campaign slogan "Don't Register; Just Pay"

I can picture the chinless wonder civil servants yakking it up around the watercooler when they came up with this gem..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

mikom wrote: »
    I can picture the chinless wonder civil servants yakking it up around the watercooler when they came up with this gem..........

To think it took them over a year to come up with it.... as efficient as ever. :D
    Probably had to set up another quango/working group/committee to think of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

loggedoff wrote: »
    To think it took them over a year to come up with it.... as efficient as ever. :D
    Probably had to set up another quango/working group/committee to think of that one.

Didnt DV just come up with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

donalg1 wrote: »
    Didnt DV just come up with it?

Are you calling DV a 'chinless wonder civil servant' Donal:eek:

I thought you guys were on the sane team lol :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Ghandee wrote: »

No I am saying DV came up with it and not a chinless wonder civil servant or quango.

And yes we are on the 'sane' team. :pac:

It'd never work anyway.
    There's no mechanism in place to allow you to pay and not register.
    Back to the drawing board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

It'd never work anyway.
    There's no mechanism in place to allow you to pay and not register.
    Back to the drawing board.

Get ready for dv to tell us there's no need to register anymore as the revenue are in charge..........

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

Valuation will be by self-assessment in 2013 and those valuations will be used until the end of 2016.

So by 2016 you are paying a tax based on 2013 values.What a con,glad i'm not paying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Am Chile wrote: »
    Well lads I know some of you haven,t being on any protests as of yet-are ye now ready to act and start protesting ? -
    its all well and good commenting and giving out about the budget on Internet discussion forums, but as long that,s all people keeping doing talking about things on Internet chat forums without taking to the streets in mass numbers we won,t make much difference-there needs to a serious upping in the anti in the way we protest about things- last year in the UK protesters blocked the Westminster Bridge over proposed NHS reforms--what if for arguments sake on a certain date if we were to block bridges in different towns even for an hour to make a point and our feelings known-if we were to march up and down a few bridges blocking them up-we would bring the traffic to a standstill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15234631[/QUOTE]

Pardon my ignorance AC, who are the broads?

No thanks to another property bubble and no thanks to interest rates of 20% (I seen what that did to my parents, put my father in his grave.:()
    The thing is though, that after 6 austerity budgets we don't seem to be getting anywhere.
    We still have a crap banking sector, unemployment is stubbornly high, we're seeing massive cuts, there's no growth and it seems like no hope.
    I think that if we could say for definite that the worst was over, and we're on the up so to speak, people would start spending a bit more and things would improve quickly.
    Something is needed to get the ball rolling and for us to stop feeling sorry for ourselves.
    What that is, I don't know.

Well said Loggedoff, except You left out one other 'injustice' to whats happening: The weasels in DE are still having a whale of a time at our expense! And of course, there is the disgusting pensions to the ex-td's, not to mention we are still awaiting the abolition of the Seanad. Oh, and did I ONCE hear the word quango yesterday? Nope, and I listened to Noonan's dictation.

You would have to be living under a rock not to know what a ghost estate is. Do you live on the underside of a rock?

In a discussion thread, if you want someone to shut up, you can just use the ignore facility. I suggest you do this.

It's very hard to ignore the ignorant.

FYI, I live in an estate which has 2 phases, one has been handed over to KCC, but the other is unfinished. There is a derelict site with about 10 concrete based foundations, there is a decrepid portocabin in the ex builders site which some gurriers set fire to a few weeks ago. There is one street with NO street lighting ( neighbour had His van broken into) and of course, no unfinished surface - some neighbours had to pool in and buy tar so they wouldn't damage their cars when driving into the drive-way.The site is now becoming a dumping ground, and is rat infested. There are unoccupied finished houses which the bastards are now smashing the windows. BUT, for some reason only KCC can explain, our estate is not listed under the ghost estates list.

We held our AGM last March and invited our local FG councillor to explain the HHC. What did he say when furnished with the facts I mention Register and pay and we'll review it next year.

So now, I ask you DV ( who has an answer for everything that suits Your agenda), what now?

I just heard the FG party described on newstalk as "going from an austerity driven party, to a draconian financial dictatorship'.

Quite an apt description tbh.

Joe Higgins calling on a mass boycott of the property tax also.

With all due respects Gh, this the same Higgins who used TAX PAYERS money to fund his jaunts around the country churning up opposition to the HHC?

The fúcking lot of them are exactly the same! Maybe excluding Róisín Shortall

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    With all due respects Gh, this the same Higgins who used TAX PAYERS money to fund his jaunts around the country churning up opposition to the HHC?

The fúcking lot of them are exactly the same! Maybe excluding Róisín Shortall

Talking about Roisin Shortall, I think she has a great opportunity to form a New Labour. This is the right time for it. She would blow the existing lot out of the water and would have the support of the women of Ireland too who are very badly represented in Dail Eireann. After the cuts to Child Welfare, Childrens Allowance, Carers and Pensioners she would stroll in at the next elections with a good smattering of women in New Labour.

Talking about Roisin Shortall, I think she has a great opportunity to form a New Labour. This is the right time for it. She would blow the existing lot out of the water and would have the support of the women of Ireland too who are very badly represented in Dail Eireann. After the cuts to Child Welfare, Childrens Allowance, Carers and Pensioners she would stroll in at the next elections with a good smattering of women in New Labour.

You're away in fantasy land. Even if there is a new party formed it could only ever get into government as part of a coaltion. Which party or parties would you suggest she could align with?

But I think you have sussed her motives for her recent behaviour. Re-election for herself.

• Advertisement

Totally agree Tayto, also ( for me) the way Her 'leader' did the dirty on Her and backed the bearded one from North Dublin instead sucks!

Can honestly see Gilmore history in the near future, and he's taking his 'party' down the slippery slope with him...PD's & Greens all over again!

You're away in fantasy land. Even if there is a new party formed it could only ever get into government as part of a coaltion. Which party or parties would you suggest she could align with?

But I think you have sussed her motives for her recent behaviour. Re-election for herself.

Yea, that's right.
    Whenever someone or some party put forward different ideas or show some morals, they're called populist or only doing it for re-election.
    There's not supposed to be an election for another 3 years, do you RS puts herself in the political wilderness for all that time to be populist.
    Please:rolleyes:

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    So now, I ask you DV ( who has an answer for everything that suits Your agenda), what now?
    Pay your damn taxes, that's what

I'd say there are very many members of the Labour Party who will not sleep well tonight after what they voted for in the Budget. When the cuts start biting and the people really begin to vent their anger in their direction a lot of them might jump ship. Gilmour is power hungry but he is not stupid. He is living just for the day, for the little buzz the power gives him. Deep down he knows he had done the dirt on his party and on his people.

Gilmour is a modern day Diarmaid Mac Murrough. Selling out his own people.

I'd say there are very many members of the Labour Party who will not sleep well tonight after what they voted for in the Budget. When the cuts start biting and the people really begin to vent their anger in their direction a lot of them might jump ship. Gilmour is power hungry but he is not stupid. He is living just for the day, for the little buzz the power gives him. Deep down he knows he had done the dirt on his party and on his people.

Gilmour is a modern day Diarmaid Mac Murrough. Selling out his own people.

The women of Ireland. The people. It's good to see the system of self appointed spokespersons is still going strong.

Pay your damn taxes, that's what

What do you not understand? I HAVE PAID my taxes!!!

Holy sh1t, how difficult is it to understand that??????????????????????????

As regards the estate ( and PLEASE DV, do me a favour and do not answer, because I will not answer any of your retorts in the future), can anyone else suggest what road is open to us?

The women of Ireland. The people. It's good to see the system of self appointed spokespersons is still going strong.

And you are spokesperson for who exactly?
    This is a public forum, we are allowed our say.

Well it's strong on these threads for the party in power :D

Well it's strong on these threads for the party in power :D

Hardly supported by the fact the only 29% of the people here who voted have paid the HHC.

• Advertisement

And you are spokesperson for who exactly?
    This is a public forum, we are allowed our say.

I am not a spokesperson for anyone. I don't go writing stuff like "the people" will do X or "the women of Ireland" will not stand for Y.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement