Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

dvpower wrote: »
    Pay your damn taxes, that's what

Will you not get your increment next year if we don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

I am not a spokesperson for anyone. I don't go writing stuff like "the people" will do X or "the women of Ireland" will do Y.

But your here arguing that everyone should pay the household charge....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

loggedoff wrote: »

Lookin' out for No. 1, don't ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hardly supported by the fact the only 29% of the people here who voted have paid the HHC.

It doesn't take 29% to keep this thread going and to try and convince everyone of the morality of paying unjust taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What I said all along was that since it became the law of the land I think it is self defeating and will be ultimately more expensive for individuals who defy it. That is my opinion which I am stating only on behalf of myself

Disagreeing with how the government is running the country does not give a person the right to pick and choose what laws they will abide by, that way lies anarchy. Also my individual opinion.

Writing stuff like "the people" will do this or "the people" won't do that is just hot air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    What do you not understand? I HAVE PAID my taxes!!!
    Good for you.
    Another former tax cheat has paid up. Well done you.

It doesn't take 29% to keep this thread going and to try and convince everyone of the morality of paying unjust taxes.

It is usually our anti friends on the graveyard shift who keep the thread going.

What I said all along was that since it became the law of the land I think it is self defeating and will be ultimately more expensive for individuals who defy it. That is my opinion which I am stating only on behalf of myself

Disagreeing with how the government is running the country does not give a person the right to pick and choose what laws they will abide by, that way lies anarchy. Also my individual opinion.

Writing stuff like "the people" will do this or "the people" won't do that is just hot air.

Well by God did we get enough hot air during the General Election --

"Not another cent"
    "I will make sure Roscommon Hospital remains at full service as the people deserve it"
    "It's Labour's way or Frankfurt's way"

Ha ha Do you want more of these? I have thousands.

There was enough hot air coming out of that crowd to fly a balloon around the world 10 times without landing. Eat your heart out Richard Branston. Enda and his cronies could fuel a rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

bgrizzly wrote: »
    i guess i cant argue with you then(cause im also with Izzy) (although i think i'd be more extreme on spending cuts that either of you)
    Well seing as how Izzy want’s our deficit to be addressed 100% by spending cuts you’d be hard pushed to top that. :)
    I have to say, having seen the incompetence, greed and cronyism of this and the last governments, that I will most lightly vote Sinn Fein in the local elections and the general election after that.
    You assume of course that Sinn Fein want to be in power come next election, which I seriously doubt. I don’t think they have the liathroidi for it and I think they will be quite happy to do the traditional FF move and let FG + Lab clean up the mess and get all the abuse for it.

But it would be all bad news if they did get into government. They no more have a magic solution to our problems that the current government have, so a spell with them sitting on the potty might entice some of the deniers here to face reality.

Some, but not all of course! I fully expect to see some of the usual suspects here to be back whinging and wailing when our problems don’t magically disappear next time we change government. :)

Well by God did we get enough hot air during the General Election --

"Not another cent"
    "I will make sure Roscommon Hospital remains at full service as the people deserve it"
    "It's Labour's way or Frankfurt's way"

Ha ha Do you want more of these? I have thousands.

There was enough hot air coming out of that crowd to fly a balloon around the world 10 times without landing. Eat your heart out Richard Branston. Enda and his cronies could fuel a rocket.

All good knockabout stuff but please don't give us thousands. None of what they said or what you believed gives you the right to break the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm always amazed that people swallowed all the sh!t that FG and Labour were feeding them before the election. Anyone who has a clue knew that they wouldn't be able to keep their promises.

Did it never occur to you that maybe they just said those things to get elected?? No?? I'm genuinely surprised that so many people are so outraged EVERY TIME they break a ridiculous and unrealistic promise they made before the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

All good knockabout stuff but please don't give us thousands. None of what they said or what you believed gives you the right to break the law.

the guys that made the law lied through their teeth, reason enough for any sane person to ignore it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

They should protest outside the homes of the Ministers. Make their homes the subject of the protest in the same way as they made our homes the targets of their attacks. I know for certain that this effected the thinking of Dermot Aherne when people protested outside his home. He didn't last long in his ministry afterwards and jumped ship. Protesting outside the Dail they can ignore.

Im all for picketing outside their homes-Im all for upping protests to another level-just a suggestion-what if people were to
    organise to hit their pockets in retaliation-the politicians that support a property tax- the ones that own shops or small businesses-if someone was to gather a list of businesses owned by these politicians, publish the list through a facebook page and ask the general public to boycott all the following shops/small businesses to hit their pockets like they want to hit ours.

MadYaker wrote: »
    I'm always amazed that people swallowed all the sh!t that FG and Labour were feeding them before the election. Anyone who has a clue knew that they wouldn't be able to keep their promises.

Did it never occur to you that maybe they just said those things to get elected?? No?? I'm genuinely surprised that so many people are so outraged EVERY TIME they break a ridiculous and unrealistic promise they made before the election.

Do you think it would be a good idea to decide the election on who can tell the biggest lie?
    Like why waste so much money in these recessionary times with trips all around the country spouting s***e if it doesn't really matter?

Should we just flip a coin?

New campaign slogan "Don't Register; Just Pay"

He said they would be able to get an attachment order- which is put in place by a court to deduct wages or social welfare payments.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/news/noonan-forced-to-defend-property-tax-amid-warning-taxman-would-deduct-it-from-wages-of-nonpayers-3317852.html

They tried this with the poll tax.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81295401&postcount=9695

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

anyone who would vote for someone they know is dishonest shouldnt be allowed suffrage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Good for you.

How dare You accuse me of being a tax cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Good for you.

Mod

No mod warnings for ages, we were doing so well.

Please don't flame. This applies to all.

Word of the day: Subservient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Just to put the record straight:

I HAVE NOT paid the HHC...I have paid ( or am in the process ) all my taxes to 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

mikom wrote: »
    Word of the day: Subservient
    I'm sure Sean Quinn would thank you too, if he wasn't in the clink. :pac:

lugha wrote: »
    I'm sure Sean Quinn would thank you too, if he wasn't in the clink. :pac:

I'm sure Enda would be the first to thank you if he could get a 3g signal on the side of Croagh Patrick.

Put forward another suggestion people could do-your local labour councillers-your local labour senator or labour td-target labour in particular-my suggeestion is for people to gather a list of phone numbers for local labour reps in your areas-publish the list on your facebook or twitter pages -ask all your friends to let labour reps know how you feel about this property tax and cuts to child benifet-target labour put these working class traiters under a bit of pressure.

Do you think it would be a good idea to decide the election on who can tell the biggest lie?
    Like why waste so much money in these recessionary times with trips all around the country spouting s***e if it doesn't really matter?

No I don't think we should decide elections on who can tell the biggest lie but when telling the truth about what you will be forced to do in government would ensure that you come last in the election what do you expect politicians to do? That sad reality was that it didn't matter who we voted for in the last election.

If FG and Labour told us that they were going to have no choice but to attack the middle/working classes with cuts and bring in swathes of new taxes to try and get our public finances in order for the benefit of future generations would you have voted for them? I doubt you would and neither would most of the electorate because the reality is that most people aren't prepared to face up to the situation our country is in, they want to be bankrolled by their European counterparts for free and they would rather bury their heads in the sand and blame the government, who had no hand in creating this mess, instead of facing the facts.

And the media of course are only too happy to fan the flames of hatred, anything that will sell them a few more newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Good for you.

We get the point by now, cut it out will you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

No I don't think we should decide elections on who can tell the biggest lie but when telling the truth about what you will be forced to do in government would ensure that you come last in the election what do you expect politicians to do? That sad reality was that it didn't matter who we voted for in the last election.

If FG and Labour told us that they were going to have no choice but to attack the middle/working classes with cuts and bring in swathes of new taxes to try and get our public finances in order for the benefit of future generations would you have voted for them? I doubt you would and neither would most of the electorate because the reality is that most people aren't prepared to face up to the situation our country is in, they want to be bankrolled by their European counterparts for free and they would rather bury their heads sand and blame the government instead of facing the facts.

And the media of course are only too happy to fan the flames of hatred, anything that will sell them a few more newspapers.

They had no choice?

Here's one, just one little suggestion they could have done, and I can't work out why they didn't:

Anyone wishing to claim dole in Ireland is means tested, many, genuinely poor desperate folk get turned away.

Child benefit is payable to anyone, ffs Michael O'Leary was giving out that he even got it.

What the coalition do? Cut it by €10 a month for all.

Michael O'Leary doubtfully will miss that tenner, a single mother, two or three kids whose lost her job due to the business she worked for shouting down as the bank wouldn't finance it (probably) will.

Why not means test child benefit?

Jaysus, some of the needy cases might even have got a few bob more when the need nots were stripped of it?

No choices me hole.

Am Chile wrote: »
    Put forward another suggestion people could do-your local labour councillers-your local labour senator or labour td-target labour in particular-my suggeestion is for people to gather a list of phone numbers for local labour reps in your areas-publish the list on your facebook or twitter pages -ask all your friends to let labour reps know how you feel about this property tax and cuts to child benifet-target labour put these working class traiters under a bit of pressure.

Better results protesting outside their homes. They don't mind targeting ours.

If FG and Labour told us that they were going to have no choice but to attack the middle/working classes with cuts and bring in swathes of new taxes to try and get our public finances in order for the benefit of future generations would you have voted for them? I doubt you would and neither would most of the electorate because the reality is that most people aren't prepared to face up to the situation our country is in, they want to be bankrolled by their European counterparts for free and they would rather bury their heads in the sand and blame the government, who had no hand in creating this mess, instead of facing the facts.

But Enda told us it was not our faults. (that was a few days before he told the Europeans that it was our faults i suppose)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

Ghandee wrote: »
    They had no choice?

Here's one, just one little suggestion they could have done, and I can't work out why.

Anyone wishing to claim dole in Ireland is means tested, many, genuinely poor desperate folk get turned away.

Child benefit is payable to anyone, ffs Michael O'Leary was giving out that he even got it.

Michael O'Leary doubtfully will miss that tenner, a single mother, two or three kids worse lost her job due to the business she worked for shouting down as the bank wouldn't finance it (probably) will.

Jaysus, some of the needy cases might even have got a few bob more when the need nots were stripped of it?

No choices me hole.

A simpler way would be for the welfare and revenue computers/people talk to talk to each other.
    Any household earning over €60-€70k or whatever figure is deemed fair, doesn't get it or it starts on a reducing scale the more people earn.

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    They had no choice?

Here's one, just one little suggestion they could have done, and I can't work out why they didn't:

Michael O'Leary doubtfully will miss that tenner, a single mother, two or three kids whose lost her job due to the business she worked for shouting down as the bank wouldn't finance it (probably) will.

No choices me hole.

I agree I don't know why it isn't means tested, and I wish someone would explain the reasons for that. But my point was that this austerity was coming no matter what, thats what I meant when I said the government don't have many choices. Reading newspapers and this website and listening to the radio I really get the impression that a lot of people believe that there is some blissful alternative to austerity and government are just putting out budgets like this because they like to watch us squirm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement