Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 3] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

MadYaker wrote: »
    I agree I don't know why it isn't means tested, and I wish someone would explain the reasons for that. But my point was that this austerity was coming no matter what, thats what I meant when I said the government don't have many choices. Reading newspapers and this website and listening to the radio I really get the impression that a lot of people believe that there is some blissful alternative to austerity and government are just putting out budgets like this because they like to watch us squirm.
    Think you might be better having a few rounds of handball against a hay stack instead of trying in instill a bit of reality around here MY. :cool:
    The Nile is in Egypt didn't you know? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

lugha wrote: »
    Think you might be better having a few rounds of handball against a hay stack instead of trying in instill a bit of reality around here MY. :cool:
    The Nile is in Egypt didn't you know? :pac:

And are people who jump into the river in Paris In-seine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Better results protesting outside their homes. They don't mind targeting ours.

Why not both-if Labour reps were getting angry phone calls from people in their constituency-followed on by pickets outside their homes-I think they would feel uncomfortable and feel a bit of pressure for their actions in this weeks budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Think you might be better having a few rounds of handball against a hay stack instead of trying in instill a bit of reality around here MY.
    The Nile is in Egypt didn't you know?

You're probably right. I surrender.

Fu*k the government! It's all their fault! They are all evil assholes even though I voted for them because I'm so naive I believed all the rubbish they fed me before the last election. Now I'm off the read the daily mail and then ring joe duffy to complain about the increase in the price of cigarettes.

You're probably right. I surrender.

Fu*k the government! It's all their fault! They are all evil assholes even though I voted for them because I'm so naive I believed all the rubbish they fed me before the last election. Now I'm off the read the daily mail and then ring joe duffy to complain about the increase in the price of cigarettes.

Ah sure you'll get your auld Christmas Card from Enda no doubt for you're loyalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

No I don't think we should decide elections on who can tell the biggest lie but when telling the truth about what you will be forced to do in government would ensure that you come last in the election what do you expect politicians to do? That sad reality was that it didn't matter who we voted for in the last election.

Just suppose for a minute that they all told the truth..... nah, forget it. But what if there were some sort of repercussions for breaking their word... possibly reductions in their salaries for each piece of bullsh*te
    And the media of course are only too happy to fan the flames of hatred, anything that will sell them a few more newspapers.

That's the media for you..

Ah sure you'll get your auld Christmas Card from Enda no doubt for you're loyalty.

How predictable. I didn't vote in the last election because there wasn't even 1 candidate worth voting for. I knew FG and Labour would be exactly the same as Fianna Fail were, perhaps a little less corrupt. It was obvious that no matter who I voted for these austere budgets were coming, and since all Irish political parties are basically the same in terms of their ideologies I didn't see the point in voting so I didn't bother. If I could have voted against Sinn Fein without having to vote in favour of anyone I would have done that.

But I do love how everyone who doesn't blindly join the angry mob gets labelled as a government supporter :D

How predictable. I didn't vote in the last election because there wasn't even 1 candidate worth voting for. I knew FG and Labour would be exactly the same as Fianna Fail were, perhaps a little less corrupt. It was obvious that no matter who I voted for these austere budgets were coming, and since all Irish political parties are basically the same in terms of their ideologies I didn't see the point in voting so I didn't bother. If I could have voted against Sinn Fein without having to vote in favour of anyone I would have done that.

But I do love how everyone who doesn't blindly join the angry mob gets labelled as a government supporter :D

I was probably spot on so :D

Right..... It's impossible to have debate when you're either not reading / ignoring everything that is posted by people who don't agree with you.

Right..... It's impossible to have debate when you're either not reading / ignoring everything that is posted by people who don't agree with you.

Oh I read it alright. Just don't always believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Well, as a politician once said to me, if you dont vote in a election, you relinquish your right to criticise anyone that does vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

That WE pay for TL:(

And are people who jump into the river in Paris In-seine?
    Ah now, I wouldn’t say you’re insane. A ten year old could tell you that you cannot indefinitely spend more money that you earn. But sure if you can’t see it you can’t see it. Hardly constitutes insanity!

Dreaming up delusional conspiracies where anyone who takes a different view to you is really a lizard or a government shill or whatever it is you think, is a tiny bit more worrying, but I don’t think we’ll be dispatching you to nurse Retched for that either. :)

Threatening to burn down your house on the other hand ……. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A ten year old could tell you that you cannot indefinitely spend more money that you earn.

Is that only applicable to the state, or people/households as well?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Few bits of news on the Property Tax today.

The Thonhill Report, which was commissioned to analyse the structure of the proposed tax was published:

http://www.environ.ie/en/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,31669,en.Pdf

Also, the Indo is reporting that, as with Income Tax, failure to pay the new Property Tax could lead to an audit:
    Property tax dodgers will be "safe to assume" that Revenue will look at their income, said a source, adding: "Non-payment or late payment of income tax triggers a look at tax offences, which may result in an audit."

The Revenue Commissioners are expected to use their Risk Evaluation Analysis and Profiling (REAP) for non-compliant taxpayers.

The Thonhill Report, which was commissioned to analyse the structure of the proposed tax was published:

Also, the Indo is reporting that, as with Income Tax, failure to pay the new Property Tax could lead to an audit:

I can imagine a family 6 months in arrears and job lost, having to worry about a tax audit alright.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Thornhill has advised removing the exemption for discretionary trusts:
    Group is,however, concerned that the exemption provided for in the Household Charge legislation for discretionary trusts is a potential vehicle for tax avoidance. It would be relatively easy for a property owner to place the ownership of properties into a discretionary trust and for the trustees to rent the house back to the person setting up the trust, or to a family member, for a nominal or no rent. It is recommended that this exemption not be provided for the local property tax, or at the minimum, that it be restricted to trusts where the beneficiary lives in the house or apartment and is incapacitated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

How many PAYE workers will be worried about an audit Vlad?

Seriously?

More scare mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Council Tenants to pay property tax through an increase in their rents, making the Property Tax more equitable than the HHC

Also, as I predicted, Revenue will audit your ass for refusing to pay. Time to pay up, lads. Don't want to end up like Mick Wally, now do we? ;-)
    Similar to the Revenue's policy on income tax dodgers, failure to pay the property tax will result in people running the risk of an audit.

Ghandee wrote: »
    How many PAYE workers will be worried about an audit Vlad?

Seriously?

More scare mongering.

Total BS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭loggedoff

Oh yea, how did that work out for Mick.
    I still see him sitting in the Dail, drawing down his big pay and building up his pension rights.

Amazing how the ones in favour of this are now using the Indo as a source.
    Normally they say the Indo is a rag and we're not to believe a word it prints.....

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Is that only applicable to the state, or people/households as well?
    I would have thought it broadly applies, unless you can get yourself a sugar daddy? Do you disagree? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Some of those recommendations are interesting enough, such as

The rate of interest that should apply to late payments of LPT is the rate that is applied to unpaid tax generally.

Interest and penalties in respect of evasion of LPT should count for consideration for publication in the same way as any other tax or duty evaded.

I would have thought it broadly applies, unless you can get yourself a sugar daddy? Do you disagree? :confused:

Well some here seem to believe everyone in Ireland can afford all increases. At least one even claimed no one in Ireland cant afford property charges. Do you agree with them?

We are the state's 'sugar daddy'.

Isn't it great though that us in Dublin and surrounding counties will be expected to pay the majority of a property tax again. Carrying the ones outside the pale once again.
    Where would ya's be only for us.:D
    You know,if you live in a house down the country worth €50k or €100k, you'll probably pay less than the HHC.
    Is it any wonder theres so many here wanting a property tax. Get the Dubs to subsidise ya's.

Some interesting stuff in the report too on why they chose a market value tax versus site value one.
    Both residential market value and SVT meet a number of important policy criteria. The arguments for SVT are outweighed by the likely difficulties in ensuring acceptance by taxpayers i.e. arriving at values that were evidence based, understandable and acceptable to the general public, and the wider difficulty in achieving a step change in how property is assessed and taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

As already asked, my salary gets all my taxes/prsi/usc deducted at source, I'm a PAYE worker.

I'm not registered for vat, and therefor my dealings with revenue are non existent.

I'm willing to wager, that 90%+ of the people so far of the 50% that haven't registered or paid the hhc will be in the same boat as myself.

What have I, or the rest got to fear by a revenue audit?

Take your time answering now, here all day. ;)

• Advertisement

Only 65% of tax collected to go to the areas where it was collected!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement