Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couple can keep Nigerian baby after 'scam' ruling

• 19-10-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭

A couple who had thought they were expecting, after being told they couldn't have children, later found out that she was never pregnant and that the baby the mother was handed after the "birth" was not biologically theirs.

A couple, who could not have children, have been told by the High Court they can keep a baby born in Nigeria, despite tests showing they were not the child's biological parents.

The mother said she was tricked by a doctor into believing she had given birth while sedated, after she went to Nigeria for fertility treatment.

The local authority had claimed the couple's story was a "charade".
    But the judge ruled they were victims of an "appalling scam". The presiding judge Mr Justice Coleridge added the case was "extraordinary, bizarre and worrying".

Charities meanwhile have raised concerns about the judgement, warning it may encourage trafficking.

'Desperate and distressed'

At the High Court on Thursday, Mr Justice Coleridge ruled that the pair, who he described as people of the "highest calibre", should be given custody of the girl who is nearly two years old.

The couple - who live in London but cannot be named for legal reasons - failed to conceive a child despite undergoing IVF treatment in the UK.

They were said to be "desperate and distressed".

In 2010, the couple travelled to Nigeria where the woman received fertility treatment at a private clinic.

She told the court that when she returned to the clinic months later she was sedated. When she regained consciousness she was handed a baby and told she had given birth.

On her return to London, a GP raised concerns. The child was taken into care and a DNA test proved the child was not related to the couple.

They then launched legal proceedings to get custody.

At an earlier court hearing the local authority argued that the couple's story was a "charade", and they were "knowing and willing participants" in the scheme.
    The court was told that such "baby exchange" frauds were common in Nigeria. Police and immigration officials in the UK are believed to be investigating several incidents.

But Mr Justice Coleridge decided the pair were victims of the "most appalling scam". He described them as "people of the highest calibre and of complete integrity". He added he was "deeply impressed by their humanity".

On Thursday he awarded the parents custody of the child. The local authority agreed to return her to them within seven days. The judge also made it clear the case was not an isolated example. He spoke of other cases before the court "on almost identical facts".

He said it was in the public interest for this case to be widely known.

'Unscrupulous people'

The local authority involved - which also cannot be revealed for legal reasons - said they were "disappointed" with the judgement.

"Our concern has been, and continues to be, what is in the best interest of this young child.

"We will now do all we can to ensure the child continues to thrive."

Elsewhere, some charities have expressed concerns that the judgement will have a wider negative effect and will encourage traffickers.

Andy Elvin, chief executive of Children and Families Across Borders, said: "These unscrupulous people will exploit people for vast amounts of money."

He added there is likely to be an upsurge in applications for visas for babies coming from Nigeria.

"Behind every one of these children lies an actual birth mother. She has been coerced, she may have been kidnapped or raped.

"These children are not given up willingly."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19996987

I can't even imagine what this family went through. From the devastation of not being able to have children, to the elation in thinking they could, back to having their world shattered in learning that the child isn't their own.

While part of me is happy that the now 2 year old girl is to stay with the only parents she has known, the other part of me wonders were any attempts made to track down her birth mother/parents? While attempts may have been futile, surely this is something that should of at least been pursued?

Very upsetting if true. Damn skepticism.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

How do you go though nine months of pregnancy and birth without noticing absolutely nothing has changed. I've read about women going in to labour without knowing they had been pregnant but to have been told you are pregnant and to be looking for signs of pregnancy and see nothing. Not a single scan or check up in the UK. Very hard to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Reads to me like they went out there to buy a baby-despite what the judge says.

It's not as if the men in wigs are all knowing and infallible, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

Cleeo wrote: »
    Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19996987

I can't even imagine what this family went through. From the devastation of not being able to have children, to the elation in thinking they could, back to having their world shattered in learning that the child isn't their own.

While part of me is happy that the now 2 year old girl is to stay with the only parents she has known, the other part of me wonders were any attempts made to track down her birth mother/parents? While attempts may have been futile, surely this is something that should of at least been pursued?

Really?
    Do you honestly believe they thought it was theirs?

Depressing stuff. I wonder if the child was given up willingly or just kidnapped and sold to this desperate couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Apparently, the treatment she received caused "symptoms" of pregnancy. As for scans in the UK, I assume from the article that she spent the 9 months in Nigeria, where she received the treatment and gave "birth." If they can fake a pregnancy, I'm sure they can fake scans...

Very upsetting if true though.

Edit: Meant to add the last line above in my OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

How did she think she had given birth if she was not pregnant, I feel sorry for the child, they might love the baby but they lied to get her.

Story makes no sense at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Well if she was pregnant what happened to her child.
    Smells fishy to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That judge was hoodwink and he dose'nt even know it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Cleeo wrote: »
    Apparently, the treatment she received caused "symptoms" of pregnancy. As for scans in the UK, I assume from the article that she spent the 9 months in Nigeria, where she received the treatment and gave "birth." If they can fake a pregnancy, I'm sure they can fake scans...

Very upsetting if true though.

Edit: Meant to add the last line above in my OP.
    Could be, I took "She told the court that when she returned to the clinic months later she was sedated." to mean that she left Nigeria but it later says "On her return to London..." so I guess she spent the time there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Nigeria - synonymous with world class fertility clinics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

A scam from Nigeria?
    Whoever would have thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They nearly had me fooled till I saw a picture of them.

ownedwtf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

ownedwtf.jpg

Whole thing reminds me of the Only Fools when Del tries to sell a black baby to Marlene and Boycie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

ownedwtf.jpg

And he grew up to be a genuine businessman.

http://www.e4.com/picture/A5C67BA7-C7B7-4AED-9D91-5D5593E46230/view.e4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

humbert wrote: »
    How do you go though nine months of pregnancy and birth without noticing absolutely nothing has changed. I've read about women going in to labour without knowing they had been pregnant but to have been told you are pregnant and to be looking for signs of pregnancy and see nothing. Not a single scan or check up in the UK. Very hard to believe.

To be fair, it doesnt say 9 months....... she is "treated" and some time later ( 3 months?? 4 months??) has a miraculous baby when she is back in the clinic...........these people know the truth they just dont accept it.

Advertisement