Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband and bundles: Sky box + UPC phone?

Options
  • 19-10-2012 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Anybody on UPC broadband/bundle who has kept Sky?

Planning to switch from eircom to UPC broadband as UPC seem to offer reasonably predictable speed and eircom have fallen off the cliff there, regularly <1MB.:mad:

Would switch to UPC for phone too - however want to keep Sky for tv but I hear the Sky HD box does not like UPC phone.

Anybody know the story here? 3 suppliers would be madness but tbh have had enough of eircom broadband.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

martin27 wrote: »
    Anybody on UPC broadband/bundle who has kept Sky?

Planning to switch from eircom to UPC broadband as UPC seem to offer reasonably predictable speed and eircom have fallen off the cliff there, regularly <1MB.:mad:

Would switch to UPC for phone too - however want to keep Sky for tv but I hear the Sky HD box does not like UPC phone.

Anybody know the story here? 3 suppliers would be madness but tbh have had enough of eircom broadband.
    I have UPC Broadband and phone and Sky+ HD for TV
    I don't have the sky box connected to the phone line, you don't need to have it connected if you're with Sky for over a year and don't have multi room..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 martin27

Thanks Mark - actually we have multiroom, does no phone line make a difference to the service or does it just mean Sky doesn't hassle you about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

I have UPC phone and broadband, and sky multi room. I have the sky boxes connected to the UPC phone, and everything works fine.

No special setup required, other than running the phone cables from UPC modem to the sky boxes.

dancin wrote: »
    I have UPC phone and broadband, and sky multi room. I have the sky boxes connected to the UPC phone, and everything works fine.

No special setup required, other than running the phone cables from UPC modem to the sky boxes.

Great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Worked fine for me on Digiweb Metro, and UPC. My tips are to keep the phone lines as short as possible (put your UPC modem somewhere between the 2 boxes), use decent quality phone cable, and connect both/all Sky boxes to the same TEL1/TEL2 port on the modem (usually only one of these ports is active, anyway). You can do a new install (Google it; on older boxes it's Services,4,0,1,Select) to test the phone line can phone home successfully. I found UPC to be much more tolerant of phone line distance/quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

martin27 wrote: »
    Thanks Mark - actually we have multiroom, does no phone line make a difference to the service or does it just mean Sky doesn't hassle you about it?

If you don't have the multitoom Sky boxes connected to a phone line Sky will charge you full subscription price for every multiroom box not connected.

The reason Sky want the multiroom boxes connected to a phone line is to make sure they are all at the address that they're supposed to be at.

If you don't have the multitoom Sky boxes connected to a phone line Sky will charge you full subscription price for every multiroom box not connected.

The reason Sky want the multiroom boxes connected to a phone line is to make sure they are all at the address that they're supposed to be at.

Thanks, hadn't twigged that, appreciate the steer.

Advertisement