Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VAT on imports into the UK?

• 19-10-2012 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

I've had an enquiry from a UK buyer on a car that I have for sale. He was concerned that he would have to pay 20% VAT on the purchase of the car upon entry to the UK. I didn't think that would be the case on a used car from within the EU but I'd like to hear from someone who knows for sure.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

No VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

thanks Kenny ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

I've had an enquiry from a UK buyer on a car that I have for sale. He was concerned that he would have to pay 20% VAT on the purchase of the car upon entry to the UK. I didn't think that would be the case on a used car from within the EU but I'd like to hear from someone who knows for sure.

Anyone?

VAT can only be charged once on a car in the EU either when bought new or at time of import for a used vehicle like from Japan and they charge VAT on the purchase price of the car in Japan plus shipping cost But bring a car into Ireland and change the A in vat to an R and revenue fleece you . Isn't being in the EU great.

bbsrs wrote: »
    VAT can only be charged once on a car in the EU either when bought new or at time of import for a used vehicle

So you concur with Kenny Logins above? If the car sells to the UK, the buyer won't be liable for VAT since it was paid when the car was bought new in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

So you concur with Kenny Logins above? If the car sells to the UK, the buyer won't be liable for VAT since it was paid when the car was bought new in Ireland.

That is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

The enquirer doesn't have a clue. The UK Gov website probably confuses some people as it starts off with new stuff, rather than second-hand.

Anyway, what you say is correct, if the enquirer still has doubts, refer them politely to contact HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).
    You don’t have to pay VAT if:
    • you’re importing a second-hand vehicle and the VAT was paid in another EU country
    http://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/vat-duty-and-tax-vehicles-from-within-the-eu

(From your point of view, if selling the car for export. Give the buyer the complete original Vehicle Registration Certificate. Send a photocopy of it and a covering letter saying that you sold it for export on x date, to (new owner), of (address of new owner), and have given the original document to the buyer in order for them to register it in their own country.)

macplaxton wrote: »
    Send a photocopy of it and a covering letter saying that you sold it for export on x date, to (new owner), of (address of new owner), and have given the original document to the buyer in order for them to register it in their own country.)

send to who? Shannon? Local motor tax office?

thanks for the info. I've sent a link to this thread to the enquirer for his information. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I'd send a covering letter to Shannon if it's a current style Vehicle Registration Certificate (different procedures may apply to older paperwork and that's possibly a motor tax office job)

I'm just thinking it's the reversal of the process. Both here and the UK, if it's a domestic sale, the seller does the paperwork to make sure they don't get any subsequent tickets landing on the matt. However if it's a sale for export from the UK to anywhere, they tell you to just write them a letter and give the doc to new owner. When the foreign owner registers it in their home country, their home country should notify the previous country's vehicle registration body.

This post and thread might be handy to look at too:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69628809&postcount=14

From that, it doesn't look like you're obliged to inform Shannon, but I'd do it anyway and keep records of everything as an arse-covering exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

There's only one "But" here: all the above is true if the car has indeed an Irish (or other European) registration.

But if it is a car that was imported from, let's say South Africa, and never legally imported here, the buyer will have to pay all the duties involved when he present the car to be registered in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Anyone?

I sold 2 used cars to UK this year, and I can confirm there is no VAT for the buyer.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

galwaytt wrote: »
    I sold 2 used cars to UK this year, and I can confirm there is no VAT for the buyer.

yep, same here, i ship a lot of cars to the uk, and there's no vat.

Re; informing shannon about the export, yeah, just drop them a line, but by law you don't have to, shure there's not even an export slip on our irish reg doc...

Advertisement