Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Spanish cop lays out plan to prevent recording and circulation of police actions.

• 19-10-2012 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

In a nutshell Spanish cops are corrupt and violent bast*ards.

If Spanish cops can get away with invoking this type of fascism to cover up any evidence of their brutality how long will it be before other countries in Europe follow suit?

The director general of police, Ignacio Cosidó, announced on Thursday that the authorities are studying the possibility that the next update to the Public Security Law could include an article prohibiting the recording, processing or circulation on the internet of police officers performing their duties, if doing so would endanger them or the operation in which they were engaged.

The police chief said the reform to the Public Security Law, which is being studied by the Interior Ministry, would seek to “strike a balance between the protection of the rights of citizens and those of members of the security forces. Only in recognition of the immense labor of the security forces are we able to progress toward achieving a more just, safer and peaceful society.”

The reform to the law could also include a penalty for taking part in a protest with a covered face.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/10/18/inenglish/1350588780_276075.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Glad I don't plan on living in Spain anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Why is it necessary to chase someone to hit them around the head, then pull them to the ground & beat them around the head some more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Two points:

1. People don't go to protests with their faces covered to act in a peaceful manner.
    2. Police should not only be allowed to be filmed in the course of their duties, they should be encouraged to be filmed.

In the videos, the police are heavily outnumbered and dealing with a very hostile crowd.

The protest in Dame street showed far more police disorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In the videos, the police are heavily outnumbered and dealing with a very hostile crowd.

The protest in Dame street showed far more police disorder.
    You didn't see any Gardai beating up women with batons on Dame St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

That's right son - you saw nothing.

Where you there? I was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Where you there? I was.
    Any videos of it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Our Gardai were heroes on Dame Street.

This 'talk' from the Spanish director general of police is only that - talk. A lot of hype over nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Where you there? I was.

You talking about Reclaim The Streets in 2002?

• Advertisement

Bradidup wrote: »
    Any videos of it ?

There was certainly a few floating around back then but video on phones wasn't a standard thing so footage is rare. Try searching for Mayday protest. or battle of Dame street.
    Gee Bag wrote: »
    You talking about Reclaim The Streets in 2002?

Thats the one, how time flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Piliger wrote: »
    Our Gardai were heroes on Dame Street.
    Yeah. :rolleyes:

Perhaps half a dozen officers including Garda Donal Corcoran, the garda nicknamed "Robocop", find themselves part of a major investigation.

It was "Robocop", a strapping six-footer who works as a community policeman around Mountjoy , who was videotaped wielding his baton like the late drummer Keith Moon.

He wore no identification numbers on his shoulders, an omission he must explain to his superiors. So far the Garda Complaints Board has received 12 complaints though it is not known if any relate to Garda Corcoran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Thats the one, how time flies.

In that case I extend fraternal greetings to you Comrade Micky Dolenz (unless you were on duty that day, in which case you can go f*ck yourself!)

I didn't realise it was that long ago until I typed it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Tbf, only the second last scene in the first video looks like the police is putting any force into the blow.

And in the second video that is one hell of a crowd:O RT only seem to be showing a cropped view, but Jesus they certainly gave as good as they got. And the majority of the protesters seemed to be able to walk away, which, in all honesty, you wouldn't be able to after being hit full force with a truncheon.

Edit: also, in what world does Spain decide the EU's internal policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

please stop posting scare mongering sh1te,you've ruined the conspiracy theories forum.Leave AH alone!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Dame St was a triumph for Gardaí. There's something entertaining about a handful of violent student protesters getting a hiding that maintains my respect for this country and its organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Two points:

1. People don't go to protests with their faces covered to act in a peaceful manner.

Do you think it should be a criminal offence to cover your face in public?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yes, what have you got to hide?

Only if your face is four arses

Ara shtop, this aint the Borderlands. (Wonder will anybody get the reference)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Ara shtop, this aint the Borderlands. (Wonder will anybody get the reference)

"Shoot me in the face! IN THE FAAAACCCCCEEEEEE!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I was gonna press the play button on the video.......

Then i saw the RT logo, enough said, nothing to see here

Yes,

So you have fascist fantasies is it?
    what have you got to hide?

What concern is it of yours or anyone else if I choose to cover my face? How about **** off and leave me alone I'm not bothering you?

****ing hell it's like the slaves are glad of their chains.

So you have fascist fantasies is it?

What concern is it of yours or anyone else if I choose to cover my face? How about **** off and leave me alone I'm not bothering you?

****ing hell it's like the slaves are glad of their chains.

Wow. Can't cover your face? Feckin fascists at it again.

Two can play at that game - bloody lefty liberals at it again

donvito99 wrote: »
    Wow. Can't cover your face? Feckin fascists at it again.

1. What concern is it of yours or anyone else if I choose to cover my face?

2. How about **** off and leave me alone if I'm not bothering you?

You are bothering me. You would part Grafton Street like the cobbled red sea that it is in covering your face.

Now stop being a point of law prat and start living like all other, straightforward people.

You are bothering me.

How exactly? You're choosing to be bothered about something like a Joe Duffy whinger.
    Now stop being a point of law prat and start living like all other, straightforward people.

Stay outa my ****, don't be a busy body - Joe Duffy biddy, and we won't have a problem.

Stop thinking like a cheerful slave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

And we wonder why no-one in Ireland ever really protests. The attitude is "take it up the rear, no matter what, dem protesters are duurty hippies". Sad really. And pretty dumb. It is the threat of protests that keeps any Government half-way straight. Probably why ours is so bent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You are bothering me. You would part Grafton Street like the cobbled red sea that it is in covering your face.

How exactly? You're choosing to be bothered about something like a Joe Duffy whinger.

Stay outa my ****, don't be a busy body - Joe Duffy biddy, and we won't have a problem.

Stop thinking like a cheerful slave.
    mod

Cut it out, you two.

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    It is the threat of protests that keeps any Government half-way straight. Probably why ours is so bent.

And all the while we have people who think that covering your face should be a criminal offence. :confused:

It's a bit like something Stalin would have tried to introduce.

It's frightening how many people will happily cede their freedoms to institutions who couldn't give a fuck about their well being.
    They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

Why is it that anyone who has a viewpoint contrary to militant protest/some rightly non-existent liberties, seen as "taking it up the rear"!

Only to be expected on boards.

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety

And covering your face for reasons other than religion is an essential liberty?

I suppose we'll be wanting the right to bear arms now? It is of course an essential liberty in this country nowadays, seeing as the Gov couldn.t give a toss about our well being!

Nonsense.

I suppose we'll be wanting the right to bear arms now? It is of course an essential liberty in this country nowadays, seeing as the Gov couldn.t give a toss about our well being!

Nonsense.
    I both expect this right and excercise this right. Also, your username is a bit edgy, but you seem quite square. Don Vito.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Nonsense.

The essential liberty is that we should repel the state's intervention into our lives except what is necessary and proportionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

kincsem wrote: »
    Yeah. :rolleyes:

Perhaps half a dozen officers including Garda Donal Corcoran, the garda nicknamed "Robocop", find themselves part of a major investigation.

It was "Robocop", a strapping six-footer who works as a community policeman around Mountjoy , who was videotaped wielding his baton like the late drummer Keith Moon.

He wore no identification numbers on his shoulders, an omission he must explain to his superiors. So far the Garda Complaints Board has received 12 complaints though it is not known if any relate to Garda Corcoran.

Gda Corcoran was found not guilty of all charges in court and to the best of my knowledge no member of AGS was deemed to have broken any laws on that occasion.

Several students were later convicted of offences.

• Advertisement

talla10 wrote: »
    Gda Corcoran was found not guilty of all charges in court and to the best of my knowledge no member of AGS was deemed to have broken any laws on that occasion.

He did not fair the same in civil case against the state re his actions on that day. You will accept he did do something wrong knowing that.

Criminal damage to a Garda baton??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats this, rules for protesting no 1,"use women as shields cos if police hit them they are evil"?

Having the choice to is.

Being violently forced to remove a face covering would be a gross violation of a person's right to be left the fuck alone.

The essential liberty is that we should repel the state's intervention into our lives except what is necessary and proportionate.

And I find the claim that the right to cover ones face to be both an unneccessary and disproportionate insult to all of out other civil liberties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Having the choice to is.

Being violently forced to remove a face covering would be a gross violation of a person's right to be left the fuck alone.

You can do it all you want. Just don't expect to be allowed to freely cover your face while blocking up public streets or smashing up businesses.

And I find the claim that the right to cover ones face to be both an unneccessary and disproportionate insult to all of out other civil liberties.

So, in your view, a person should rightly be charged and convicted of a offence for speaking at a protest rally supporting the right to abortion because they wanted to remain private for their own reasons.

You have no idea what freedom means.

You can do it all you want. Just don't expect to be allowed to freely cover your face while blocking up public streets or smashing up businesses.

It is necessary and proportionate to remove face coverings of a person breaking the law.

Only one person suggested, and agreed, with covering your face being disallowed (and even then I got the sense he meant only during protest). Also, swearing and calling someone, out of hand, a Fascist or a Joe Duffy Brigade does absolutely nothing to further your argument.

And why is everybody who does not want to protest described, with the delightful phrase, "Taking it up the rear"? Is it because they do not blindly follow a protest movement (a la Occupy) that does not give concrete aims or how they achieve them?

He did not fair the same in civil case against the state re his actions on that day. You will accept he did do something wrong knowing that.

Do not tell me what I will or will not accept!! He was found not guilty of the alleged offences which you have reported as fact in the criminal courts. Therefore I will accept he is innocent of all charges.

Do not tell me what I will or will not accept!! He was found not guilty of the alleged offences which you have reported as fact in the criminal courts. Therefore I will accept he is innocent of all charges.

I have said nothing about him being guilty of a criminal offence as fact or opinion.

He was found not guilty in the criminal courts indeed, therefore you should accept that he was not guilty of those charges.

No such adjudication was made by the civil court, the matter was settled against the state, which means that they felt that most of the evidence went against him.

kincsem wrote: »

It was "Robocop", a strapping six-footer who works as a community policeman around Mountjoy , who was videotaped wielding his baton like the late drummer Keith Moon..

You have clearly stated as a fact that he used his baton inappropriately when this was proven not to be the case.

You have clearly stated as a fact that he used his baton inappropriately when this was proven not to be the case.

Em, that's not me.

Aplogies username I've just noticed you did not post that. Sorry

Aplogies username I've just noticed you did not post that. Sorry

No problem. Have a good night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement