Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Work jobs

• 19-10-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey does anyone know if having a 3 year bachelor degree in professional social care would qualify me to work in canada as a social worker, all im seeing is that you need a bachelors degree in social work or a related field to qualify, any responses are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Do not come to Canada if your career path is in social care. I have many friends here who came to Canada with the hope of securing positions within the social care industry and they can't. You have to sit exams again & get your transcripts changed over which costs a couple of hundred dollars I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

if you search for the group Irish in Calgary on facebook there are people there who are working in social work and Irish so it can be done.

For pretty much any professional degree you will need to get re-certified and get transcripts so don't let that put you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

nicolle wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know if having a 3 year bachelor degree in professional social care would qualify me to work in canada as a social worker, all im seeing is that you need a bachelors degree in social work or a related field to qualify, any responses are greatly appreciated!

OP, you're not a Social Worker. From your post you've a degree in social care which is different from social work. In order to become a social worker you will need to either do the two year masters here in Ireland (on top of your degree) or do another 4 year social work degree.

The title social worker is a professional an protected title and you can land in very hot water if you apply for positions saying you are one.

Have a look at the Canadian Assocation of SW's to see what I mean.http://www.casw-acts.ca/en/about-casw It's the same all over the world.

It might be worth contacting social care agencies/local authorities who might be able to provide help getting work in your field. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ajen2012

I'm in the same boat, but a three year degree should not qualify you to work as social worker.
    It's social care worker jobs you should be looking at if its the same as here!!!
    Thinking of making the move myself, ordinary BA and 5 years experience, would love some info on the situation with jobs over there and if the ordinary BA is enough

Advertisement