Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS problems?

Options
  • 19-10-2012 8:33pm

I got myself a new Eircom modem and a Samsung laptop. I also signed up to a SmartDNS service called Unotelly. For some reason the wireless connection keeps dropping. That awful little yellow triangle appears over the wireless bars in the notification area. I've changed the microfilters twice. Is it possible that the SmartDNS service is somehow damaging the filters? I ask this as things are usually grand for a few hours after changing them but everything goes to hell then. Because I got so much new stuff I can't be sure what's causing the problem. Any help you could give would be much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 caseygkcg

I use UNOtelly over a wireless connection and Eircom broadband And it works fine.
    The one thing that you need to be wary of is a change in the IP address assigned to you by Eircom. When this changes you need to go to the UNOdns website and reassign it.
    This does not happen regularly and in my experience does not happen while using the Internet and will not result in the yellow triangle.

I understand the yellow triangle means a wifi connection issue such as the router not giving you an IP address as opposed to a DNS issue. Wifi connection must be established before DNS even comes into it. When you next get the error, check if you still have a wireless connection by pinging the default gateway, typically 192.168.1.1.
    Then check if you can access a server on the Internet by pinging 8.8.8.8 (the google dns)
    Neither of these tests require dns to be working so you can rule out UNOdns as the issue.
    If these tests work then ensure you have entered the UNOdns IP address correctly, though I suspect you have if it works as expected intermittently.
    I find that the Eircom wireless device is not as robust in terms of signal strength as other makes, proximity to the router is important - I have found being too close as much of an issue as being too far away. This might be the source of the issue.

Thank you for the reply. I'm at the end of my tether here. I took out the microfilter on the modem and the one on my corded phone at 11am this morning. I also changed the DNS settings back to Google's DNS. Since then I have had no "yellow triangles" thank God. If it's not the DNS settings then something is happening the microfilters. As I said I have changed the pair of them on two occasions now.

Advertisement