Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed - Beer keg 'keggle' conversion

Options
  • 19-10-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have two beer kegs. I am converting one to a mashtun and the other to a 'keggle' to boil the wort.

I bought 2 ball-valve taps at my local diy. Both have brass 'insides' and plastic shroud on the outside. Should they survive the heat during the mash and boil? I was thinking of the heat from the burning gas rising up the side of the keg and over time, melting the tap.

What do you guys think, should they survive? Keeping in mind its brass inside. The hose adapter on the end is brass and screws on to the tap end, which is plastic. I was advised by the diy assistant that it will be ok once its not in direct contact with the heat source.

Oh, and any advice on keeping it leak free?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The mash won't be overly hot but a boil is a good deal hotter and goes on for an hour.

I had similar reservations and ended up buying 316 stainless steel ball valves from ebay just to be sure.

Regarding leaks, I got them welded, then i ground down and polished the weld so that is is smooth and no gunk can get lodged in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Sorry about the late reply. Just to let you know what worked for me. I didn't weld anything, i just used backnuts and gaskets and have never had a leak. If you want further info i can detail how my keggle is put together. Just on the whole gas thing have you considered going electric? Easier cheaper + can be done inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Mashtun wrote: »
    Sorry about the late reply. Just to let you know what worked for me. I didn't weld anything, i just used backnuts and gaskets and have never had a leak. If you want further info i can detail how my keggle is put together. Just on the whole gas thing have you considered going electric? Easier cheaper + can be done inside!

If you can I would love some detail on how you fitted the taps. Im not going to weld mine. I hadnt thought about putting a heating element in the boiler tbh. Is this how you did yours? Would love detail on this also. If u have pics it would help too. I have afair idea what to do but as you have been successful with your build, it would be great to see how you did it. If no pics, dont worry.

thanks sky king and mashtun for the replies.

Edit; I have a large Burco boiler also.
    I was thinking of heating the water in this first.
    Then in one keg do the mash.
    And in the second keg do the boil.

I was told that the heating element can get a build up of gunk over time so would I be foolish to use the burco boiler purely for the boil?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Loobz wrote: »
    If you can I would love some detail on how you fitted the taps. Im not going to weld mine. I hadnt thought about putting a heating element in the boiler tbh. Is this how you did yours? Would love detail on this also. If u have pics it would help too. I have afair idea what to do but as you have been successful with your build, it would be great to see how you did it. If no pics, dont worry.

thanks sky king and mashtun for the replies.

Edit; I have a large Burco boiler also.
    I was thinking of heating the water in this first.
    Then in one keg do the mash.
    And in the second keg do the boil.

I was told that the heating element can get a build up of gunk over time so would I be foolish to use the burco boiler purely for the boil?

The thing about the burco boiler is that i imagine taking out the element to clean it is not really an option. it would be good for just heating strike water though i'd say. i used an ultra low watt density element in mine which is just an element with a large surface area. i can take it out after every brew and give it a clean.

Everything that went into my keggle was drilled out for and tightened with nuts and gaskets, same with my tun. the outflows are done with threaded nipples, these are just little brass pipes that are threaded externally. I tightened these into place with a nut and gasket either side, no leaks.

Same idea when mounting the element. Drilled out hole and fixed on with nut + gasket. This is the kind of element i use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camco-4500W-240V-Water-Heater-Screw-In-Ripple-Fold-Back-Element-02953-/140859186174?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cbdc9bfe

Using the Burco boiler for the strike water and the other two kegs there after will be a decent setup. A lot better than my current one!

I'll see can i get a few pics up later

Advertisement