Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for Christmas

Options
  • 19-10-2012 8:40pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How is everyone getting along with their Christmas plans?

I have almost half my presents bought but no wrapping paper purchased yet.

And tonight, I will be soaking a nice big bowl of fruit in preparation making the Christmas cake tomorrow!! :D

The Christmas lights going up in parts of Dublin, the chill in the air and the dark evenings are all making me feel VERY festive right now! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

You are SO organised Posy! :eek:

I've bought nothing, but I'm eyeing up wrapping paper and tags and stuff from M&S. I hate having to buy crappy paper because I've left it too late. That's it so far, other than messing around with decorations! I really should start shopping soon to spread out the cost of Christmas. I always end up completely broke!

My mum and I don't make the cakes until near the end of November or even later.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

All my presents got as we're going to Vegas for new years so need to save for that.

Wrapped 5 presents today... Dunnes Santa wrapping paper.

Christmas cards ordered from: http://www.dreamingonastar.com/ a fellow boardsie ;)

Christmas jumpers got...

Christmas menu planned for our mini Christmas on November 17th ( some family are away for Xmas)

Tree going up November 16th

Toy show night the 30th

Booked work Christmas party

So 100% ready just have to wait a few weeks till us Christmas folk can go public!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Wow, Lisa, that's amazingly organised!! :eek:
    What Christmas jumper did you get?
    Alicat wrote: »
    I hate having to buy crappy paper because I've left it too late.
    I love really nice, good quality wrapping paper. :D
    I hate the cheap '10 sheets for a euro' type stuff. Having to put about 7 layers of the because otherwise you can still see what's in the box. How it rips if you just look at it!
    Nicely wrapped in good quality paper makes a big difference to how a gift looks I think. :)

Posy wrote: »
    Wow, Lisa, that's amazingly organised!! :eek:
    What Christmas jumper did you get?
    :)

The green snowman jumper heatons €20 pic on jumper thread

Lisa, you're making me feel very inadequate! :eek:
    Posy wrote: »
    I love really nice, good quality wrapping paper. :D
    I hate the cheap '10 sheets for a euro' type stuff. Having to put about 7 layers of the because otherwise you can still see what's in the box. How it rips if you just look at it!
    Nicely wrapped in good quality paper makes a big difference to how a gift looks I think. :)

Doesn't it fold really well at the edges? :D Everything looks so much neater wrapped in a stiff, good quality paper!

I've been wrapping professionally (:p :pac:) since I was fifteen and got a part-time Christmas job in a pharmacy as a gift wrapper. That was my job for 3/4 days. Wrapping presents. AMAZING. I got paid by the pharmacy and got tips from people, sometimes as much as a fiver for one present :eek:

• Advertisement

Wow, I've never met a professional gift wrapper before! :D

I hope the pharmacy had good paper. ;)

My sultanas/raisins/cranberries etc are all soaking in fruit juice and whiskey now. Operation 'make the Christmas cake' will be completed some time tomorrow, all going well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

When I was a teenager I always used to apply for gift wrapping jobs but I never got one. :o It would've been so much fun. I love wrapping presents, sometimes after wrapping them I unwrap them to see how they'll look and then wrap them again. :o

I haven't started any Christmas preparations yet apart from planning what I'll get for people. I think I'll wait until my birthday in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

The green snowman jumper heatons €20 pic on jumper thread

I was thinking of getting that one :)

So no presents bought yet - no idea what is wanted and no money so....
    I need to buy some jars to put my mincemeat in (I'd rather make my own as I am finding it harder and harder to get mincemeat that fits my standards!!!). We don't go through enough jarred produce quick enough to keep jars and the mammy chucked the last marmalade jar out cos she 'forgot' I wanted it :rolleyes::eek::mad::(
    So I hope to make the mincemeat at least by early November so it can soak away and become lovelier for when I make the pies in December.
    Don't eat Christmas cake so no bothers there.
    The pudding is made. In fact I made it last year. In fact last year I made last years, this years AND next years!! SO MUCH PUDDING INGREDIENTS!
    I have far to many decorations for my timy house so I am not allowed to buy any more, so the decs are all ready to go. I am going to put the tree up as early as I can get away with. I am aiming for November!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ecarg

I've most of the presents bought, a few wrapped. Christmas cards made and bought.
    They have the lights up in Limerick City centre, and a house locally that we call the 'Christmas House' has started it's mammoth task of assembling all it's outdoor decorations, so it's really starting to creep up on us. Oh and our book club has booked a Christmas meal out for December.
    I saw those Christmas jumpers in Heatons yesterday and was sorely tempted by the black one with holly :).

hdowney wrote: »

I am going to put the tree up as early as I can get away with. I am aiming for November!!!!!!

November 16th :)

• Advertisement

Ecarg wrote: »
    They have the lights up in Limerick City centre, and a house locally that we call the 'Christmas House' has started it's mammoth task of assembling all it's outdoor decorations, so it's really starting to creep up on us.
    I love the ' Christmas House!' I think almost every neighbourhood has one. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 DreaminOnAStar

All my presents got as we're going to Vegas for new years so need to save for that.

Wrapped 5 presents today... Dunnes Santa wrapping paper.

Christmas cards ordered from: http://www.dreamingonastar.com/ a fellow boardsie ;)

Christmas jumpers got...

Christmas menu planned for our mini Christmas on November 17th ( some family are away for Xmas)

Tree going up November 16th

Toy show night the 30th

Booked work Christmas party

So 100% ready just have to wait a few weeks till us Christmas folk can go public!!

OMG Thank you so much Lisa for mentioning my website. I am very flattered.
    I don't really want to advertise myself here, but the shop is down at the moment and will be up and running Sunday/Monday hopefully. I'm only saying that, because I know people came from boards.ie to take a look.

Anyway fair play to everyone for getting their preparation done early. I love Christmas and think about it well out of season but I'm not that organised at all. :D

I just like to be organised so I can get excited when December comes around, not sick with fear that I have nothing done!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi

For personal reasons, Christmas 2011 was the worst ever for me and my other half. This year I am making a special effort to get us into the Christmas buzz. 2 weeks ago I baked my very first Christmas cake (and now I am panicking as I didn't soak the fruit like Posy mentions...).
    Then last weekend was my first ever attempt at homemade mince pie filling. I live abroad and had to order the shredded suet from the Uk, but it all worked out fine. Both the cake and the jars of mince pie filling are now sitting down in the cellar and I hope they will be nice and tasty when we finally get to taste them, closer to Christmas.

Speaking of wrapping paper, has anyone tried the Ikea wrapping paper? I would just like to know what the quality is like. Saw some nice paper in the Ikea christmas brochure...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Posy, I have decided to do a Christmas Cake this year, can you gimme a recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Speaking of wrapping paper, has anyone tried the Ikea wrapping paper? I would just like to know what the quality is like. Saw some nice paper in the Ikea christmas brochure...

I got some last year. It's quite thin. I'd use it for anything square or rectangular but not for anything pointy or anything that bends easily because it tears quite easily.

hdowney wrote: »
    Posy, I have decided to do a Christmas Cake this year, can you gimme a recipe?
    I used this recipe before and it turned out pretty good so I have repeated it this year. :)
    I generally vary the fruit according to people's preferences- I put golden raisins and dried cranberries in it this year- my lot are not lovers of cherries!

There are lots of Christmas cake recipes around though, to suit different people's tastes; like Rachel Allen/Odlums/Jamie Oliver/Nigella etc.. :cool:

Just found out we'll have 24 people for Christmas Dinner this year :eek:

*faints*

Dear God, what size dining table do you have?! :eek:

We'll need to pull out all the tables I think! :D Cover them all in the same table cloth and it won't matter that they're all slightly different.

• Advertisement

Good plan! Holy crap- that's a lot of people! I'd have a 'bring your own turkey dinner' rule if that was me!! :pac:

We normally do 16-18 people, but 24 is pushing it even for us :eek: We do our dinner on Christmas Eve so our guests will still probably have their own on Christmas Day itself, so it's not like it has to be perfect. Just want to make it fun!

Mum said, "We'll have to get a folder." I LOVE folders :pac:

Alicat wrote: »
    Mum said, "We'll have to get a folder." I LOVE folders :pac:
    Oh God, me too! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh I'd love to be having loads of people over for Christmas dinner - sounds like sooo much fun:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

OMG Thank you so much Lisa for mentioning my website. I am very flattered.
    I don't really want to advertise myself here, but the shop is down at the moment and will be up and running Sunday/Monday hopefully. I'm only saying that, because I know people came from boards.ie to take a look.

Anyway fair play to everyone for getting their preparation done early. I love Christmas and think about it well out of season but I'm not that organised at all. :D

hi dreamin - do you only have the one design of Christmas card( happy snow day) or do you have a selection - would love some alternative cards to the usual ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Hi

For personal reasons, Christmas 2011 was the worst ever for me and my other half. This year I am making a special effort to get us into the Christmas buzz. 2 weeks ago I baked my very first Christmas cake (and now I am panicking as I didn't soak the fruit like Posy mentions...).
    Then last weekend was my first ever attempt at homemade mince pie filling. I live abroad and had to order the shredded suet from the Uk, but it all worked out fine. Both the cake and the jars of mince pie filling are now sitting down in the cellar and I hope they will be nice and tasty when we finally get to taste them, closer to Christmas.

hope you have a wonderful christmas this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I am finding it hard to prepare for Christmas in Ireland while abroad!

Yesterday I sent my dad a recipe to make me up some homemade blackberry liqueur, when he said he was freezing some for me. Best to let it sit a few months :)

And I've been knitting away on some things to give as gifts.

Might have to leave most of my shopping for last minute, can't fit much in my suitcases :/ So unlike me!

Other than that, just been making plans to meet up with friends and family I haven't seen all year while I am home. There's a Christmas carnival in my hometown, so excited :D
    I've been wrapping professionally ( ) since I was fifteen and got a part-time Christmas job in a pharmacy as a gift wrapper. That was my job for 3/4 days. Wrapping presents. AMAZING. I got paid by the pharmacy and got tips from people, sometimes as much as a fiver for one present

I also used to be a professional gift wrapper at the book store I used to work. I do some amazing bows!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've the mincemeat soaking for mince pies and we've already cut into my Christmas cake, I think I'll be making another one before long! I've also bought a few decorations and I've done some recce for presents. Can't wait until the Christmas cookery shows come on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MrsF2011

Wow I am so happy I came across this forum my friends think I'm mad for talking about Xmas preparations anytime before December! I have the kids dressed and half of pressies in. Menu is planned have started on baking and as for wrapping paper and tags haven't bought any yet but been eyeing up Next and M&S. I like mine to be all colour coordinated with tree decorations. Hate when you run out on you're last couple of presents and have to settle for different paper because you either don't have the time to go shopping for the exact paper or it'sold out!

Roll on Xmas 2012 everyone

• Advertisement

Welcome. :)
    You'll fit right in here.

Advertisement