Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for Christmas

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Does anyone have a special recommendation for a website that showcases 'homemade' Christmas gifts or culinary treats etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Not sure i left much in pennys for the rest of ye!

I got those bed sheets! Can't wait to put them on! The material on them is so warm, have a different set from a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

I got those bed sheets! Can't wait to put them on! The material on them is so warm, have a different set from a few years ago.

im not allowed to put them on the bed or wear my new rudolf jammys until the 16th when we put up the tree... will be such a fun night.. i love simple things like fresh sheats and fluffy jammys and even better when there for christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Argos are doing 3 for 2 on Christmas decos :)
    (Pity there's no Argos over here...)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

OMG!! Christmas bed sheets!! I need them:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Mother of god so do I. Specially after last years bed fiasco. I spent Christmas Eve upto my eyeballs, hoovering, dusting, doing a wash, preparing the veg etc, doing the table, I made all the beds fresh etc. I was exhausted.

Now the bigger of the two dogs sleeps in with me, so I let her into my room at like 11:30/midnight, went and washed my face etc then went into my room to go to bed. Well she had peed on my bed :mad: Like through my fresh duvet cover, through the duvet, through the fresh sheet and all. I was fuming. I had to sling the duvet, put the cover and sheet in the wash and put a fresh sheet on. I then had to get out a single duvet, put a cover on it and sleep under that. BAD CHRISTMAS EVE in my books.

So fresh Christmassy sheets are a must this year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Got another present this evening. Just 3 left to get! Then the wrapping will begin. :D

Oh, hdowney- you definitely deserve nice new bedsheets this year after last year's disaster! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'd be lost without amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Bought myself a little 2 foot Christmas tree and mini ornaments - can't wait to set it up soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Bought a lovely Christmas decoration in Selfridges, a present for my dad and an advent calender in Hotel Chocolat in London this weekend. The Christmas shop in Selfridges is lovely. When we went down to breakfast in our hotel this morning the lobby was full of boxes of decorations and they were putting a tree together. Wasn't allowed put ours up when we got home. :(:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Bought myself a little 2 foot Christmas tree and mini ornaments - can't wait to set it up soon!

Oh would you mind telling me where? We're going away for Christmas and I want a nice little tree to decorate in our hotel room!

Wrapping my presents today!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Posy wrote: »

You're making me panic!!!!!!!

As well you should be- it's only just over a month away, HURRY!!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Does anyone know where i could get a good non fruit christmas cake receipe. I hate all the canned peel and cheeries and all that but all the spices and the moistness of a traditional christmas cake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Posy wrote: »

don't do it.

I tried that one year, had them all lovely and wrapped - then two weeks later I saw nicer paper - had to unwrap them all and re-wrap.

wait wait wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Does anyone know where i could get a good non fruit christmas cake receipe. I hate all the canned peel and cheeries and all that but all the spices and the moistness of a traditional christmas cake

but a Christmas cake IS full of fruit.

otherwise it's not a christmas cake.

Try an everyday carrot cake if you like but it won't be a christmas cake, :D

I tried that one year, had them all lovely and wrapped - then two weeks later I saw nicer paper - had to unwrap them all and re-wrap.

wait wait wait
    The paper I used is all just plain gold/silver/red, so I think I'm safe!
    I just have a couple of ribbons to get for them- but the main ones look pretty good so there will be no unwrapping! It's so hard to make bows, but I'm getting better! :)

EDIT: Damn you, fishy fishy. I've already decided that the present I have wrapped in black and gold isn't Christmassy enough, so I will be rewrapping it in the next day or so. The rest are grand though, phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

Look up spiced cakes on www.allrecipes.co.uk I like the tropical spiced cake, but this walnut spiced cake may be more to your taste http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/18413/walnut-spice-cake.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

GAH so annoyed, was getting a trilogy on audio cassette for my dad, couldn't find one of the books anywhere, got it on Abebooks from one of their suppliers -- thing took like nearly a month to arrive and it's a flippin' BOOK...goddddamn it.
    *sigh*

Managed to find it on Amazon but another 13 quid now for that.

So glad I've still time. Sorted out the presents I already have, fixed my list etc. so I know what I've left to get. Just want to have everything so I can relax!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

That's really annoying. Shopping online is supposed to be so easy but sometimes it's infuriating!

I bought a present for my husband today and I left the bag in the kitchen right next to where he puts his bag when he comes home from work. :eek: Thankfully he didn't notice. We're going to finish our shopping tomorrow. I think I'm getting a bit too impatient now. I want to put the tree up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

eek! thank goodness he didn't notice!

I keep my presents in one of my presses and if someone needs to get at the press I'm all 'what do you want? why? is it important?!'

I can't wait til I can set up my mini tree and then wrap my presents & put them under it.

I've my fairy lights on in my room :D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I love fairy lights. I'm thinking I'm going to stick my tree up on sunday :D

I do a christmas club in work so I got my cheque today so next week I shall finish off ALL my shopping!! :D

star-pants wrote: »
    GAH so annoyed, was getting a trilogy on audio cassette for my dad, couldn't find one of the books anywhere, got it on Abebooks from one of their suppliers -- thing took like nearly a month to arrive and it's a flippin' BOOK...goddddamn it.
    That's why it pays to start early! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭xtinataguba

that is a good idea. at least you dont need to rush on christmas

Got all my Christmas decorations out of the attic today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Feeling extra christmassy today! It's Thanksgiving and my friend from work is American so we celebrated that today with pizza, cupcakes and other delights and then after we put up the Christmas decorations!! Christmas has begun in work:D

Advertisement