Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now everyone can accept credit cards

Options
  • 19-10-2012 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Saw this at the web summit:

https://sumup.com/

No connection to the company, just thought it was really cool and a big help to sole traders and small shops.

Big in Berlin apparently.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I have been looking into these recently. They seem to be getting very big in the states. I love the idea and the concept the only thing that keeps putting me off is I have a lot of older customers in my business and I have this worry that the older generation might think there card is being skimed or its a scam.

I think it will be a big thing in ireland i just think its going to take a while for trust between the customers and companies kicks in to get used to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Cool thing is you can download it onto to an iPad and get much better performance and a nice big screen to see multiple purchases say from a grocery shop instead of lots of scrolling down a phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

This was an actual idea i had maybe 3 years ago, i shared it with a few people and it was Ridiculed ..

sigh

This was an actual idea i had maybe 3 years ago, i shared it with a few people and it was Ridiculed ..

sigh

Ohh what could have been......

Would love to hear how anyone gets on if they sign up for it

Theres also:

https://sumup.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

So who is the merchant acquirer, this Sumup crowd?

• Advertisement

Seems to be from the T&C's a private German bank called 1891 Bankverein Werther AG

http://www.privatbank1891.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

One nice bonus is that it acquires the customer's email address. That would be a real boon for many in building a CRM and marketing database.
    A small point, older users will not be familiar with smartscreens and it might be an idea to have a pen sized stylus attached to the card reader for them to use.
    The only other concern is what if the customer does not have an email address? Is there any wireless small printer on the market that could fit the bill, pun intended!

Cracking idea and product

use a non apple device with a USB port maybe and plug in one of those little printers taxi drivers have maybe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I signed up for this a while back but it doesn't seem to work properly for me at the moment. I can accept credit cards alright but I have to manually enter customers details into my phone and it then sends them a text and they need to approve the transaction from their phone via a website they are sent to thru the text.

Three problems with this, one they need a smartphone, two they need an data connection and three it looks a little scammy to be honest.

For whatever reason I cant get the card scanner to work as it doesn't recognise any card that's swiped. Its not a big part of my business so I haven't' gotten onto them yet about it but it's pretty unusable for me at the moment.

PayPal also have a similar product but it's not available in Ireland at the moment but I have spoken to them and it will be launched here also next year sometime they hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

I was just about to post that I was surprised paypal hadn't entered this market yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

The guy that started Twitter owns a chunk of Square. They're doing the same thing in the States.

www.squareup.com

I dont see anything on either of these sites about chip and pin technology though.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

received mine a few weeks backs...

great idea but it will not work with VISA. here is the reply from SUMUP below. a little bit of a mis sell in my opinion but hoping they will sort it and it would be very useful for our business...

As for the VISa process, different card associations (such as Visa and MasterCard) have different rules regarding how transactions can be accepted through mobile devices. Because of Visa Europe’s rules, Visa card acceptance is currently not possible via the SumUp card reader, but can be completed by manually entering the Visa card’s details on your customer’s phone. Paying via a Visa card works as follows:

· When you want to accept a Visa card, simply select “Visa” from the choice of payment
    methods and enter your customer’s mobile phone number.

· Your customer immediately receives a text message with a unique link to a secure
    website that opens on the customer's mobile phone browser.

· On this website, your customer enters the Visa card’s details and completes the
    transaction.

We are working together with Visa Europe to allow acceptance of Visa cards also through a card reader in the future.

Not really a solution for now.

Paypal Pro seems to tick all the boxes for this type of solution but unfortunately it is not available in Ireland (yet!)...

DM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 macbookair

What percentage do these companies take of the transaction amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

macbookair wrote: »

Its on the homepage.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

macbookair wrote: »

"Just 2.75 % per transaction. No further costs. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

ir555 wrote: »
    received mine a few weeks backs...

great idea but it will not work with VISA. here is the reply from SUMUP below. a little bit of a mis sell in my opinion but hoping they will sort it and it would be very useful for our business...

As for the VISa process, different card associations (such as Visa and MasterCard) have different rules regarding how transactions can be accepted through mobile devices. Because of Visa Europe’s rules, Visa card acceptance is currently not possible via the SumUp card reader, but can be completed by manually entering the Visa card’s details on your customer’s phone. Paying via a Visa card works as follows:

· When you want to accept a Visa card, simply select “Visa” from the choice of payment
    methods and enter your customer’s mobile phone number.

· Your customer immediately receives a text message with a unique link to a secure
    website that opens on the customer's mobile phone browser.

· On this website, your customer enters the Visa card’s details and completes the
    transaction.

We are working together with Visa Europe to allow acceptance of Visa cards also through a card reader in the future.

Not really a solution for now.

Paypal Pro seems to tick all the boxes for this type of solution but unfortunately it is not available in Ireland (yet!)...

DM

No visa is a big issue as it see it with the amount of visa debit cards now out there

Gonna register because its transaction fee based, but won't be using it until they get the visa issue sorted out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Hi

Is VISA issue sorted out yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Photoshop

Is it just iphone as well?

Never liked those over priced things.

Have an android 4.0 Huawei G300, will it work?

Or is it just ios?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Photoshop

Axwell wrote: »
    "Just 2.75 % per transaction. No further costs. "

That's alot?

Seems like alot to me.

27.50 for every 1000 euro.

Ouch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Photoshop wrote: »
    That's alot?

Seems like alot to me.

Ouch.

How does it compare to the other merchants you've researched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Photoshop wrote: »
    That's alot?

Seems like alot to me.

Ouch.

a bank will chage you .45% for lodging cash

a credit card processor will charge you 1.5% - 2% + monthly fee + long term contract for credit cards + you have to be vetted.

Paypal will charge you 35c + up to 3.4%

so 2.75% is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

PayPal have a version of this in a few countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Has anyone actually received their device? I have signed up a few months back but received nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Well it would be a great solution if they get the Visa part working.

Interesting to see when you get your device.....two months and no word sounds like huge startup backlog problems.

We shall see.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Has anyone actually received their device? I have signed up a few months back but received nothing.

Got mine about a week after signing up. Haven't used it, because of the visa thing. Was hoping to use it for car boot sales etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I see they have the visa logo at the bottom of their .ie site, and they say they are accecpting visa in some of their blurb......I'm going to drop them an email to confirm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I emailed them, got this reply....

Thank you for contacting SumUp support.

Different card associations (such as Visa and MasterCard) have different rules regarding how transactions can be accepted through mobile devices. Because of Visa Europe’s rules, Visa card acceptance is currently not possible via the SumUp card reader, but can be completed by manually entering the Visa card’s details on your customer’s phone. Paying via a Visa card works as follows:

· When you want to accept a Visa card, simply select “Visa” from the choice of payment methods and enter your customer’s mobile phone number.

· Your customer immediately receives a text message with a unique link to a secure website that opens on the customer's mobile phone browser.

· On this website, your customer enters the Visa card’s details and completes the transaction.

If you have any further questions please reply to this email.

Kind Regards,

Anita
    SumUp Support
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    SumUp - Card payments for everyone

support@sumup.ie
    www.sumup.ie

Follow us on Facebook: facebook.com/sumup.ireland
    Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/SumUp_IE
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    SumUp Ltd. Hospitality House,16/20 South Cumberland Street, Dublin 2, Ireland
    Company ID 505893

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Wouldn't trust this if I see this coming out . No chip and pin that I can see. Does it use SSL or other secure communications. Merchant hands the read to a scammer who does a quick switch and is now recording my details

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Wouldn't trust this if I see this coming out . No chip and pin that I can see. Does it use SSL or other secure communications. Merchant hands the read to a scammer who does a quick switch and is now recording my details

They are very common over in America and Canada. When I was working over there I had an iPhone with a case and a swipe on the back of a case. Very neat unit and noone has any issues with it. I'd have no issues with using one

Advertisement