Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Wear-Tyne Derby - Sunderland V Newcastle - Sunday 21st October 1:30pm - SS1

• 19-10-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

2_0fd781cd2daec9444bfc99ec163d9016.jpg2_1e0472c4af05f390f24ec4c16515ab08.jpg

The nerves are kicking in big time now so I thought I'd wind myself up even more by creating a thread to get the discussion going. :pac:

Obviously this is a huge game for both clubs and more often than not the result of the first derby of the season between Sunderland and Newcastle shapes what sort of season each team will have.

From a Sunderland point of view I think we'll line up like this:
    Mignolet

Gardner O'Shea Cuellar Rose

Johnson Larsson Colback McClean

Sessegnon

Fletcher

If Bardsley is back fit I hope he goes straight in to RB with Gardner dropping into the centre as Tiote and Cabaye will absolutely control that area with ease if Larsson and Colback are in there. Cattermole is a huge loss and it would have been fun to see him and Tiote squaring off again!

I know Newcastle have a few injury concerns (although I'd be surprised if all of them didn't play on the day) so I'll let one of the Newcastle lads post up their expected line up.

Newcastle have a fantastic record in this game and when they do lose (which is very rarely) it tends to be by no more than one goal. I really shouldn't have any optimism considering our form of not turning up on derby day (we've only won 2 derbies at home since 1967), but this is O'Neill's first home derby game and I think he'll have the lads set up well.

I'm going to predict a score draw. Fletcher to give us the lead and Shola (it's always him!) to come on and equalize late on.

PS - A good read here for people who don't get why the north-east derby is such a meaningful game for fans of both clubs. I won't copy and paste as it will clutter up the OP.

http://www.teamtalk.com/columns/8178324/Wear-Tyne-derby-A-game-that-matters

What Is Your Prediction? 25 votes

Sunderland Win
    0%
    Draw
    44%
    super_furryapplehuntergustafoborn2bwildAidricProfessional GrieferpurplepandaAlpishLostBoy101cgpg5MyBrokenKnees 11 votes
    Newcastle Win
    56%
    davyccmirwillbebackdfx-jenno86redarmyNuri Sahin1mcampo1markie29Lucan BohsPaully DLawrence1895ScummyManIncognitoManBetterCallSaul 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Jerseys instead of crests???
    How hipster of you!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Only one predicting a Newcastle win so far (only because i can never predict Sunderland winning!)

To be perfectly honest, Newcastle have been quite brutal so far this season, we seem to play well for 20 minute spells in the second half of games, its not good enough. This game is of huge importance for Newcastle (and Sunderland too for that matter). An away win and I can see Newcastle really kick starting the season. Its no doubt going to be a tight game but I think with the return of Krul, Colocinni and S.Taylor, Newcastle will edge it.

I also think Pardew has a big decision to make regarding the formation. 4-4-2 has not worked for us this season and he always reverts to 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 where we seem to play better, like we did at the tail end of last season. It seems Ba might be off in January regardless of where he plays, so stick him out on the left like last season and lets get some good results before January comes looming!

Can't wait for this game! Toon Army!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Newcastle Win
    Newcastle not wearing black and white tomorrow. It's only something trivial I know, but this game should always be red and white V black and white.
    @NUFCOfficial Newcastle United FC twitter
    Just to clarify, NUFC not able to wear black + white on Sunday because both teams wear black shorts + socks. Would not be permitted by PL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Yeah, because black shorts and socks really make the kits similar...

Idiot rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Would love to see Sunderland smash Newcastle here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Apparently we'll be playing that disgusting lime green jersey! :O

Mind you, Steven Taylor has made MON's pre match team talk a lot easier, with this nonsense:

A5o-wW4CcAAel3l.jpg:large

Newcastle Win
    Doocey wrote: »
    Apparently we'll be playing that disgusting lime green jersey! :O

Mind you, Steven Taylor has made MON's pre match team talk a lot easier, with this nonsense:

A5o-wW4CcAAel3l.jpg:large

He's not the full shilling that boy. Never has been.

That's exactly the type of thing that would bite us on the arse if one of our players said it, but he'll probably score the winner for you lot now. :pac:

He's also contradicted Pardew by saying none of our players would get in the Newcastle team. Funny thing is that centre half position alongside Coloccini where Taylor plays is probably the main position that would be up for grabs! I think Taylor is a good player but I'd have O'Shea and a fit Brown ahead of him any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Yeah, because black shorts and socks really make the kits similar...

Idiot rule.

It really isn't in all fairness. You can see why the FA would object.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Newcastle Win
    Paully D wrote: »
    Taylor is a good player but I'd have O'Shea and a fit Brown ahead of him any day of the week.

No chance. When he's fit he's a far better player than either of them imo. Last season him and Colo were a brilliant partnership and our defence was rock solid before xmass, until he inevitably got injured again.

Bloody idiot for coming out with those quotes before the derby though.

EDIT; I'm referring to right now as well before someone goes on about their United days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Couldn't they wear the black and white shirt with the green (or whatever colour) shorts? I think Liverpool did that against Sunderland a few weeks ago, away shirt with home socks and shorts.

• Advertisement

He's not the full shilling that boy. Never has been.

That's exactly the type of thing that would bite us on the arse if one of our players said it, but he'll probably score the winner for you lot now. :pac:

He's also contradicted Pardew by saying none of our players would get in the Newcastle team. Funny thing is that centre half position alongside Coloccini where Taylor plays is probably the main position that would be up for grabs! I think Taylor is a good player but I'd have O'Shea and a fit Brown ahead of him any day of the week.

Agree with most things there except the bold part.

Taylor miles head of both of them, particularly Brown.
    I'm also convinced O'Shea is well past his peak, and has been extremely average this season so far, for both club and country.

Taylor's a quality CB, and an old type one too. He wears his heart on his sleeve and he can be a little bit too passionate at times as well.
    However, he's a player ever team would like to have (local lad).

His comments are stupid though, without doubt.
    I remember before the Tyne-Wear when Ameobi scored the late penalty - Taylor was talking more nonsense how he would feel sick if Sunderland won. I can take a bitta banter but that's over-doing it a bit IMO.

Should be a good game. I expect it to be even tighter than the one in SJP last season - could go either way.

Would really, really love to be in the away end for it, but some other time :(

Without doubt one of the (if not the) most passionate derbies in the land.

What a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Both teams will lose... somehow.

Had to stick a bit of money on Shola to score anytime. :pac:

That_Guy wrote: »
    Both teams will lose... somehow.

Had to stick a bit of money on Shola to score anytime. :pac:

A staggering 7/2!!!

Newcastle Win
    According to Graeme Anderson of the Sunderland Echo, Steven Taylor's representatives approached Sunderland about a transfer after Newcastle were relegated.

https://twitter.com/sunechograeme
    I was told by a top S'land source, after N'cle's relegation S Taylor's people appoached the club about a move. An offer not taken up.

I wonder how many stamps he's got in that collection? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hope Sunderland win.

According to Graeme Anderson of the Sunderland Echo, Steven Taylor's representatives approached Sunderland about a transfer after Newcastle were relegated.

https://twitter.com/sunechograeme

I wonder how many stamps he's got in that collection? :pac:

What a load of nonsense!

Echo are a shocking publication IMO - Mark Douglas is the best of a bad bunch tbh.

Newcastle Win
    The last time we won (2008) our next game was Stoke away and Newcastle's was West Brom at home. This year it's the same! :eek:

The last time we won (2008) our next game was Stoke away and Newcastle's was West Brom at home. This year it's the same! :eek:

Grasping at straws? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

#NUFC Krul; Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini (c), Santon; Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez; Ba, Shola Ameobi.

#SAFC : Mignolet Rose Gardner Larsson Colback O'Shea Johnson Cuellar McClean Fletcher Sessegnon

Shola and Ba up front. Good call Pardew.

• Advertisement

Newcastle Win
    Ameobi nailed on to score. Larsson and Colback won't get a sniff against Tiote and Cabaye. I have a bad feeling about this one. :(

Off out for the match now anyway, Ha'way The Lads!

Saw odds of 9/1 for Ben Arfa to score first. Decent. Tempted to have a wee punt on that.

I fancy Newcastle to get something here. Sunderland don't usually win these derbys in recent times.

HOWAY THE FUCKIN LADS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Very happy with that line out. 2-0 I think. Have a schnakey score on Ben Afra first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

What a finish! He's so dreamy!

What a ridiculous decision.

Never a red card in a million years. Le Tissier is an exaggerating the fcuk out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

The Red Tiote should have got last game

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Awful decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Definite red by the laws of the game.

Superstar McClean having some game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was a definite red really, cant see any understand an argument against it.

Mushy wrote: »

How? He didn't lunge or anything. It was a lazy leg. It's never a red card. Yellow card at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Newcastle Win
    Mushy wrote: »

agree...high over the top of the ball tackle...Fletcher lucky he wasnt seriously injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I've seen worse tackles going unpunished .

markie29 wrote: »
    agree...high over the top of the ball tackle...Fletcher lucky he wasnt seriously injured.

What rubbish. The way Tiote was going, he was never going to serious injure anyone.

• Advertisement

Newcastle Win
    SantryRed wrote: »
    What rubbish. The way Tiote was going, he was never going to serious injure anyone.

really?? you think you cant get injured by tackles like that? if Fletchers leg was on the ground and not in the air he could have had it broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

SantryRed wrote: »

So if Larsson did it to Ben Arfa, studs up with no effort at ball, you wouldn't say its red? I thought at first he swung for ball, but he didnt.

And you can never say it wouldnt injure somebody like that, can never judge the impact strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

really?? you think you cant get injured by tackles like that? if Fletchers leg was on the ground and not in the air he could have had it broken.

A player can get injured in any tackle. It shouldn't be a deciding factor in a decision. A yellow card for a lazy tackle would have been enough. As I keep saying when these incidents happen, if thats a Red card then we should all just play a non contact sport.

Sure if Fletcher's head was in the way he could have died :rolleyes:

Newcastle Win
    We really are an absolute joke. The footballing equivalent of that guy who is always taking about you behind your back and telling people what he will do to you, but then time and time again when he sees you he goes cowering into a shell and doesn't say a word.

The center of midfield is weak as piss, Johnson and McClean have barely touched the ball and Fletcher is getting zero support up front. All well and good having a decent front four on paper but when you don't have a physical presence in the center of midfield it's pointless. Get Meyler on, Saha up top with Fletcher and we'd surely have a better chance. Even with Tiote doing a Cattermole it's hard to see us getting back into this if we don't change our formation and I'll be amazed if one of our players don't give the referee a perfect opportunity to even up the red card later in the game.

Pathetic, but typical Sunderland stuff so far. All too predictable from us in derbies sadly so I'm not surprised.

• Advertisement

Newcastle Win
    even with 10 men Newcastle look more likely to score....Sunderland very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Gardner's had about 80 shots already

Jesus,

Sunderland are terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Have seen Sunderland a few times this season, they really look like a poor side. I think they will struggle this season, bottom 4-5 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Draw
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Superstar McClean having some game!

I know you are being sarcastic but you can't say he has hidden. Always looking for ball and fighting for everything. That's what I would want from every player in my side.

Does supporting Trap mean demeaning our players?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Draw
    Sunderland need to change their mentality.

They are not going to score if they keep passing back to their keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Can anyone explain that free kick against Maclean on Ben Arfa? :confused:

Newcastle Win
    Anyone wrote: »
    Have seen Sunderland a few times this season, they really look like a poor side. I think they will struggle this season, bottom 4-5 team.

3 wins in around 20 games including last season I think. If we get a few injuries to key players there's a very good chance we'll be relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

How is McClean still on this pitch. He's been dire!

Newcastle Win
    20 minutes too late and the wrong player coming off. Well done Martin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement