Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheffield Wednesday's Chris Kirkland attacked by fan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What difference does it make whether this lad is from Leeds or not
    Didn't even realise the lad wasn't from Leeds. I was referring to the lads on here who were giving the 'Im a Leeds fan, am I a scumbag?' argument? Where is the lad from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Deank wrote: »
    No need to explain thanks, Leeds fans have history of this sort of abuse, chants about Hillsborough,Munich etc

no, id like to know what you meant by point proved when replying to my post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Ah lads, why are ye even responding to deank?
    Ignore him and he'll get bored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sounds like yer man is a right creepy cawley.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

CSF wrote: »
    Didn't even realise the lad wasn't from Leeds. I was referring to the lads on here who were giving the 'Im a Leeds fan, am I a scumbag?' argument? Where is the lad from?

Judging from his Facebook, hes from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeston,_Leeds but living in Cheltenham but its not really relevant.

On a lighter note
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1212730&l=f0a5f75a07&id=190050664377660

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Looks like James Milner. Why would he do such a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

The most troubling thing about this is the reaction of Warnock saying Kirkland went down easy

I'd love to see him stay on his feet after an unprovoked blindsided attack

It was open-fisted but there was real force behind it, not some tame slap

Coupled with the unexpected nature of it, I don't think there's many that would stay on there feet in such a situation

Judging from his Facebook, hes from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeston,_Leeds but living in Cheltenham but its not really relevant.

On a lighter note
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1212730&l=f0a5f75a07&id=190050664377660
    Grand so, he is from Leeds, and it is of course relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I have been going to Leeds for about 10 or 11 years now, as part of a group of fans, and by myself. I have never seen trouble, home or away, and all of the Leeds fans I have ever met have been the friendliest most welcoming bunch of people I have ever met.
    The sweeping generalisation that all Leeds supporters in the UK are like that individual who attacked Kirkland is nonsenses.
    99.9% of Leeds fans are fantastic, and if you havent been to a game at Elland road then I dont think you can possibly make sweeping statements and comments about their fans.

Now, I do not for one second condone the chanting at Dave Jones etc, but in fairness the Wednesday fans really let them selves and football down by singing about Turkey. A very upset supporter who was at the game with her 13 year old son rang into Yorkshire Radio after the match to say how horrible the chanting from the Wednesday fans was, and how that was the flash point, when the atmosphere turned from good banter between two groups of supporters, into a pitch invasion and an assault.

I hope that so-called fan gets arrested and prosecuted.

Nothing was done when the Milwall supporters waved turkey flags at Leeds fans at the New Den, and nothing will be done to Wednesday for making stabbing gestures to the Leeds fans.

I am a Leeds United supporter - not a hooligan. Please do not brand me as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    The most troubling thing about this is the reaction of Warnock saying Kirkland went down easy

I'd love to see him stay on his feet after an unprovoked blindsided attack

It was open-fisted but there was real force behind it, not some tame slap

Coupled with the unexpected nature of it, I don't think there's many that would stay on there feet in such a situation

yeah but in fairness first time I watched it I thought he went down very easy, its not till you see the reply that you see how much force there was in it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

no, id like to know what you meant by point proved when replying to my post
    I've no interest in getting into a pointless argument with you re my earlier post, I was merely making a point that off all of my interactions with football supporters the ones with Leeds fans were the most aggressive and blinkered, Liverpool fans aren't even that bad

I've no interest in getting into a pointless argument with you re my earlier post, I was merely making a point that off all of my interactions with football supporters the ones with Leeds fans were the most aggressive and blinkered, Liverpool fans aren't even that bad

but your reply to me was point proved? you dont say something like that and then say you dont want to get into a pointless argument. you realise im not a leeds fan? if you are going to make a statement like that have the stones to say what you really mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

delad wrote: »
    yeah but in fairness first time I watched it I thought he went down very easy, its not till you see the reply that you see how much force there was in it

Have to say in seeing replay, it looks much worse.

Thought he went down easy, but not so much now. Looks worse no doubt.

Hope that stupid fool never gets to be let near football stadium again. these restrictions in banning hooliganism has to be addressed also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Keith C wrote: »
    Aaron Cawley is his name. all over twitter including links to his facebook page.

Send him to prison, in Sheffield.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Have to say in seeing replay, it looks much worse.

Thought he went down easy, but not so much now. Looks worse no doubt.

Hope that stupid fool never gets to be let near football stadium again. these restrictions in banning hooliganism has to be addressed also.

Warnock should not have said Kirkland went down easy, but also, Jones should not have branded all Leeds fans as animals and say that they should be banned from every away ground. Heat of the moment, from both managers.
    As for banning the hooligan, from what people have been saying he has been banned for life already, so how did he get his hand on a ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why are people giving out about Warnock and what he said? It was one sentence during his interview were he was absolutely seething about the idiot who ran on to the pitch.

I feel really bad for Dave Jones, the Leeds chanting must have been very bad for him to react like he did in the post-match interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

but your reply to me was point proved? you dont say something like that and then say you dont want to get into a pointless argument. you realise im not a leeds fan? if you are going to make a statement like that have the stones to say what you really mean

No stone throwing intended, honestly I thought you were a Leeds fan and never checked to who I replying too, my bad.

SarahBM wrote: »
    so how did he get his hand on a ticket.

very easily I'd say, theres no way of stopping him from getting tickets and going to matches so these lifelong bans are a bit pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Spoke to a player who (also a goalie) who was attacked on a pitch and he had a rather interesting tale.

He said "i wasnt aware of the guy until he was 4 feet in me i was watching the ball and concentrating on that and that alone" Most people who saw this incident felt he should have seen the fan considering the distance he made before he made contact with him.

i dunno tho players are (hopefully :D ) fully focused on the game and nothing but the game they actually wouldnt notice someone unless the game was stopped.

The player above said he was shocked at 1st but then laid into the lad, looking at Kirkland i think he does the same....he is shocked by and 1st reaction is to go down. Think players are so involved in the game they actually dont know WTF is going on when this **** happens.

Cracking stadium ban system they have in UK btw.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

'They are vile animals.'

Dave Jones on Leeds fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm assuming Luis Suarez is somehow to blame for all this.....

mike65 wrote: »

Not funny and even just within this thread not original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

stick to day job

Ares wrote: »
    'They are vile animals.'

Dave Jones on Leeds fans.

The stuff they were chanting about him,id be inclined to agree

Not the Serbs, no?

CSF wrote: »
    So we aren't allowed have a go at clubs for having lots of scumbag fans now? Weird. And I'm not having a go at Leeds specifically here because I don't know much about them.

But you can't use lads from nowhere near Leeds as representative of the Leeds fans.

Hear hear. I attend a lot of Tipperary games and unfortunately in modern society we have absolute losers turning up on the day drunk and spouting bile during a minutes silence. These idiots are nowhere to be seen during the challenges or the league games but turn up in abundance for the actual championship games. As a true Tipperary supporter id hate to be branded with them.
    The guy who ran onto the field tonight is just a yob but Leeds have a core of good supporters like any other club. Just unfortunate this 'creature' has brought them into disrepute

Why don't Irish teams have firms? Looking at that video with all those lads coming on to the pitch after the goal, jumping around and goading the oppositions fans and players, it looks fun. Then your man who hit the keeper got a heroes welcome when he ran back into the crowd.

In all fairness it looks like a bit of craic. I'd say it be a great laugh getting largered up on a saturday afternoon and travelling with the lads to away games, getting up to all sorts of mischief. It would be nice to belong to something, ya know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Why don't Irish teams have firms? Looking at that video with all those lads coming on to the pitch after the goal, jumping around and goading the oppositions fans and players, it looks fun. Then your man who hit the keeper got a heroes welcome when he ran back into the crowd.

In all fairness it looks like a bit of craic. I'd say it be a great laugh getting largered up on a saturday afternoon and travelling with the lads to away games, getting up to all sorts of mischief. It would be nice to belong to something, ya know?

You can do that without being a scumbag about it.

Oh my lord. How little you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Im not sure if the appropriate response to this is allowable within the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The game should have been abandoned. Disgraceful scenes.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Im not sure if the appropriate response to this is allowable within the charter.

pm me then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Maybe if you're a brain dead idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Somehow I expect Suarez will get the blame for this.

Don't get this when its churned out.

When has Suarez been blamed for something he had nothing to do with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

So you've met all 50 irish leeds fans or did you have a word with a UK leeds fan?
    What were your discussions with Leeds fans about? Keanes tackle on Haangland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That kind of chanting is vile and those chanting it are animals. Its not just Leeds either, United are as bad about Wenger, but these issues are always ignored. Fair play to Jones for making a huge point of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

pm me then

I dont need to but thanks for the PM.

Irish teams do have firms. Do a google search, you can find all the info you want on there.

The type of thing you are trying to advocate is just foolish. There is no place in football for it.

And I hope that chap who attacked kirkland gets made an example of.

That kind of chanting is vile and those chanting it are animals. Its not just Leeds either, United are as bad about Wenger, but these issues are always ignored. Fair play to Jones for making a huge point of it.

Wow, using this to get a dig in at United. Unreal how people find these opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm not using anything to have a dig at United, I'm saying chants that accuse people of being paedophiles, like those Leeds were aiming at Jones are sick and anyone chanting should be banned for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

CLUBS WITH MOST ARRESTS
    •Manchester United - 276
    •Leeds - 149
    •Sunderland - 126
    •Newcastle - 123
    •Manchester City - 108

Every club has its troublemakers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

This picture of him is hilarious

522566_3430992889481_1408146727_n.jpg

/\/\/\ Full kit wanker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Melion wrote: »
    This picture of him is hilarious

522566_3430992889481_1408146727_n.jpg
    Full kit wanker!!

• Advertisement

@Felexicon, SNAP!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Why don't Irish teams have firms?

The possible candidates are too busy playing Donkey Kong to get organised into firms.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5ef_1332099219

Speaking of Irish clubs tho, I haven't been to too many cross channel games so I can't comment on what various clubs support is like. But I have seen a fair few English teams over here when they play pre-season friendlies. The travelling crowds were usually grand and well behaved but I do remember one game (Shels v Leeds, prob mid 90s) where I did get a bad vibe off their crowd for whatever reason.

But it was one guy in particular at the game that I remember. He had Leeds jersey and Yorkshire accent and prior to kick-off was walking around the stands at Tolka Park and up to locals saying stuff "Do you 'ave Paki's in this country? I ****in' 'ate Paki's!". He didn't stop there tho. He went up to stewards AND EVEN GARDAI and kept up this line of enquiry until kick off. Fortunately everyone I saw him ask just ignored him or laughed him off. He wasn't high or drunk or anything I think this was just normal behaviour for him. I was fairly young at the time and as I describe it I guess it probably doesn’t sound too bad to some people reading now , but it made quite an impression on me at the time. I was thinking "man I hope this guy is not typical of Leeds United supporters?"

That's my memory anyway. I'm not ManU or SheffWed or whatever their rival club is so I'm not trying to pointscore. Just something that came to me at the mention of Leeds possibly not having the most civil supporters in the world (and I don't know if that's the case or not).

Anyway, I hope the guy who hit Kirkland gets banned .... again.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Wow, using this to get a dig in at United. Unreal how people find these opportunities.

He's not wrong. I know a United lad who regularly attends away matches and some of the stuff he writes on facebook are mindblowingly retarded. (Hillsborough, Heysel, Wenger is a paedophile, Sol Campbell)

I can only imagine that in a group of like minded individuals behind a goal in some part of England its worse.

Only anecdotal evidence I know but I've never met a Pool/Arsenal/Chelsea/Everton/City/Maidstone fan write/talk like I've heard some United fans speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Des wrote: »
    I hate this, every time a fan acts like this, no matter what club, this line is trotted out to distance the club from this type of person.

They ARE fans.

I don't think you were meant to take what he said as literal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Leeds fans in the UK = pure scum, the chants the throw out at games is nothing short of vile. They have a history of having w@nker fans who have no respect for any club they play. May the rot in the realms of the conference leagues for all eternity, their supporters deserve no place in the higher football leagues

Any screening left on soccer boards anymore ??? One can only laugh at the thought process of someone like this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement