Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheffield Wednesday's Chris Kirkland attacked by fan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anyone agree with Dave Jones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

RasTa wrote: »
    Anyone agree with Dave Jones?

Yes and No, he is obviously wound up but a bit of perspective is needed.

Are all Leeds fans vile ? No, silly comment, all clubs have their nasty elements, it is just the way it is.

Do Leeds have a bad rep ? Yes and probably deservedly so in some regards, some fans have really let themselves down over the years.

Should Warnock of said what he said ? No, but it is a soundbite of otherwise pretty condemning comments on the incident.

Oh the media and bloggers are loving this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm assuming Luis Suarez is somehow to blame for all this.....

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Yawn.

Anyway, I'm not going to tar all Leeds fans with one brush just because some clown ran on to the pitch. He'll get his punishment, probably prison, and it'll be well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm assuming Luis Suarez is somehow to blame for all this.....

Cringeworthy...even more so that someone already beat you to the punch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I wish Neil Warnock would retire, every time I see him or hear his name he seems to be whinging about something.

Doesn't matter whether or not Kirkland went down easily or not, a fan of his club assaulted an opposition player and he should apologise for that and shut the hell up.

In my opinion Kirkland didn't go down any easier than 98% of players would have...Roy Keane or Duncan Ferguson may have reacted somewhat differently :pac: But of course this individual would never have the stones to go near any players of that ilk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have just seen the clip this morning and although its awful and all that, the only thing I could think of is how conditioned footballers are now to diving or falling over.

It amounted to a shove in the face, and not even a proper one at that, yet he fell like a sack of spuds. My 2 toddlers shove each other like that all the time!;)

What is wrong with these guys? Is it only me, but if I was Kirkland I would have grabbed that idiot by the throat and started to pound on his ugly mug. You have the right to defend yourself, and its a natural instinct (although pro footballers natural instinct seems to be to fall over at the slightest touch).

If a guy had done that to Kirkland on a weekend city centre is he was having a night out, would be fall the same way (like a girl) or actually defend himself?

I am not trying to condone the fans behaviour, but be a man ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have just seen the clip this morning and although its awful and all that, the only thing I could think of is how conditioned footballers are now to diving or falling over.

It amounted to a shove in the face, and not even a proper one at that, yet he fell like a sack of spuds. My 2 toddlers shove each other like that all the time!;)

What is wrong with these guys? Is it only me, but if I was Kirkland I would have grabbed that idiot by the throat and started to pound on his ugly mug. You have the right to defend yourself, and its a natural instinct (although pro footballers natural instinct seems to be to fall over at the slightest touch).

If a guy had done that to Kirkland on a weekend city centre is he was having a night out, would be fall the same way (like a girl) or actually defend himself?

IF Kirkland did hit him back you think he would have gotten away with it?? no chance...also i think it was more of the surprise factor rather ran the ferocity of the hit is the reason Kirkland fell down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think people are missing the point with Dave Jones' outburst. The Kirkland thing was just the icing on the cake, the fact that he had to sit there listening to a very sizeable section of the Leeds supporters sing about how he's a paedophile is in my mind, much more serious than a goalkeeper being shoved. Much like those aimed at Arsene Wenger, these chants are never addressed and no-one is ever punished for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Your points have been noted and duly ignored for being complete crap.

I think its embarassing that a few of our North Stand chavs probably started this with the Galatasaray chants, but the reactions of Leeds fans to ripping apart the Leppings lane end and one in particular performing a full force two handed push in the face is not part of football.

Leeds dont like us, we dont like them, but their constant chants about Munich (why????) and now proclaiming their appreciation of suspected paedo Jimmy Savile and the chants towards an innocent man Dave Jones is despicable.

These fans were I assume mostly season ticket holders, happily the SY police will have plenty of footage of the carnage and im sure the 'animals' will get captured.

Its a shame that the minority spoil it for the good name of the majority so Leeds fans will all get tarred with the same brush, but frankly most South Yorkshire folk are fine with that. Warnock and Bates dont really help their situation.

I think theyll have the book thrown at them this time, you can see the effect of social media as this guy was found within minutes and now the football world wants justice for everything.

Hope this doesnt affect any investment plans ;)

UTO WTID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'm a Leeds United supporter for over 40 years and I was sickened by what I saw last night. Firstly, the gobshlte IS obviously a Leeds fan himself. Trying to distance him from our club is ridiculous. Every club has them and, in my opinion, he does not reflect the typical Leeds fan. Having said that, the worst part of it all was seeing a couple of other Leeds supporters give him a pat on the back when he went back in to the stand.

The man should go to jail for what is the crime of assault. If I was Kirkland, I would probably have gone down like he did. He was suddenly attacked with little notice that it was coming. I'm sure shock entered his system. I can't imagine what it is like for a goalkeeper to stand between the sticks with ANY band of passionate away supporters just behind you. I'd say you would feel very vulnerable.

As for Jones, he should realise that chanting comes with the job and either accept it or bugger off. TV deadens the precise words of chanting but I can imagine what they were about. However, what was clear to me was the repetition of 'We all hate Leeds scum' for the whole match by Wednesday supporters. Ah sure that's grand :rolleyes:

I just hope last night's incident doesn't put off our potential buyers. Now that would be a genuine reason to lynch the fool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

oldyouth wrote: »
    However, what was clear to me was the repetition of 'We all hate Leeds scum' for the whole match by Wednesday supporters. Ah sure that's grand :rolleyes:

Compared to singing about how a man is 'a paedophile', especially one who was put through hell, lost his job and saw his father die during the court case which was found later to be based on totally fabricated evidence, then yes, it is grand.

Jones is right, any Leeds fan joining in those chants is a vile animal and should have no place inside a football stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Your points have been noted and duly ignored for being complete crap.

What, its crap to say that a big lump of a guy should defend himself against a thug?

I think if Kirkland had of lamped that guy he would have been fully supported by 99.9% of the public and football supporters around the country. The FA could not have had the support to ban him or punish him.

post-4683-0-70859900-1350691796_thumb.jpg

post-4683-0-47733400-1350691801_thumb.jpg

post-4683-0-32989300-1350692379_thumb.jpg

post-4683-0-56920700-1350692392_thumb.jpg

What, its crap to say that a big lump of a guy should defend himself against a thug?

I think if Kirkland had of lamped that guy he would have been fully supported by 99.9% of the public and football supporters around the country. The FA could not have had the support to ban him or punish him.

Yes, its crap.

His occupation is Goalkeeper and not Boxer/Bouncer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What happened to the kid? Did he fall? What has it to do with the keeper getting assaulted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Compared to singing about how a man is 'a paedophile', especially one who was put through hell, lost his job and saw his father die during the court case which was found later to be based on totally fabricated evidence, then yes, it is grand.

Jones is right, any Leeds fan joining in those chants is a vile animal and should have no place inside a football stadium.

Like I said, TV deadens the sound so I couldn't here what exactly was being said. Of course that sort of behaviour is unacceptable but I'm sure he has heard it from many away supporters over the last 10 years, not just Leeds ones and not for the first time last night.

I think the incident involving Jones occurred around the same time as 2 of our fans were murdered in Turkey, yet we have to be subjected to terrible chants about that in a lot of places we go. I accept that Leeds fans probably give more than they have to take but let's not pretend this issue was removed from the game before last night

As for Jimmy Saville chanting, I couldn't hear that either, but if it was to support that vile man, then that too is unacceptable behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Des wrote: »
    What happened to the kid? Did he fall? What has it to do with the keeper getting assaulted?

The scumbags in the tier above pushed the sign down onto him and those around him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Ok people, the thread will stay open, but any more trouble or nonsense or whatever will see it closed.

And before anyone goes on any more sweeping generalisations about British Leeds Fans, it'd do you well to remember that one of them mods this forum.
    :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

UTO WTID

What is this UTO you see Wednesday fans sign posts and comments with on the internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How about comparing them to the Turkey chants by Wednesday fans? Which were infinitely worse. And people are making it out as if the chants towards Jones were completely shocking and out of place. Heard any of the RVP chants? Munich chants? Hillsborough chants? Wednesday fans were just as guilty as Leeds fans in the chanting, who in turn are no worse than fans at pretty much every ground in England. Its a English football issue not a Leeds issue as Jones was trying ever so hard to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Warnock's just said on SSN that he was out of order to say Kirkland went down easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Ares wrote: »
    He's not wrong. I know a United lad who regularly attends away matches and some of the stuff he writes on facebook are mindblowingly retarded. (Hillsborough, Heysel, Wenger is a paedophile, Sol Campbell)

I can only imagine that in a group of like minded individuals behind a goal in some part of England its worse.

Only anecdotal evidence I know but I've never met a Pool/Arsenal/Chelsea/Everton/City/Maidstone fan write/talk like I've heard some United fans speak.

The point is singling out United fans is moronic. Every club has them including his own but it was a nice chance to have a go at United. Usual ****e we get on here and seems to have gone over your head

SWFC fan of 25 years +. Sickened by the whole thing TBH, chants at Jones, galatasaray chants and of course the kirkland incident.

Its not good enough to say if Jones doesn't like it, he should just leave the job. No one should have to put up with that.

And Colin w****r should STFU to be honest, all he ever does is rub people up the wrong way

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Some of the comments in this thread are hilarious.

Leeds fans and MANY other fans sing Dave Jones songs all the time.
    Leeds fans have always sung about Jimmy Saville.
    Wednesday fans were singing about Istanbul.

Chants like these are part of football, they're part of the game, they always have been and always will be. I do think Istanbul chants are worse than chants about Dave Jones but I'm biased. Glorifying tragic deaths isn't acceptable. This is what football is, there are chants like these at every ground around the world every day. It's part of what makes the game what it is.

There is a hooligan element in every club, they all have a firm (even Crewe Alexandra), there are fights or trouble of some sort at more or less every game thats why the police presence is so high. Of course the teams with a bigger fanbase are going to have more arrests. For some, the reason they go to games is for this stuff and it isn't so much about the football as the fights. That is a fact. Whether Cawley is one of them is another thing but there are plenty whose main reason for attending games is for the trouble.

I'm not condoning running on the pitch and smashing the keeper in the face but you'd swear the fans of other clubs were all angels.

Seats get torn up at games a lot, toilets destroyed etc the shock and horror the odd time it hits the media is hilarious.

Also any Owls remember this.... http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Clint-Hill-accuses-Sheffield-Wednesday-fans-of-attacking-him-after-Crystal-Palace-relegated-the-Owls-to-League-One-article413647.html#.UIJVAwbS5NU.twitter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Some of the comments in this thread are hilarious.

Leeds fans and MANY other fans sing Dave Jones songs all the time.
    Leeds fans have always sung about Jimmy Saville.
    Wednesday fans were singing about Istanbul.

Chants like these are part of football, they're part of the game, they always have been and always will be. I do think Istanbul chants are worse than chants about Dave Jones but I'm biased. Glorifying tragic deaths isn't acceptable. This is what football is, there are chants like these at every ground around the world every day. It's part of what makes the game what it is.

There is a hooligan element in every club, they all have a firm (even Crewe Alexandra), there are fights or trouble of some sort at more or less every game thats why the police presence is so high. Of course the teams with a bigger fanbase are going to have more arrests. For some, the reason they go to games is for this stuff and it isn't so much about the football as the fights. That is a fact. Whether Cawley is one of them is another thing but there are plenty whose main reason for attending games is for the trouble.

I'm not condoning running on the pitch and smashing the keeper in the face but you'd swear the fans of other clubs were all angels.

Seats get torn up at games a lot, toilets destroyed etc the shock and horror the odd time it hits the media is hilarious.

Also any Owls remember this.... http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Clint-Hill-accuses-Sheffield-Wednesday-fans-of-attacking-him-after-Crystal-Palace-relegated-the-Owls-to-League-One-article413647.html#.UIJVAwbS5NU.twitter

So the crux of your post is that because it has happened in the past and still happens in other countries, people should just get on with it?

Sorry but for me that's not good enough.

There needs to be a huge culture change across the board at football stadiums. A healthy atmosphere is imperative, but the day people accept vile chants and assault on players as "part of the game" things have really gone to pot.

G.K. wrote: »
    Ok people, the thread will stay open, but any more trouble or nonsense or whatever will see it closed.

And before anyone goes on any more sweeping generalisations about British Leeds Fans, it'd do you well to remember that one of them mods this forum.
    :rolleyes:

I don't think it matters whether a mod supports a team being criticised, it shouldn't anyway.

However, the generalisations are ridiculous from some here regarding this case.

I wonder why chanting about someone being a pedo gets a free pass at grounds. If you chant racist stuff you're lobbed out

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I don't think it matters whether a mod supports a team being criticised, it shouldn't anyway.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it shouldn't matter.

But when people make sweeping generalisations abut British Leeds fans they are describing me, which I'm not going to look favourably on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

AdamD wrote: »
    Warnock's just said on SSN that he was out of order to say Kirkland went down easy
    Good to hear that, saw it on TV and there was no way Kirkland was making a meal of it, it was more than just a also, and he was taken by suprise by the idiot too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

G.K. wrote: »
    Oh, don't get me wrong, it shouldn't matter.

But when people make sweeping generalisations abut British Leeds fans they are describing me, which I'm not going to look favourably on.

Do you go to games?

• Advertisement

Sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

AdamD wrote: »

Proper order i couldnt believe it when i heard his comment after the game.Warnock needs to learn how to keep his mouth shut at times!

How is that relevant to last night? Are we keeping count here?

For any sane fan, this isn't about 'Wednesday vs the world', its about normal fans vs lunatic fans, regardless of their club

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How is that relevant to last night? Are we keeping count here?

For any sane fan, this isn't about 'Wednesday vs the world', its about normal fans vs lunatic fans, regardless of their club

If you read the rest of my post you will see it backs up the point I made about all clubs having elements of this sort and that it happens at other games too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Shocked at how few stewards/Police were at the away end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

SantryRed wrote: »
    Do you go to games?

that old chestnut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/21/man-arrested-suspected-assault-chris-kirkland
    A 21-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of assault after the Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland was hit by a fan during a Championship game.

The incident was one of a number of ugly scenes at Hillsborough during the 1-1 draw with Leeds which was televised on Friday night.

Gloucestershire police said the man was arrested in Cheltenham shortly before 1pm.

A spokesman said: "The investigation is being led by South Yorkshire police. The man currently remains in police custody."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

event wrote: »
    that old chestnut

What?

It's a perfectly valid point. It's about British Leeds fans who go to games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

SantryRed wrote: »

What?

It's a perfectly valid point. It's about British Leeds fans who go to games.

Which has nothing to do with this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I cant understand why it took the police til today to arrest that man.

I would like to make a point that Sky didnt exactly help by using their usual over-dramatic language to describe the events on Friday night. I felt the presenter on Sky Sports was saying everything possible to stir the situation even more, and fair play to Peter Beagery for mentioning the fact that the Wednesday fans were just as bad for singing about Istanbul.
    When it is a Friday night KO, the police should be prepared for the fact that people would have been drinking all evening.

I was not impressed with how Michael Mc Mullin on Today FM was saying that Leeds fans (plural) behaved ridiculously and then he said that the Leeds fans should have tossed the guy who assaulted Kirkland back out onto the pitch. In my opinion, its security's responsibility to catch the guy. If the other fans had done that then they are no better than vigilantes.

Bottom line, that guy should neve have gotten into the stadium in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

SarahBM wrote: »
    ing.

I was not impressed with how Michael Mc Mullin on Today FM was saying that Leeds fans (plural) behaved ridiculously and then he said that the Leeds fans should have tossed the guy who assaulted Kirkland back out onto the pitch. In my opinion, its security's responsibility to catch the guy. If the other fans had done that then they are no better than vigilantes.

Bottom line, that guy should neve have gotten into the stadium in the first place.

Hmmmmmm. Sounds like playground thinking on your part.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Personally, I'd see this like the West Ham and Millwall game at Upton Park a couple of years ago.

Banned or not, huge police presence, known troublesome game or not, some 'fans' will get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Kirkland would have been sent off if he had done that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Aaron Cawley jailed for four months after pleading guilty to attacking Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Already?

Imagine if that happened in Ireland, it wouldn't even be in court in four months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

markie29 wrote: »
    Aaron Cawley jailed for four months after pleading guilty to attacking Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland
    Hopefully a few Wednesday fans in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

On the day of the game he had a few cans of Stella, 750ml of vodka and 7 to 10 pints of cider.

Four months isn't long enough for a repeat offender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Des wrote: »
    Already?

Imagine if that happened in Ireland, it wouldn't even be in court in four months

I'm guessing he pleaded guility immediately to whatever charges were put against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    On the day of the game he had a few cans of Stella, 750ml of vodka and 7 to 10 pints of cider.

Four months isn't long enough for a repeat offender.

How was he even able to walk!!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

baldshin wrote: »
    How was he even able to walk!!?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/oct/22/fan-charged-assault-sheffied-wednesday

Read the last sentence, judge knew that was bull****.

Advertisement