Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House of Gold & Bones pt 1

Options
  • 19-10-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭

Anyone one else gotten the new Stone Sour album? What do you think?

I'd already heard Taciturn live at Download during Corey's acoustic set, but the album version is beautiful. Typical crescendo epicness of Stone Sour ballads, Corey pouring his heart and soul into it.

I had access to the first two tracks, Sovereign & Absolute Zero from the fan club. Fast, powerful, heavy and Absolute Zero is well catchy. I like the prog rock character theme they're going for. Just listening to the other tracks now, so excite!! Can't wait to see them over in Bournemouth in December. :D

Finished. Love this album! RU486 is bloody intense. Tired is just gorgeous. A Rumour of Skin is very typical SS sound, cheesy, class drumming, so is My Name is Allen. Every song is good, no tracks that I would skip past. Not super memorable but a very emotional experience as an album- mature, melodic songs. Takes you on a nice musical journey. Climactic conclusion.

Very impressed. I'll shut up now... massive fan. :o

Very kind 5 star review here and not so kind here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Havent gotten it yet I have only heard one song but I liked it, to be honest after the last album I wasnt expecting much but Im looking forward to getting a listen now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is a hell of a good album, and one that is a grower. Picked it up on Friday before heading back home to Liverpool along with the Halo 4 soundtrack and the last album by the King Blues.

I think it is easily the best Stone Sour album and whilst there are some very obvious influences that can be heard throughout the album it just sounds so big and polished that you find yourself being swept along.

Don't think it works well in terms of there being songs that are classic stand alone tracks, but as an album to listen to in a sitting it is an experience and I really was not expecting the Pink Floyd guitar moments ( to be as good as they were) despite it being said many times by the band that PF were a big influence on this album.

Might be the best album I have listened to this year in terms of the entire package working as a concept.

The only thing I am a little picky about is the drum sound on a couple of the songs, but even that gripe got washed away (often during the same song) the moment a cool bit of guitar play or singing kicked in.

Was always a more casual listener to Stone Sour rather than a die hard fan, but this album already has me on tenderhooks for the follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Liking the sounds of the reviews of this. Straight over to iTunes for me.

Wasn't a massive fan of the last album so really looking forward to a listen of this now.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Liking the sounds of the reviews of this. Straight over to iTunes for me.

Wasn't a massive fan of the last album so really looking forward to a listen of this now.

Every track from the new album is up on youtube so you can get a listen there in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Full stream of the album on AOL here:

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Wasn't expecting much from Stone Sour but house of gold and bones is excellent, there are hints of dirt era AIC in there. great album

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Big fan of stone sour, and this album is another excellent entry. Would love if they came to Ireland! :(

zombiepaw wrote: »
    Wasn't expecting much from Stone Sour but house of gold and bones is excellent, there are hints of dirt era AIC in there. great album

Think that is what they were going for as Corey said in an interview some months back that the album was going to be influenced by Dirt and PF's The Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Kess73 wrote: »
    Think that is what they were going for as Corey said in an interview some months back that the album was going to be influenced by Dirt and PF's The Wall.

In that case they hit the nail on the head, some of the tunes could fit nicely on dirt or facelift. HOG&B is so good that I think it's time for me to revisit my opinion on the stone sour back catalogue

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭stupidfishy

With regards to people saying they didn't like Audio Secrecy, I felt the same when I first listened too - thought it was a typical 'wtf were they thinking' kind of album but it grew on me!

Had a listen back to it last night & it's still sounding great. I suppose it depends on whether or not you think of SS as a metal band, I consider them to be more of a pure no bullsh!t hard rock band.

Picked up HoGaB today, took me away with it straight away. So good!

• Advertisement

It just sounds better and better with repeat listens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

RU486 is a class song

It is a pain in the butt to have to wait until next year for part 2 given that both albums were recorded at the same time..

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

Picked it up yesterday and havent stopped listening, gets better with every listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I can't get into this album at all. The 'concept album' part is totally strained to the point where it isn't really is it?

There seems to be a lack of any real emotion or passion in Corey or anyone else really. The drumming is technically good but devoid of any real drive or interest. The guitar work is quite monotonous. The orchestra is post produced into near oblivion.

I don't know exactly what it is about this record but it completely bores me. Stuff like Taciturn is about as copy and paste into a template as I've ever heard. Gone is the raw feeling, and genuine pain of Zzyzx Rd. and other numbers. This album could have been made by any generic pop-rock band and I would have passed it by. I hoped for something more.

The comparisons to The Wall and Dirt are astounding to me. It is not in the league of those albums. They were raw, emotional albums reflecting real struggle and strife in the bands involved lives. They turned a mirror inwards and showed us all their pain, lonliness, anguish, self afflicted suffering and everything else warts and all.

Usually, even if I don't personally like something like this, I can see why people would like it. This to me is the kind of thing I have hated seeing happen rock and metal. Too much post production, drying up of ideas, singers who have lost the spark and passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I am enjoying the album. Still a few songs I'd give a skip to but I like more on it than I dislike.

Can't wait to see them at Rock Im Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Bit slow off the mark getting HOGAB Part 2. Half way through my first listen, not liking it. Disappointed in fact. I was so excited too :( Stalemate is kinda cheesey and catchy but predictable.

What do you lot think of it?

Part two has it's moments but has not grabbed me in the manner that part one did upon my first listen of it.

Probably does not help that I went on a little spending spree cd wise on the day it came out and ended up with a number of different albums that I was trying to give some listening time to.

It all seems like something a 13 year old would put together the put through Pro Tools about 500 times. I just don't get it still. It's a real pity. Comparing to Dirt and The Wall is increasingly ridiculous.

It all seems like something a 13 year old would put together the put through Pro Tools about 500 times. I just don't get it still. It's a real pity. Comparing to Dirt and The Wall is increasingly ridiculous.

Influenced by those albums rather than being on the same level. On part 1 in particular it is easy to hear the AIC and PF influences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

House Of Gold & Bones Parts I & II are amazingly awesome, though it's kind of hard picking a favourite

Rick Florino of Artistdirect stated "Ultimately, this is a milestone for Stone Sour and for modern rock music. It's on par with Alice In Chains' Dirt, Metallica's Master of Puppets, Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf, Soundgarden's Superunknown, and any other game-changing albums you can think of," and rewarded the album 5 out of 5.

On a par. That's where I had an issue. That's only one guy though.

I can't describe my issue entirely with it, but it's so pretentious yet teenage angsty. It's not like other Stone Sour stuff at all, which in one way shows change and experimentation but what came out is a pro tooled generic rock album veiled in some vague theme.

Advertisement