Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best potatoes for home made fried chips

Options
  • 19-10-2012 10:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24

can anyone tell me their preferred genre of potato

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

maris pipers traditionally for chips as they are floury and have a soft texture
    if you really want old school chips (+a heart attack) fry them in dripping:-p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    maris pipers traditionally for chips as they are floury and have a soft texture
    if you really want old school chips (+a heart attack) fry them in dripping:-p

+1 for the Maris Pipers-really nice spuds for chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Roosters are the most common Irish potato as far as i know and they are very well suited to frying, Maris pipers or King Edwards are what most English chip shops use

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Roosters are the most common Irish potato as far as i know and they are very well suited to frying, Maris pipers or King Edwards are what most English chip shops use

Hate Roosters as chips or even boiled. Not nice at all.

Hate Roosters as chips or even boiled. Not nice at all.

Gonna have to bow to you, your name would suggest that you know a bit about fried potatoes:P

I prefer Walkers by the way:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Everyone recommends Maris Pipers for chips but any time Ive tried them I've found them very watery - not good at all. I always use Golden Wonders or Roosters if GWs aren't in season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

roosters make good chips, the fresher they are the better they turn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Maris piper, but blanch blanch blanch. It is very hard to do at home, but you need to do at least 2 cooking sessions. Lower heat to cook the potato through, but it gets no colour. Drain and cool. Heat the oil up higher, and in they go to brown.

You can do the blanch with boiling water or steaming as well. Tricky to get them so they don't fall to bits in the transfer, and they need to be bone dry so you don't spray the place as water hitting hot oil is a big no-no!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

pwurple wrote: »
    Maris piper, but blanch blanch blanch. It is very hard to do at home, but you need to do at least 2 cooking sessions. Lower heat to cook the potato through, but it gets no colour. Drain and cool. Heat the oil up higher, and in they go to brown.

You can do the blanch with boiling water or steaming as well. Tricky to get them so they don't fall to bits in the transfer, and they need to be bone dry so you don't spray the place as water hitting hot oil is a big no-no!

Twice frying is the business alright. I don't blanch first though, just deep fry them raw for a while till they are just a bit non white, and soft, if you get me! Drain and reserve. Then into the hot fat when you are ready to eat. Yum.

You can Also freeze the chipped spuds after the first (no colour) frying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Kerr's Pinks in this house, Maris Piper's have been tried but haven't matched the Pink's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭cml387

never had much success with Maris pipers.

I go along with Kerr's Pinks or Golden Wonders (but GW's can have a lot of blackening inside I've noticed).

Liamalone wrote: »
    Kerr's Pinks in this house, Maris Piper's have been tried but haven't matched the Pink's :)

Yep pinks are good. When you can get them.

it seems all that is available at first glance is roosters and white generic spuds.

Every pack of spuds I look at say they are good for everything!

You would think that in this country the food producers would educate us about the different varieties properly.

Seems the Rooster gang have it sown up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Yep pinks are good. When you can get them.

Pink's available around here nearly all year :)

Liamalone wrote: »
    Pink's available around here nearly all year :)

Well roosters are everywhere here!

Pinks bring me back. The Ma would send us to the shop for a bag o pinks, and nothing else!

You could see the pink hue in the "eyes"

Roosters seem to have a good portion of the market sewn up alright, I would imagine this is quite a recent development though, when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s I seem to remember golden wonders, Kerrs Pinks and of course the "new" potatoes("like balls of flour" seemed to be the ultimate compliment) were the common varieties.
    Nowadays I always seem to buy roosters because there seems to be less waste (black) and they really are a solid all rounder, excellent for chips also to get back on topic. I'm not that bothered with blanching either but of course twice cooked is essential for the best chips. Either way we have an actifry now so I haven't made proper chips in over a year, actifry chips are not bad at all but never outstanding.
    Had chips from Rick Steins chipper in Padstow in the summer and they were amazing.

Advertisement