Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eerie Photo - Dunmore Caves, Kilkenny

Options
  • 19-10-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Approximately a year ago I visited Dunmore Caves, Kilkenny. I took some photos on the way out and have attached two for comparison purposes.

If you flick from one to the other it is apparent that a silhouette of a figure appears in the first one but is not in the subsequent photo. I found this very unsettling as I was not aware of this at the time. I was one of the last of the tour group coming out of the cave and the tour guide was talking to a small group at the mouth of the cave just behind where the figure appears.

You can see how little time has elapsed by looking at the person walking ahead of me when I took the photo, and those ascending the steps in the backgroud, it was mere seconds.....

According to literature, the cave is the site of a viking massacre (see link below) which creeped me out even more when I saw the figure.

I would appreciate anyone shedding any light on my photos as I cannot comprehend.........

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/learning-zone/primary-students/looking-at-places/kilkenny/aspects-of-county-kilkenn/dunmore-cave/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Looks a bit like the Penguin from Batman :o

In the pic with the figure it looks like the guy on the left of the group of people at the top of the steps is looking up at 'it'. Could it be that one of this group stood up there for a short time for a picture and somehow their silhouette got distorted due to them moving or something just when you took your picture

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Spangles

Well there are supposedly lots of bat skeletons in there so the "Penguin" isn't alone in there !

Any suggestions are welcome but I think the people standing behind it are comparatively much smaller in stature - the figure seems an odd shape with unusual arms or is holding something in each hand ??? Nothing else appears distorted in the picture..... Maybe my imagination is running away with me ...????

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Very strange an creepy alright. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Spangles wrote: »
    I think the people standing behind it are comparatively much smaller in stature - the figure seems too big to be a person in the group.
    That'd be perspective. Or to quote father Ted, 'this one is small, that one is far away'...

It's a trick of depth perception. It's difficult to gauge the distance of a silhouette, so your brain has placed it contextually at the same distance as the other people in the shot.

maringo wrote: »
    Very strange an creepy alright. :eek:
    Neither strange nor creepy at all. Unless you're the poor camera trying to meter the extreme disparity in light levels from inside and outside the cave.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It looks like a photoshop to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Spangles

It most definitely isn't photoshopped- I took the photos myself and haven't altered them in any way.

lockie1983 wrote: »
    It looks like a photoshop to be honest!
    Doesn't look like any sort of shop, let alone a PhotoShop. Looks like a trick of perspective. I gather from your comment that you're entirely unfamiliar with ps, beyond its recent and unfortunate evolution into an inaccurate verb?

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Id say its a bat in flight. Just mis-shaped as its moving while the photo is being taken.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wobbles wrote: »
    Id say its a bat in flight. Just mis-shaped as its moving while the photo is being taken.

thats one very big bat then :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

thats one very big bat then :pac:

Maybe it's batman?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i believe it could be something like a bat (perspective is what makes it look bigger), or it could be someone on top of one of the rocks in one frame and then not there in the next frame. I am confused about the length of time between both photos ... if you look at the steps in the background, people there seem to have moved quite a bit from one photo to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

it looks like freddie kruger. LOL -

but on the other hand, I would be more interested in the figure in white stuck to the top left hand side of the cave - how come you missed that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Probably just poor lighting distorted the image.
    You can tell by the pixels and if you've seen a few shops before...

Advertisement