Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health and Safety issues Cabinteely Park

Options
  • 19-10-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Cabinteely Park, Dun Laoghaire CoCo. is a well maintained public Pk but has several worrying health and safety problems which run counter to their bye laws.Including unleashed dogs defecating on the pitches used by our boys for matches and training with the potential for picking up canine diseases.All day but especially morning cyclists going down the extremely steep hill endangering schoolgoing children, parents and walkers(We even have now at wk ends a racing cyclist in full gear lapping the tarmacadam paths)To confront the dogs owners or cyclists is to be met with a barrage of obscenities.Tell the council.? Been done. Apathy,dont want to know.No manpower.money, and sure we relax the rules.When some young footballer picks up a disease or some walker or runner is seriously injured or killed by a cyclist maybe they then might take action.To compound it some of the cyclists are their own employees.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

(Mod note)
    Not really the best place for this, I'm moving it to the South County Dublin forum (PM me if there's a problem)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

What about health & safety for people walking by the pitches? The precious boys playing football may kick a ball and hit us in the face. Who can I complain to about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

benwavner wrote: »
    What about health & safety for people walking by the pitches? The precious boys playing football may kick a ball and hit us in the face. Who can I complain to about this?

Well if it is a football pitch then that is a risk one takes by walking next to it you silly person!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That's a ridiculous comment. A pitch is for playing sports on. No decent person should allow a dog on it. There's plenty of other places for the dog to be excerised.

Well if it is a football pitch then that is a risk one takes by walking next to it you silly person!

Exactly, and dogs crap on grassy areas....it's all a risk. Some dog owners are lazy fookers. The council dont give a fiddlers either.
    ted1 wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous comment. A pitch is for playing sports on. No decent person should allow a dog on it. There's plenty of other places for the dog to be excerised.

Not a stupid comment Ted. They can bring the dog anywhere they like as long as they clean up after it. A ball is meant to stay on the sports pitch, would you not agree? It's not meant to end up hitting anyone who is not on the pitch...correct? So by your logic, any decent player should not allow it to happen, there are plenty of places for the ball to be on the pitch.

The H&S brigade are ridiculous. Are they campaining about the other H&S issues that can be argued from playing football? Broken bones, sprains, strains, various other collision related injuries?

What about the groups of yummy mummy's with their unruly kids and huge prams blocking the pathway for walkers, joggers? Surely someone has a problem with that also.

You could argue H&S about this and other things in the park all day long. The playground, the stone sculptures, the trees, the slippy paths, the unprotected river bank, the small kerbs, the ice cream / coffee van, the car park, the dogs, the kids, frisbees, footballs, grass cutting machines, the unmaintained work out stations.

It's not good enough to come on here and say the boys cant play football because of canine diseases. It is part of a huge list of potential H&S offences and issues with a park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This cotton wool and litigious attitude is ludicrous and part of something very wrong with this country.

Im only 40 but when i think of the deathtraps and pocked marked pitches we played on when we were young. our rugby pitch was covered in sheep ****e.

its not the councils business to instruct your kids to keep their gobs shut when they finish up on the ground or to shower properly and clean grazes, its yours. otherwise, dont worry, its good for their immunity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Cyclists in this country are a law unto themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

juan.kerr wrote: »
    SOME Cyclists in this country are a law unto themselves.

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

fyp

Change it to 'Many' and I'd agree. Speaking as a pedestrian walking through the city center every day.

Exactly, and dogs crap on grassy areas....it's all a risk. Some dog owners are lazy fookers. The council don't give a fiddlers either.

Not a stupid comment Ted. They can bring the dog anywhere they like as long as they clean up after it. A ball is meant to stay on the sports pitch, would you not agree? It's not meant to end up hitting anyone who is not on the pitch...correct? So by your logic, any decent player should not allow it to happen, there are plenty of places for the ball to be on the pitch.

The H&S brigade are ridiculous. Are they complaining about the other H&S issues that can be argued from playing football? Broken bones, sprains, strains, various other collision related injuries?

What about the groups of yummy mummy's with their unruly kids and huge prams blocking the pathway for walkers, joggers? Surely someone has a problem with that also.

You could argue H&S about this and other things in the park all day long. The playground, the stone sculptures, the trees, the slippy paths, the unprotected river bank, the small kerbs, the ice cream / coffee van, the car park, the dogs, the kids, frisbees, footballs, grass cutting machines, the unmaintained work out stations.

It's not good enough to come on here and say the boys cant play football because of canine diseases. It is part of a huge list of potential H&S offences and issues with a park.

Have you ever played a team sports game on a pitch? from the sound of I seriously doubt it.

Dogs shouldn't be in th playground or on a sports pitch. simple as that.

Marley park has a designated dog park, not sure about cabinteely park, but you won't find a football team playing in it.

I seriously fail to see how you think letting a Dog foul on a pitch is a good thing.

you talk about "The H&S brigade" how about you try joining the common sense Brigade. you sound like a loony left, with your entitilement to let a dog **** where it wants, without thinking that a person shoudld be free to particapate in a field sport with out rolling in dog crap and piss.

its a big park that can accomdate all vested intrest groups.

Kop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

In all fairness with the dog run in the park there is no excuse for having one off the lead. If I want to bring my dog for a walk off the lead i bring him up Killiney hill.

I'd also agree with no cyclists in the park (as a cyclist), it's full of kids and I could see an accident happening very easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

THe only solution will be through the Council. Get onto the Parks dept, or your favourite councillor. Take some videos and post them online, and get the local papers on the case.

Have you ever played a team sports game on a pitch? from the sound of I seriously doubt it.

Dogs shouldn't be in th playground or on a sports pitch. simple as that.

Marley park has a designated dog park, not sure about cabinteely park, but you won't find a football team playing in it.

I seriously fail to see how you think letting a Dog foul on a pitch is a good thing.

you talk about "The H&S brigade" how about you try joining the common sense Brigade. you sound like a loony left, with your entitilement to let a dog **** where it wants, without thinking that a person shoudld be free to particapate in a field sport with out rolling in dog crap and piss.

its a big park that can accomdate all vested intrest groups.

Kop on.

Yes I have "played a team sport on a pitch" for 20+ years.

I agree that a dog walker should pick up after their dog, but I would allow one to walk it on a pitch as long as the mess was taken care of. It is an open grassy area. No chalk lines would stop someone from doing so.

Cabinteely park also has a designaed area for letting a dog off a lead. I dont think letting a dog foul in a park is a good thing, re read my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I have to say these posts make my blood boil. What about players spitting on the ground, or kids caught short having to pee behind a bush.
    Dogs need exercise and so long as they are under control and cleaned up afterwards then it's no issue. There are far worse diseases to be caught from bird poop and un innoculated, un wormed foxes and other wildlife. Should they be banned too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The park is *huge*. One small area is set aside for a childrens play area and one larger (but still relatively small) area is set aside for ball sports. How about this . . . maybe it might just be polite to make an effort to keep dogs off both areas and let them roam around in the 75% of the park that doesn't have a set purpose ?

In response to Larbre34 who said "when i think of the deathtraps and pocked marked pitches we played on when we were young" . . . it may sound trite, but when people go on about "it never did us any harm back in the day", I remind them that it may not have done *them* any harm but the people that things did harm to (like not having seat belts in the '70s) aren't around any more. That's why we have improved health & safety.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

zmccomish wrote: »
    Cabinteely Park, Dun Laoghaire CoCo. is a well maintained public Pk but has several worrying health and safety problems which run counter to their bye laws.Including unleashed dogs defecating on the pitches used by our boys for matches and training with the potential for picking up canine diseases.All day but especially morning cyclists going down the extremely steep hill endangering schoolgoing children, parents and walkers(We even have now at wk ends a racing cyclist in full gear lapping the tarmacadam paths)To confront the dogs owners or cyclists is to be met with a barrage of obscenities.Tell the council.? Been done. Apathy,dont want to know.No manpower.money, and sure we relax the rules.When some young footballer picks up a disease or some walker or runner is seriously injured or killed by a cyclist maybe they then might take action.To compound it some of the cyclists are their own employees.

Has anyone ever picked up a Canine disease - what ones can humans catch from dog poop?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dog poo can cause toxocariasis especially in those with low immunity like young kids. this in turn can cause a secondary cellulosis which can cause permanent blindness and death. excuse the pun but its serious s41t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Has anyone ever picked up a Canine disease - what ones can humans catch from dog poop?

Yep, what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

but how many people know a child who has caught toxocariasis? no one I know or even heard of anyone catching this from playing sports. it's another storm in a tea-cup, the chances of catching it are miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

but how many people know a child who has caught toxocariasis? no one I know or even heard of anyone catching this from playing sports. it's another storm in a tea-cup, the chances of catching it are miniscule.

While I agree with you, there's still no need to let your dog shít on a football pitch in a park that spans 45 hectares

21/25

• Advertisement

uch wrote: »
    While I agree with you, there's still no need to let your dog shít on a football pitch in a park that spans 45 hectares

Obviously! No need not to pick up after it anywhere at anytime.

I don't know of anyone that has committed suicide or died in a car crash either. That doesn't mean I don't think they are problems worth thinking about and addressing. Just because you don't know anyone that has been impacted doesn't mean the problem don't exist.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    I don't know of anyone that has committed suicide or died in a car crash either. That doesn't mean I don't think they are problems worth thinking about and addressing. Just because you don't know anyone that has been impacted doesn't mean the problem don't exist.

z

Now you're just being childish. I do know people who have died in car crashes and by suicide.

I made it quite clear from my post that it was my personal view (obviously as I was writing it) that the chance of catching this disease is miniscule from my experience and those of an awful lot of people I know.

I do know people who have caught that disease from rats urine (name escapes me) from playing golf and licking their fingers after cleaning their golf balls, that doesn't mean it's prevalent or that golf courses should be shut down, it just means people should be careful.

would you like to being a sport and end up with dog **** in your mouth? Players often end up on the ground on the pitch.

would you like to being a sport and end up with dog **** in your mouth? Players often end up on the ground on the pitch.

Sigh.....did you actually bother reading the rest of the thread? It is wrong that people do not pick up their dogs sh*t after them, I've never said otherwise.

I've played sport for many years and never suffered from this disease, I am stating that the risk of this happening is miniscule, not that you may end up falling in sh*t but getting a disease from it.

What about Fox sh*t, rabbit sh*t? Given the ideas spread in this thread about the massive dangers of this, will children ever leave home again?

You know, sh*t happens.......:D

Now you're just being childish. I do know people who have died in car crashes and by suicide.

I made it quite clear from my post that it was my personal view (obviously as I was writing it) that the chance of catching this disease is miniscule from my experience and those of an awful lot of people I know.

I do know people who have caught that disease from rats urine (name escapes me) from playing golf and licking their fingers after cleaning their golf balls, that doesn't mean it's prevalent or that golf courses should be shut down, it just means people should be careful.

You're making my point for me. You know of people who have been in a crash, I don't. I accept crashes happen - just because I haven't experienced one or know someone who has doesn't mean I think it's not an issue. It seems (from your posts) that you are saying that just like *you* don't know anyone who has caught anything from crap on a pitch that it's not a problem.

You say "it just means people should be careful" - I think most people on this thread agree, but the difference is in what is meant by being careful. Some people think it means not letting animals foul the pitches, some means "let the player beware"

z

Sigh.....did you actually bother reading the rest of the thread? It is wrong that people do not pick up their dogs sh*t after them, I've never said otherwise.

I've played sport for many years and never suffered from this disease, I am stating that the risk of this happening is miniscule, not that you may end up falling in sh*t but getting a disease from it.

What about Fox sh*t, rabbit sh*t? Given the ideas spread in this thread about the massive dangers of this, will children ever leave home again?

You know, sh*t happens.......:D
    those wild animals tend to stick to boundaries and avoid open spaces like pitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭zmccomish

Since original post a child has been knocked down by a cyclist illegally cycling at a very fast speed down the steep hill in the park.Next time it could be you, a family member, an elderly person and maybe a worse result than an injured hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Since original post a child has been knocked down by a cyclist illegally cycling at a very fast speed down the steep hill in the park.Next time it could be you, a family member, an elderly person and maybe a worse result than an injured hand.

Was the incident reported to the Council? Or the Gardai?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

How is it illegal to cycle in a park?

Advertisement