Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health and Safety issues Cabinteely Park

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

RosieJoe wrote: »
    How is it illegal to cycle in a park?

it's illegal to cycle on footpaths and there are no roads in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Does that not relate to Rules of the Road? And if it's the case then everyone you see, young and old, cycling in parks is breaking the law! Pfft, don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

There are cycle paths in Cabinteely park though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

C'mon lads, you're getting silly. It's a park - a leisure facility for all users, of all ages. With children, fur-babies or bicycles. A little tolerance and mutual respect goes a long way.

As for germs and bugs, the more of them a child is exposed to, the stronger the immune system. As long as proper poop-scooping is followed, just let it go. It's not like bad behaviour is confined to the park - I was unimpressed by the 6'2 guy on Cornelscourt Hill Road yesterday lunchtime with his straining labrador. Owner stood looking at the sky and then walked on while I waited to negotiate a roundabout. SOOO tempted to do a 360° and offer him a plastic bag. But he was much bigger than me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Taken from the DLRCoCo Parks Bye-laws:
    3. Traffic:
    a. No person shall bring into the park, save with the permission of the Council, any bicycle, skateboard, roller-skates, roller blades or other vehicle except an invalid chair, carriage or a perambulator.

b. No person shall cycle or use any skateboard, roller skates, roller blades, or other vehicle in the parks except on such routes and in such places as may be designated by the Council for this purpose, from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Blowfish wrote: »
    Tabnabs wrote: »

How can they have bye-laws like that in place and then also provide cycle paths :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

How can they have bye-laws like that in place and then also provide cycle paths :confused:
    except on such routes and in such places as may be designated by the Council for this purpose, from time to time.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Tabnabs wrote: »

Cool so no buggies or peams either :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Blowfish wrote: »

are there, it's been quite a while since I've been in there. If so then of course those can be used.
    Quite separately while I'm totally against cycling on the footpath I think paths through parks like this should all be shared, encourage people to use them and cycle more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have never seen them. I do cycle in there the odd time, I go slow, like a jogger pace max, and go really slow or get off if there are kids, I do this on grafton street where it is also not allowed and no garda has ever stopped me, and many have seen me. In the park I will usually cut out onto the grass when passing people from behind, or if they are 2 abreast coming towards me. I cycle in a fashion that I would have no complaints about if I was a garda or warden who was supposed to uphold the rule. I know why the rule/law was introduced, what it was really supposed to prevent -most gardai have sense like this too.

In the park I was stopped by some warden once, he was going mental while I was clearly going slow & safe, he said there were reports of me before going at 'breakneck speed' or something, so he must have mixed me up with someone else, I think he mentioned the colour of my bike.

Maybe the person is confusing it with kilbogget park, which does have cycletracks on the same path as the pedestrian one.

As for the dog crap, I view it like the smoking law, I am not overly concerned about the possible diseases, I am more annoyed with the immediate effects, having to wash & put up with stink, smoke in my clothes & the stink, and crap on my shoes and the stink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭zmccomish

1 Cycling in Cabinteely Pk is prohibited under the councils bye laws(Cycling is permitted in Kilbogget Pk where there are is a clearly marked cycle path)
    There are no cycle paths in Cabinteely Pk.
    2Prams or buggies are not forbidden in the councils parks

Advertisement