Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dumpster-diving accountant: I've saved a fortune

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Greentopia wrote: »
    :D

Nah, we use these: menstrual cups

Not that you have to be a hippy to use one...
    Sweet jesus,how many pints does it hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Sweet jesus,how many pints does it hold?

There are different sizes but you're talking a few teaspoons, no more. Wouldn't like to try to fit a cup inside that would hold a pint! :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

she earned cash by participating in a herpes vaccine trial.

For me that's the scary bit. :eek: How on do you prove the vaccine works without being exposed to Herpes? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You do realise soap is sterile, right?

For tru?

For me that's the scary bit. :eek: How on do you prove the vaccine works without being exposed to Herpes? :eek:

It's probably a vaccine being tested for herpes simplex (oral herpes). I guess??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I don't think I've ever heard of someone living such a miserable existence as that by choice.

She may not realise it but I'd hazard a guess there's a mental health issue that isn't being looked after.

I met plenty of German backpackers in Australia who would live quite like this. About six dollars a day on pasta, noodles, whatever the "eurosaver" typs special was in McDonalds on the day. About 10 dollars a week on alcohol (one four litre bag of low quality wine per week). Only use internet in free cafes (either that or 3 of them would huddle around the same computer they paid for), only go to bars that offer one or two free drinks on arrival (they would then sit there for the next two hours sipping the same beer, completely refusing to actually buy any more). I have no idea why anybody would bother going abroad to live like that. Apart from rent they probably got by on about 70 dollars per week (about 50 euro, although at the time it was about 40 euro!).

While I dont think they lived quite that frugally I knew a few Germans in Dublin who lived in pretty much the same manner. It is a pathetic life to lead considering that they must be fcuking loaded with the savings they have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

The miser could get a bidet plumbed into her bathroom with the money already saved on toilet roll = clean hole without spending on toilet roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

If you threw away a Hoover Galaxy, sitting all lofty, on a skip beside St. Mary's, Star of the Sea / Leahy's Terrace, Sandymount, in the mid 1990s, I used it for another 6/8 years afterwards.

I'm not quite as bad as this person, but I am a Pickaroonie..

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

I knew people that did this in Ireland, I was in a house when they came back from one such excursion. They brought empty rucksacks to a local Super Valu and got a big lots of Oranges, Blueberrys, Stew Veg mixes and carrots etc etc. All ''grand' !!

The amount of great food thrown out was scandalous. I can try root out a photo, I even considered it thread worthy at the time. Surely this food could be given to soup kitchens or support agencies?

fp6r8j.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

That's why our local overpriced kip has bigger padlocks on the food bins than it has on their shutters. They know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I don't think I've ever heard of someone living such a miserable existence as that by choice.

She may not realise it but I'd hazard a guess there's a mental health issue that isn't being looked after.

doesnt sound particularly miserable. if anything it sounds fun - particularly if you're someone who likes a challenge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

She's a funny accent for a Cavan woman.

Shes too mean to speak properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

stoneill wrote: »
    Would you hire an accountant that eats from bins and doesn't wipe her arse?
    you mean go upmarket?

phasers wrote: »
    oh my god, imagine washing your hands with her arse soap
    the very first thing that came to mind. hopefully she only does it at home, as public toilets have free role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

"In addition, Hashimoto also earns money by taking surveys online, tests products for free samples, and takes part in medical trials, which has enabled her to have free birth control for five years by participating in a herpes vaccine trial."

Somehow I feel the" wiping her arse with soap" will sort out the free birth control issue indefinitely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Triangular wrote: »
    I knew people that did this in Ireland, I was in a house when they came back from one such excursion. They brought empty rucksacks to a local Super Valu and got a big lots of Oranges, Blueberrys, Stew Veg mixes and carrots etc etc. All ''grand' !!

The amount of great food thrown out was scandalous. I can try root out a photo, I even considered it thread worthy at the time. Surely this food could be given to soup kitchens or support agencies?

fp6r8j.jpg

Some homeless lad sued tesco recently when they gave him some beyond sell by food that made him ill. I can't remember if he won or not, but all large chains immediately changed their policy on giveaways. Its a shame really.

Strange that she's willing to save all that money and yet still insists on living in her own house. Surely there is cheaper accommodation for someone who clearly has no need for comfort.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    "In addition, Hashimoto also earns money by taking surveys online, tests products for free samples, and takes part in medical trials, which has enabled her to have free birth control for five years by participating in a herpes vaccine trial."

Somehow I feel the" wiping her arse with soap" will sort out the free birth control issue indefinitely
    "She added that she won’t stay in a relationship for its cost effectiveness though.

She explained: 'I’ve been in a relationship where I stayed because I was getting freebies and gifts, but I got out of it."

So, it seems she has em, limits.

The sad thing is she's hot as well.
    em....

You do realise soap is sterile, right?
    not if there's bits of poo on it.

ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

She should be appointed minister of finance !

• Advertisement

I met plenty of German backpackers in Australia who would live quite like this.

If they're on holiday that's completely different. They're probably on a tight budget and the less money they spend the longer they can stay in sunny Australia.
    I'd be the same if I went there. I'd still buy a few beers and have money to do fun stuff but I'd be very careful how I spend it. Nothing wrong with that.
    While I dont think they lived quite that frugally I knew a few Germans in Dublin who lived in pretty much the same manner. It is a pathetic life to lead considering that they must be fcuking loaded with the savings they have made.

If they have something that costs a lot of money like a house deposit they save up for it, they don't take loans unnecessarily. That's the sensible
    thing to do!
    I was in a serious relationship with one and he was careful with money too. Not OTT but quite frugal. It's cultural.
    Also it's a lot more expensive to live in Dublin that German cities. Uwe-German ex-was horrified at the cost of rents in Dublin.

Germans are prudent savers anyway, not spenders. They live within their means and don't go on credit fuelled binges like us.

Who are the pathetic ones now? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

There's something wrong with this. I mean seriously. :eek:

Triangular wrote: »

fp6r8j.jpg
    dont become a state prosecutor, if you define that photo as substantive proof (though i've no doubt it's true)

If they're on holiday that's completely different. They're probably on a tight budget and the less money they spend the longer they can stay in sunny Australia.
    I'd be the same if I went there. I'd still buy a few beers and have money to do fun stuff but I'd be very careful how I spend it. Nothing wrong with that.

I was in a serious relationship with one and he was careful with money too. Not OTT but quite frugal. It's cultural.
    Also it's a lot more expensive to live in Dublin that German cities. Uwe-German ex-was horrified at the cost of rents in Dublin.

Germans are prudent savers anyway, not spenders. They live within their means and don't go on credit fuelled binges like us.

em, De Germans.

it is amazing,but every single German i met was very, very tight with the muala. Guess the war memories are still pretty deep in the psyche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

:D

Nah, we use these: menstrual cups

Not that you have to be a hippy to use one...
    Pottler wrote: »
    Is she by any chance "still single"??

She'll get her own MENSTRUAL BOY some day ......... providing to the war he has not gone.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    em, De Germans.

Em, I don't think so. Remind me again which economy is still growing and which one is in debt crisis? yeah.
    it is amazing,but every single German i met was very, very tight with the muala. Guess the war memories are still pretty deep in the psyche.

There is that yes, but it's also considered not the done thing there to get into debt. It's 'schulden'-debt, the same word as guilt. It's seen as a failing on your part if you have to get into debt (mortgage aside I would imagine).
    I admire them for that. We could learn a thing or two in this country from that attitude.

not if there's bits of poo on it.

People keep saying that but who the hell would leave a bar of soap lying around like that?? unless she has deeper psychological problems than trauma caused by being previously unemployed of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

What is the point in being on holiday if you are eating absoloute crap and not going to see any attractions that have a cover charge? If you are walking 3 miles to avoid paying a dollar on the bus? My idea of having a good time abroad does not involve living on a wartime ration book diet, because that is exactly what it is. .

Granted, certain costs for entertainment and such are lower in Germany because they have better self control than we do. A Dublin bar charging 5.0 a pint will be jammed full of people moaning about the price- but jammed all the same.

The same bar in Germany probably would not last more than a few weeks. Truth be told the bar cartels in Dublin could have charged 12 euro a pint and we would have grumbled but we still would have drank it. So yes, certainly they do better at working together as a group for their mutual benefit.

I remember one place I stayed here, there were a few internet cafe options in the area. You could use an archaic free internet on what I am fairly sure was a Windows 95 system (we got our first home PC in 2000 and this thing was definitely more old school than it was) in the travel agents next door (which closed around six), or you could pay a dollar for a half hour elsewhere. One German girl asked me if the free place was still open. I said it was closed, then told her it was only a dollar for a half hour down the road (a dollar is about 80 cent. The minimum wage in most of Australia is around 16 odd dollars per hour, just to put in context exactly how small an amount of money we are talking here)

She then proudly told me she had been here six months and had paid for internet twice. She would rather sit using a jamming, stalling 15 year old Windows than pay a dollar for something decent. I half felt like asking her what the tastiest piece of food she ever found in a bin was.

And you ask who the pathetic ones are? Out of curiousity did this German lad ever buy you....well,....anything? Ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There is a balance to be struck. Plus not all Irish people are bad with money nor are all Germans good with money.
    Frugality is good but not when it means you're living a money pinching miserable existence. You are alive NOW and can't take the money with you when you die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I love the reactions of people on boards to any idea even remotely different.

I do use cheap toilet paper, €2.50 for 12 in Aldi instead of the super soft double strength quilted variety at €7 a roll. I also wash.

I once fed my family on restaurant left overs, in fact the seven of us eat the best ever and we had to feed the going off food to the birds, we could not finish it all. ~ we'd live off this except health n safety insist the restaurants destroys this food today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

How long does she spend per day rooting through bins for food and how much money would earn if she just worked overtime for that length per day?

If she's an accountant on a good salary I seriously doubt that rooting through bins is more productive than working overtime and using that money to buy food. And that makes her both a bad accountant and a retard.

If she did overtime, she would then still search the bins anyway, as the idea is unlikely due to shortage of money for food, but to avoid spending any money, for whatever reason, possibly mental ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Whats a "Level 42 B-side" and what relevance has it to arse wiping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

People keep saying that but who the hell would leave a bar of soap lying around like that?? unless she has deeper psychological problems than trauma caused by being previously unemployed of course.

If she won't buy a pack of toilet roll then no way is she gonna buy separate soaps for her face and her arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

phasers wrote: »
    If she won't buy a pack of toilet roll then no way is she gonna buy separate soaps for her face and her arse
    I doubt she rams the actual bar of soap up her sh1tty arse! Presumably she creates the lather by hand and then rubs her back passage vigorously. No need for an extra soap, it's that kind of wanton opulence that caused the recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What a miserable bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I doubt she rams the actual bar of soap up her sh1tty arse! Presumably she creates the lather by hand and then rubs her back passage vigorously. No need for an extra soap, it's that kind of wanton opulence that caused the recession.

Nope she actually rubs her hole with the bar, says it in the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

True in a normal situation but can you imagine the state of her arse after foraging from rubbish bins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What a miserable bitchAccountant.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Two nuns in a bath.
    The first one says "Where's the soap"
    the second one replies "Yes it does sister".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Many Asians regard wiping your arse as very unhygienic. It makes sense when you think about.

In South East Asia they use a power hose that's located beside the cistern. It's very effective and feels nice.

kraggy wrote: »
    Many Asians regard wiping your arse as very unhygienic. It makes sense when you think about.

In South East Asia they use a power hose that's located beside the cistern. It's very effective and feels nice.

Depends, if it was a good, solid **** then yeah, when it's a hanger-on I'd be hosing blind for half an hour before being confident that I'd gotten everything.

• kraggy wrote: »

It is unhygienic. Nothing very clean about wiping sh1te around your arse with dry toilet paper and it is incredibly wasteful as well. Not sure why this is standard practice now and people regard bidets etc as weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It is unhygienic. Nothing very clean about wiping sh1te around your arse with dry toilet paper and it is incredibly wasteful as well. Not sure why this is standard practice now and people regard bidets etc as weird.

Yeah, Asian hygiene habits in this regard are quite ahead of us Westerners. Having been to Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and Brunei it is standard that there is a toilet hose fitted next to toilet. The "Bum Gun" is pretty cool and it is a much cleaner solution. Using one in Ireland would be a laugh, imagine giving yourself a hose down with ice cold water in the middle of winter! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Indeed. I don't know why we don't just use the three seashells method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I saw this on the tele the other night. She invited her friends around to her gaff for dinner. Dinner that she'd taken from bins in the street earlier that night.

When the house guests found out they were eating from bins they weren't very impressed.

Oh, and whoever thinks she's hot - needs their fucking eyes / head examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

She should be commended, her lifestyle is good for the environment, good for her finances and good for society.

As has been stated by a few posters, cleaning your anus with soap and water is superior to cleaning it with dry paper and if she has a good diet (which seem likely) there will be little or no residue to clean anyway.

She has proved that she is able to live on very little and is financially independent or will be very soon. If she so wishes she will be able to give up paid employment and become part of the investor class with the money she has saved producing more than enough passive income for her to live comfortably for decades.

Whereas those who sneer at her are likely to be part of the debt laden, wage slave class who need to spend much of their lives working (in a job they may well hate) until they are 60, 65, 70 to support their consumerism and excess. Then they'll retire with little or nothing of substance and/or rely on the State to provide for them.

Well personally I wipe it off rather than just around, but then maybe not everyone has an extra 15-20 seconds to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Does it say how she goes to the toilet in work? If she uses their toile paper then the 'good for the environment' is a crock.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I feel sorry for this woman.

She obviously suffers from some sort of extreme Obsessive/Compulsive mental illness. There is one thing being frugal - which is a good thing IMO - but eating from dumpsters and washing your clothes in the shower is not right.:(

She needs help, not to be laughed at by "reality" television. I wonder if her family are aware of her lifestyle? Perhaps (given her surname) they're living in Japan and don't know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement