Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Memorable/Powerful Moments in Gaming (Possible Spoilers)

• 19-10-2012 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

MOD WARNING: Use spoiler tags or don't post at all.

I have played alot of games over the years , since back on the megadrive/snes days and over the years there has being a lot of fun games that i enjoyed but there has been only a few that strike out that struck a chord and being some highlights i never forget , whether it be a boss , cutscene or even the music.

A lot of people here on boards have being playing games longer than myself so i thought it be interesting to hear peoples thoughts of that one part in a game that made them go wow and they never forget ever again.

To me the most powerful moment in gaming was in silent hill 2 where you meet Maria in the prison cell , i found this scene so powerful in storytelling and the way she spoke to you , you started piecing together what was actually happening. I wont go on anyway further but i loved this scene and perhaps the biggest highlight to me that i can think of right now.

the other part in silent hill 2 that i love was its ending
    Mary Letter
    perhaps the most heart filling thing i ever experienced in gaming

the youtube link explains what im talking about but its a spoiler

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I know it's very cliché these days, but FF7 when Aeris got killed.
    It was a WTF moment for me !

Aside from that, a total game changer was in Metal Gear Solid , the fight versus Psycho Mantis...where he starts reading your memory card, and then switches the controls to Port-2 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Actually this year Spec Ops The Line.

Not spoiling cos its a game that SHOULD be played by the masses( and in years to come prolly will)
    but it involves Phosporus
    ..... i actually felt bad :(

Only time a video game has affected me by the choices i made within it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I know it's very cliché these days, but FF7 when Aeris got killed.
    It was a WTF moment for me !

Aside from that, a total game changer was in Metal Gear Solid , the fight versus Psycho Mantis...where he starts reading your memory card, and then switches the controls to Port-2 !!

These are the exact 2 i came in to post

Melion wrote: »
    These are the exact 2 i came in to post

I obviously read your mind :p:o............"I'll get me coat"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,960 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The ending to Metal Gear Solid 3. For me, the best ending in a game (story wise rather than in terms of gameplay). Everything from the music, the voiceover... Everything about that ending was simply perfect. MGS4s ending suffered from having to be the end of the series as well as the ending to the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Jose Gonzales in RDR, entering Mehico. First one that came to mind.

Quatermain wrote: »
    Spoiler

uhh your ruining it for others :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

There is a spoiler alert right in the thread title. If it does cause that much woe, I would be pleased to remove it. Also, c'mon. It's nearly ten years old by this stage.

There is a spoiler alert right in the thread title. If it does cause that much woe, I would be pleased to remove it. Also, c'mon. It's nearly ten years old by this stage.

It sold 5 copies noone played it :(

Such a shame really , fantastic game. And that moment is quite brilliant :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Shadow of the Colossus.

That moment when you realise
    YOU ARE THE BAD GUY.

I didn't feel like playing it for months afterwards, and had to push myself to finish it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

SeantheMan wrote: »

And in MGS4 when you try that controller 2 trick against mantis and get politely told to cop the fcuk on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Next time don't be so selfish and use spoiler tags, it's not that difficult.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've a few.

Earthbound is pretty much a game that for 40 hours builds up to a huge emotional pay off. It seems like a quirky funny RPG until you finish it. Even if I described the ending here it wouldn't spoil it since you have to experience the entire game for yourself to get the effect but it's one of the most depressing and abrasive climaxes of any game. It's the only game I know that rivals literature for evoking emotion and funnily enough one of japans greatest living authors wrote the story.

Then there's Earthbounds direct sequel Mother 3 which is an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish. Two scenes stuck in my mind. First
    Flint going crazy in front of his children when he finds out his wife is dead. The lead up to that moment and the pay off really struck me
    . The second was the ending
    spending so long in that wonderful world only to see it destroyed was heartbreaking.

Suikoden 2 makes FFVII seem like an episode of the teletubbies. It's a story about how a war destroys the lives of three childhood friends. The worst however was watching the intro again which shows them growing up together after you know what happens afterwards:

Nier was a very emotional journey but nothing can prepare you for when you start new game+.
    Massive spoiler here but in new game plus you can understand what the enemies are saying and it's only then you realise what they are and how they had as much right to live as you did.

Panzer Dragoon Orta got to me as a PD fan. Big Panzer Dragoon Saga spoiler as well:
    In a bittersweet moment you find that after Saga, Azel never did find Edge after she learnt to love. She did however manage to become more than a drone by creating a child, Orta, from her DNA and Edges DNA stored in Sestren.

Most surprisingly emotional moment, Gears of War 2. For a series that celebrates being stupid macho-ism they some how managed to pull off that Maria subplot really well.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Next time don't be so selfish and use spoiler tags, it's not that difficult.

Won't happen again.

I didn't see the post, can you repost WITH spoiler tags ?, some of the above posts make no sense as the one they reference was removed

As I said, in the game Beyond Good and Evil, you play a woman who runs a shelter for war orphans in the middle of an alien invasion. Said shelter is built into a lighthouse, which becomes a comforting influence during the harsh war.

Then,
    it all turns bad. About two-thirds of the way through the game, the lighthouse is destroyed by the treacherous special forces meant to be protecting the planet, and the children are abducted. You are treated to the scene of the main character comforting the family pet, while mournfully cursing herself for a misplaced sense of heroism. If she hadn't been haring off around the world looking for evidence of a conspiracy, she would have been able to save them. It's an unbearably tragic moment.

Again, I am very sorry for not spoilering in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Like everyone else I have my list of games that got to me on an emotional level and I could list them here but in March of this year a game went beyond anything I could have imagined getting from a game. Being the nature of the thread I will share again. I'll just quote myself to save typing it out again.

The game is Journey;
    Big Knox wrote: »
    That was honestly my favourite 2 hours of gaming ever.

Yes I get that the mechanics aren't spot on for what it ultimately is trying to do but that doesn't matter, the sense of companionship the game invokes is like no other.

I sat down in the sitting room with the lights off and headphones on and just let myself get sucked in. It was probably the most immersed I've ever felt with a game. I don't care about the length or the "value for money is directly related to hours playtime" lark. For me if something can reach me on an emotional level as this did the way it did then it's priceless.

A very close friend of mine died last year, he was as much into games as I am and we would always spend time playing through games together. This is the exact type of game I would tell him about and happily sit and watch him play through or vice versa. We used to spend time playing Demon Soul's together without voice chat and when my companion showed up I immediately thought of him as the feeling brought me back. For this reason to me for that 2 hours I played it was him I was with. I know I sound overly sentimental but fcuk me I feel it. I'll openly admit I cried at the end after the experience and it honestly felt like I had him back for the 2 hours we played. Actually in a way I did have him back.

This game now means more to me than I could have ever possibly imagined and I know it will stay with me for the rest of my life. Sorry if this is a bit much but I thought I would share the experience...

I'll never forget it. It's still an experience I think about almost daily. No other medium could have done that for me and it's a constant reminder as to why I love playing games!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ahh, there's just so many...spoilers obviously.

System Shock 2 - Polito reveal. The greatest twist in a game, ever (imo).

Homeworld - Return to Kharak. Barbers Adagio. Brilliant moment.

Half Life 2 - Gman. The ending had me totally confused, and i bloody loved it.

Other honourable mentions...
    Freespace 2 ending - 'bad' ending, but the one i consider canon. Just worked for me.
    Mass Effect 2 - Intro. Well damn, i was not expecting that...
    Half Life 2 - Episode 2 ending. Bloody hell. And you make me wait 5 years after that? :mad:
    World of Warcraft - Deadmines. Going in here for the first time was an amazing experience, which hasn't been matched in any mmo since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Journey does indeed have several such moments, but a particularly joyful and affecting moment to me was a level in the middle. Initially the sliding down sand mechanic seemed like a fun little visual flourish that enhanced the immersion but didn't serve any practical purpose. And then... well anyone who has played the game will know what I'm talking about. The Cheshire Cat had nothing on me during that sequence. The game has more terrifying, dark moments, but that burst of pure joy and elegant movement is what I remember fondly when looking back at the game.

The story in Braid was mostly told through strange, obtuse and overwritten passages of text before every level. Then comes the ending, which marries mechanics and narrative in a startling and unexpected way, making you completely reevaluate your relationship with the game. It's a scripted sequence, but interestingly that's what makes it all the more heartbreaking. Similarly, the ending of Half-Life 2 Episode 2 is memorable because - in a series that has always prided itself in giving the player full control of their movement even during story and dialogue series -
    it, for a terrifying and tragic moment, takes control away. It makes you feel truly useless, which is particularly inspired given it directly follows what was probably the series' most empowering, open action sequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭KilOit

Most recently ME3 fleet battle is pretty awsome, the 3 games built up to this point so was fantastic to see it and it didn't disappoint. The end of course was a little off but meh.

• Advertisement

I have a soft spot for the endings of Persona 3 and 4, especially 4.
    After spending 80+ hours with your classmates it really did feel like saying goodbye to close friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Then there's Earthbounds direct sequel Mother 3 which is an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish. Two scenes stuck in my mind. First
    Flint going crazy in front of his children when he finds out his wife is dead. The lead up to that moment and the pay off really struck me
    . The second was the ending
    spending so long in that wonderful world only to see it destroyed was heartbreaking.

I love the game dearly, as I've mentioned to the point of exhaustion, but I've long since had a minor gripe with the opening act of Mother 3.
    Namely, the residents of Tazmily went ahead with the vast majority of Hinawa's funeral without Flint. Bit of a dick move, lads.

Regardless, I came into Mother 3 fresh off Earthbound, and was expecting something similar, in that it's a laxidazical affair that doesn't make whole 'til you've finished it, and it sticks with you a bit, when you start to feel what you've been through. Not in Mother 3, oh nope, boof! less than an hour in:
    Hinawa's dead and Claus is missing

Wasn't ready for that at all, bit of a suckerpunch.

I guess I'd mention Chrono Trigger too, if we're talking bits that stick.
    Chrono's sacrifice was a bit leftfield, for anyone's who watched more than five minutes of telly and, as a result, aren't used to the main protagonist properly kicking the bucket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

That conversation from Silent Hill 2 is absolutely incredible. It means something a little different every time you play through it, knowing a little bit more. Almost Shakespearian in its elegance, I'd argue, if I was in a mood for sounding pretentious.

Full speech here. It's just an astonishing bit of voice acting by the Maria lady. It was absolute madness to even consider changing it for the re-release.

I also - and this is dumb, and probably not what OP was looking for - was deeply traumatised by the first time I killed a guard in MGS2. I was used to tranquilising them, and then I got hold of a real gun and was playing around with it for the first time, when I accidentally shot the terrified, shivery held-up guard. It was awful. And weird, I mean I've never felt bad about murdering virtua people before. :(

The letter being read at the end of Silent Hill 2 gets me as well. Jeremy Blaustein said that when they were recording it the actor was in tears by the end and so was everyone in the recording booth. I was close to tears listening to it.

I forgot about the ending of Majora's Mask as well which was very bittersweet:
    You saved Termina but were now leaving it and nobody recognises the it was you that just saved it. Also all those subquests you did like reuniting the lost lovers never happened.
    Actually that whole game was extremely dark what with everyone expecting to die and trying to tie up loose ends before it happened and the whole Skullkid story. The subquest on the farm was particularly harrowing if you read into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Nice one, i get to mention something before someone else!!

The easy was to say this is basically the entire Soul Reaver story. The ending to the first one was, well, abrupt, but left you sitting there going "That bastard!". Bring on SR2. And then, during SR2, you find out that Kain
    turned his enemies into his loyal subjects, and you were originally his most feared enemies, and in your journey to get Kain you've killed all your old brethern
    . That moment will live with me forever. Or even the ending to Defiance, where
    you find that this has happened before, many times, and will continue to do so.
    Destine abhors a paradox.

That video for Dead Rising. Even though the game didn't get the emotion of that video, it was a powerful moment in gaming.

The ending of Assassins Creed: Revelations.
    The death of Altair and the death of Ezio in Embers.
    Two moments that got to me. Very well done.

I'm sure i'll think of more, they are just the stand out ones at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

KilOit wrote: »
    Most recently ME3 fleet battle is pretty awsome, the 3 games built up to this point so was fantastic to see it and it didn't disappoint. The end of course was a little off but meh.

Kinda related to that, but the very very end of Mass Effect 2
    when it pulls out to the fringes of the galaxy and shows Harbinger light up....followed by the hundreds and then thousands of other Reapers slowly come online and start slowly advancing forwards and then END! was :eek: In context you had a tough time fight 1 and a half Reapers, now there are thousands......great setup of the stakes for ME3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Shadow Of The Colossus
    Agro's fall :(

Would ye kindly - forgot about that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And i'm also reminded in Mass Effect 3 when
    Legion sacrifices himself
    . God that one tugged at the heart strings.

Advertisement