Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Memorable/Powerful Moments in Gaming (Possible Spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

And i'm also reminded in Mass Effect 3 when
    Legion sacrifices himself
    . God that one tugged at the heart strings.

One of the few times I felt sorry for an AI - the other time was Terminator 2 :P thumbs up at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Would ye kindly - forgot about that one

such a great moment when you realise what's been going on the whole game.

Ocarina Of Time, when you first get the master sword in the temple of time, Zelda always ahs some pretty epic moments.

Gears of War 3:
    Dom's sacrifice, when Mad World starts playing over the fmv scene as everything is blowing up, equal parts cheese and awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the God Of War series has tons, (spoilers for all 3 main games)
    the minotaur, finally solving the labryinth, seeing the island of creation and running across the chains for the first time, the sisters of fate boss, Atlas, Kronos, fighting Hercules and beating him to death, the ascent from Hades, so many epic moments in those games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The
    death of Mordin Solus
    takes it for me. The actions of the man coupled with the
    circumstances of curing the genophage
    ... Great. Easily the most powerful moment of the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Sadly Mordin died in ME2 in my playthrough so never saw that vid, but man the way he shouts "I mad a mistake!" just shows the ME series has some fantastic voice acting.

Another moment from ME2, Legions Loyalty mission
    Do you choose to brainwash a species to give up their faith, or murder them all?
    Hardest choice I ever made in that series of games, sat for about 5 minutes trying to decide the fate of a bunch of game characters :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Kiith wrote: »
    Homeworld - Return to Kharak. Barbers Adagio. Brilliant moment.

Jesus, I'd never had a game affect me on such a level as the opening section of Homeworld. That music, combined with such masterful voice acting, it just evokes so much loss and numb grief, puts a lump in my throat every time.

The only moment since then to have as powerful an effect on me was the credits to Arkham City. After the, ahem, looseness, of the main story, the end scene was a massive slap across the face in a "holy crap did that just happen?" sort of way, and then while I was sitting there, watching the credits roll, with a confusing mix of emotions, they went and punched me in the gut with this little number:

Maybe I take Batman a bit too seriously, but I actually felt melancholy for days after finishing that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I forgot about the ending of Majora's Mask as well which was very bittersweet:
    You saved Termina but were now leaving it and nobody recognises the it was you that just saved it. Also all those subquests you did like reuniting the lost lovers never happened.

The ending shows that
    Romani Ranch's cows haven't been abducted, the Deku Princess and the monkey have been saved, Grog's chicks have become fully-grown Cuccos, Pamela's father has been healed, Anju and Kafei get married
    , and so on… so it seems to suggest that the positive outcomes of at least some of the sidequests are still retained. I definitely agree that it's an incredibly dark game, though -
    even though the ending is mostly happy, you have other scenes mixed in like the Butler weeping over his son's disfigured corpse
    . I can't think of any other game or narrative work that so strongly and pervasively conveys the dread of being alive and knowing you will die.

Mass Effect 3 had so many subtle moments that proved to be extremely powerful, especially for those that paid attention -

This wonderful moment where during different segments you would listen to this Asari soldier tells this story about her experience during the War

I really think that ME3, if you overlook how bad the original ending is, was one of the best games of this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Mass Effect 3 had so many subtle moments that proved to be extremely powerful, especially for those that paid attention -

This wonderful moment where during different segments you would listen to this Asari soldier tells this story about her experience during the War

I really think that ME3, if you overlook how bad the original ending is, was one of the best games of this year.

I remember that.Id often stop to listen to those conversations. There was another one in the Citadel where you could listen in on a conversation between a human woman and her asari lover about breaking the news to the womans husband that she was leaving him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'd agree with a lot of the mass effect ones and definetly the homeworld return to kharrak! brilliant.

But here's an old one..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭jones

The first time you come from underground and see the jungle in Farcry has always stuck with me!! Wonder will the third game be any use

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Aside from that, a total game changer was in Metal Gear Solid , the fight versus Psycho Mantis...where he starts reading your memory card, and then switches the controls to Port-2 !!

This moment gets mentioned a lot and it's obvious why as it was so innovative. But I can't say that I remember how I reacted to it the first time I played it. What I can remember about that first play through of MGS though was something that happened about 20 minutes after the Mantis fight finished which was
    Meryl getting shot.
    It blew my mind how bothered I was about what had just happened and I can pin-point it as the exact moment that games went from being something I loved but a form of entertainemtn and that's it to being something that I was capable of emotionally investing in.

MGS really was a sensational game.

Rockstar have got good with their powerful moments in recent years. The events towards the end of both GTA IV and RDR knocked me for six.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Red Dead Redemption and
    Marston's last stand
    . I thought it was a brilliant moment and the fact that it came after playing a few missions with his family made it even more powerful imo

Edit: although this may have been what Beefy78 was referring to above

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant at the end of my post there. It was a very powerful moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

From MGS4...
    When you go back to Shadow Moses.

As a sucker for nostalgia this brought tears to my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This moment gets mentioned a lot and it's obvious why as it was so innovative. But I can't say that I remember how I reacted to it the first time I played it. What I can remember about that first play through of MGS though was something that happened about 20 minutes after the Mantis fight finished which was
    Meryl getting shot.
    It blew my mind how bothered I was about what had just happened and I can pin-point it as the exact moment that games went from being something I loved but a form of entertainemtn and that's it to being something that I was capable of emotionally investing in.

MGS really was a sensational game.

Very good one.

On paper, Meryl should have been the most annoying conceit ever, but she worked really well - like you say, I was really invested in trying to rescue her. Even though I kinda new there wasn't any real time limit on getting the PSG1, I still raced back like a crazy bitch because it was as if a real person in real pain while I was dawdling. Being rendered so close and yet so helpless was really intense.

My first playthrough I cracked under torture and she bit the dust and that traumatised me terribly.

Very good one.

My first playthrough I cracked under torture and she bit the dust and that traumatised me terribly.

I was brilliant at tapping that square or whatever the key.
    The Irish song (Ceard a tharla ?) at the end was more poignant if
    "Meryl"
    dies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I was brilliant at tapping that square or whatever the key.
    The Irish song (Ceard a tharla ?) at the end was more poignant if
    "Meryl"
    dies
    I remember reading PLAY magazine at the time and them saying the haunting end theme was sung in Inuit or something :eek:

According to Wikipedia it was written in Japanese and translated by Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh of all people.

I remember reading PLAY magazine at the time and them saying the haunting end theme was sung in Inuit or something :eek:

According to Wikipedia it was written in Japanese and translated by Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh of all people.

Couldn't tell ye, I remember hearing it originally and immediately recognising that it was being sung as Gaeilge, and was able to understand and translate it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Couldn't tell ye, I remember hearing it originally and immediately recognising that it was being sung as Gaeilge, and was able to understand and translate it too.

I think it was recorded in Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I think it was recorded in Ireland...

Over in Galway as far as I rememeber, read a short article on it where they played the scene from MGS for the singer as she had never seen the finished piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Bit of a blast from the past but I just thought of it. The ending of halo 1. That warthog race to escape the ship was amazing, it was the first game I played on the Xbox so it was pretty amazing experience all round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

When you leave the first dungeon in Oblivion and the sun shines on the lake.

Also killing my first human in a Tomb Raider series at the end of the first chapter of number one I think, I dont know but it was pretty awesome fighting someone than just the local Jurassic fauna of the area

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,082 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Over in Galway as far as I rememeber, read a short article on it where they played the scene from MGS for the singer as she had never seen the finished piece.

The singer's from Gweedore. Her name is Aoife Ní Fhearraigh. It did give me a bit of a kick being able to understand the lyrics.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

actually cant belive this wasnt mentioned but..........
    Aeris anyone?

also if anyone has played the recent walking dead game...... that for me has had
    some of the most emotionally toughest moments in any game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,082 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

caspa307 wrote: »
    Aeris anyone?

I always thought she was a really annoying and dull character.
    She was more concerned with a guy she liked rather than the fact that she might not even be human ffs.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

she was young dammit!!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The Walking Dead for me, can't spoiler on the phone but every episode basically has a desicion that makes you feel bad.

And the fact I make every desicion for the benefit of clem, even on a second playthrough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Two Sega games stand out for me. The first is the credits in Skies of Aracdia. Really wrapped up the game nicely and changed depending on who you interacted with in the game.

The second is Valkyria Chronicles when
    Rosie sings by Isara's graveside
    . I've been playing games a long time and never come across such an emotionally charged scene. Forget Aeris, this was the real deal.

• Advertisement

caspa307 wrote: »
    Aeris anyone?

It was mentioned in the 2nd post of the thread :rolleyes:

Advertisement