Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Memorable/Powerful Moments in Gaming (Possible Spoilers)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,082 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Batman: Arkham City. Crime Alley.

Resident Evil 3.
    The final battle with Nemesis. I remember shouting frantically for the rail cannon's computer to help me when it was charging.

Metal Gear Solid. For reasons stated above.

Dead Rising. Mowing down dozens of zombies with a lawnmower.

Final Fantasy X. My first RPG. Story had me completely and utterly hooked.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

No spoilers here. I remember playing a mission in the real-time-strategy game Company of Heroes where you had to overrun and take control of a hill with various forms of enemy artillary on top. This was located on the far side of the map with numerous advancing enemy positions scattered throughout the map.

You had 30mins to do so with the timer kindly pulsing away in the corner of the screen. I was struggling. Trying to deal with random skirmishes involving enemy tanks, snipers, machine gunners etc. while also trying to make advances towards the hill with it's bombarding artillary was proving difficult.

About 1 minute left, I desperately rolled the dice for the last time. I highlighted every single troop/tank at my disposal and instructed them towards the hill, abandoning the critical positions they should have been defending. About thirty seconds left I knew all was lost. I moved the screen to a quiet section of the map not wanting to witness my failure, sat back, folded my arms and contemplated the different ways I was going to tackle this mission again. I knew it would be a day or two before I tried again since 30 minutes of full concentration took its toll.

10 seconds to go, I moved the screen back to the target hill. My troops had somehow broken through the enemy's defence, planted the explosives and ran for cover. Tick...tock...tick...tock.........KABOOM!. "MISSION COMPLETE" with 5 seconds to spare. It was very much a 'yeah right' Holywood moment but one which I still remember. What a fantastic game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

The ending in Darksiders 1.
    "No, not alone"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fragile Dreams on the Wii is full of very moving moments. It's all about how people strive for and need the company others and follows a boy in a post apocalytic world trying to find out if he really is the only person left alive.

Once you get to the very first ghost you meet you know it's going to be tears from here on.
    You read about a woman who left her child behind during the apocalytic events before the game promising to come back but never did. Then you find the ghost of that child.

There's plenty more moments like that:
    P.F. running out of battery
    Finding out the truth behind crow and the merchant

But the biggie for me was
    Seto finding the CB radio and finally finding out he isn't alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Fable 2's ending. That was heart wrenching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

just finished god of war 3 there and some of the boss fights were pretty epic.At the start of the game you're crawling on Gaia and the battle against Kronos was fairly good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I just remembered another moment:

Elite Beat Agents (DS), Stage 12

Making grown men cry like babies since 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

One of the most memorable was finally finishing Street Fighter and defeating Bison, firstly with Chun Li. Game endings were relatively new to me at that stage, so seeing Bison fall in slow motion and the ending roll up was quite the feeling of accomplishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Was reminded of this last night after a friend got the game.

Climbing the mountain towards the end of Journey. I had managed to come across another player so we followed each other towards the end of the game as it went on. Then we hit the snow, and as hard as we tried, he died next to me. And didn't come back. (Possible he left the game....)
    I was upset, and decided I wasn't stopping here and I would continue on. Got feckin' emotional towards the top.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Corholio wrote:
    One of the most memorable was finally finishing Street Fighter and defeating Bison, firstly with Chun Li. Game endings were relatively new to me at that stage, so seeing Bison fall in slow motion and the ending roll up was quite the feeling of accomplishment.

The day you completed Street Fighter 2 was the most memorable day in your life. But for Bison it was Tuesday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Finishing my 1st Text Adventure, The Price of Magik, on the C=64 way back in 87.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Assassins creed 3. How'd you like those apples? Very much sir, very much indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Assassins creed 3. How'd you like those apples? Very much sir, very much indeed.

Yes, that was cool. My reaction was roughly ''Wait...what? Well, son of a bitch....''

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Seeing the Dinosaur in Tomb Raider and Resident Evil in general.

tomb_raider_t-rex-1-.jpg

Coming from the mega drive and being 12, everything was a new experience.

I think the licker scene in Resident Evil 2, was the biggest wh4t the f2ck scene ever of my gaming career.

Remember playing it my brother who was 10 at the time and thinking what was that, what was that, did you see that!

Memories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Playing DayZ for the first time, nothing else like it period!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

TheFairy wrote: »
    Playing DayZ for the first time, nothing else like it period!

Really ?.....really ?
    That is your most memorable moment in your life of gaming ?

Good for you I guess that its fresh and you get to play it in its prime...but wow....you've played some of the other games mentioned in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Have to agree with most that have been mentioned here already.Most of all Aries in Final Fantasy VII. I know its probably the obvious one, but that **** affected me when I was growing up :p

Another one that I haven't seen mentioned is from Ace Combat 5, The Unsung War. Namely
    Chopper getting killed in action and the ceremony for him that followed
    That was one game that seriously sucked me in!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lockky

Quatermain wrote: »
    As I said, in the game Beyond Good and Evil, you play a woman who runs a shelter for war orphans in the middle of an alien invasion. Said shelter is built into a lighthouse, which becomes a comforting influence during the harsh war.

Then,
    it all turns bad. About two-thirds of the way through the game, the lighthouse is destroyed by the treacherous special forces meant to be protecting the planet, and the children are abducted. You are treated to the scene of the main character comforting the family pet, while mournfully cursing herself for a misplaced sense of heroism. If she hadn't been haring off around the world looking for evidence of a conspiracy, she would have been able to save them. It's an unbearably tragic moment.

Again, I am very sorry for not spoilering in the first place.

I remember being sick in Temple Street for about a month when I was maybe 10 or 11. This was the only game I would play the whole time. Definitely one of the best games I ever played, it was absolutely superb with regards to story and just the generally innovative gameplay. 10/10 everyone should try to get to play this at some point!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Really ?.....really ?
    That is your most memorable moment in your life of gaming ?

Good for you I guess that its fresh and you get to play it in its prime...but wow....you've played some of the other games mentioned in the thread?

Erm not sure how to respond.....I didn't realise there was a menu I had to pick from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gonna pick something out that rarely get smentioned.

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
    When playing as Terra and you return home and have to kill your Master Eraquis in order to save Ven
    Terra's theme music in that scene was brilliantly used imo.

I also loved the hidden ending scene at the end
    Seriously sad, everything that happens in the later games, the fact that armageddon was delayed so long, was down to the sacrifice of the original three Keyblade Masters and it really sets up KH3

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

More than 25 years ago now at this stage..

But it has to be the part in Chucky Egg - when the duck in the cage gets out and flies about the place after you..

I actually think I may have **** my pants the first the time it happpened..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Link's awaking
    The ending when you realise the whole island was just the wind fishes dream. After you wake him you see everyone you met disappearing
    Also being branded THIEF :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

In Zelda: Ocarina of Time, accidently jumping out of the farm on the horse and thus stealing Epona for the rest of the game. I had no idea it was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Was reminded of this last night after a friend got the game.

Climbing the mountain towards the end of Journey. I had managed to come across another player so we followed each other towards the end of the game as it went on. Then we hit the snow, and as hard as we tried, he died next to me. And didn't come back. (Possible he left the game....)
    I was upset, and decided I wasn't stopping here and I would continue on. Got feckin' emotional towards the top.

Is it possible to not die at the snow part then? I've 'died' both times I've played it through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

That level in Hitman: Chronicles where you have to kill the guys in their manor house.

Sneak up to the loft, and throw a can of petrol down the chimney.
    BA-BOOOOOOM! LOLOLOLOLOL

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not quite a particular game sequence or anything but for me it has to be a league race for Celtic club against England race i had in iracing a couple of years ago.

In the Formula Mazda series i had a 25 lap battle for 2nd place in a crucial league race.
    By far the most intense and rewarding experience ive ever had in gaming,quite literally heartstopping stuff.

Some footage of a few laps :)

https://vimeo.com/3556173

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't know if it's been mentioned but for me it could only ever be GOW3
    Dom sacrificing himself to save the rest of the group
    or maybe GOW2
    Dom killing his wife after she went mental from being tortured
    or GOW2 again
    Tai killing himself even though he was saved from being tortured

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Dcully wrote: »
    Not quite a particular game sequence or anything but for me it has to be a league race for Celtic club against England race i had in iracing a couple of years ago.

In the Formula Mazda series i had a 25 lap battle for 2nd place in a crucial league race.
    By far the most intense and rewarding experience ive ever had in gaming,quite literally heartstopping stuff.

Some footage of a few laps :)

https://vimeo.com/3556173

Haha the sweaty palms, the uncontrollable shaking and the worry you are going to fcuk it all up on the last lap!

My first online race win in Grand Prix Legends (11 years ago now :eek:) is similar.
    After about 8 months of practise I was at the level that I could keep up with the front runners at Monza. I took the lead with 2 laps to go after dicing with the leader most of the race. Trying to keep him behind and to keep the car on the track with fast fading tyres was horrendous. I was a shaking, sweating, ecstatic mess after it.:P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Haha the sweaty palms, the uncontrollable shaking and the worry you are going to fcuk it all up on the last lap!

My first online race win in Grand Prix Legends (11 years ago now :eek:) is similar.
    After about 8 months of practise I was at the level that I could keep up with the front runners at Monza. I took the lead with 2 laps to go after dicing with the leader most of the race. Trying to keep him behind and to keep the car on the track with fast fading tyres was horrendous. I was a shaking, sweating, ecstatic mess after it.:P

Yes the sweaty palms and uncontrollable shaking is so true.
    GPL was and still is fantastic, it set the bar for everything else for years.

Advertisement