Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Memorable/Powerful Moments in Gaming (Possible Spoilers)

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

In recent games, the obvious one that stands out is in The Last of Us.
    The giraffe scene. Fantastic scene, and i spent a good 5 minutes just standing there watching them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

Quite recently, in XCOM: Enemy Within.
    Operation: Ashes and Temples. You're in the Mission Control room. You're scanning the globe, waiting for research, or for your fighters to be repaired. You're checking the latest intel, making sure all your veterans are back on their feet, and the wounded are being seen to. And then the holo-globe shakes. It trembles. And then it blinks out entirely. Alarms start screaming, the base going red-lit as it switches to emergency capacitors. Dust and rubble pours from the ceiling as unknowable *things* scrabble their way through the ventilation system. Intel officers and engineers begin to turn on you, disabling the Skyranger and attacking Bradford, who is forced to grab a sidearm and step up to the plate. It's an attack. An attack on your home ground.

With a few, random agents and base security personnel, you have to hold the line. Against mutons, against cyberdiscs, against damn near everything Johnny E.T. can throw at you. And when the smoke clears, and the bodies are counted, you're still standing. Your men could have tumbled out of their bunks with nothing but their shirts and conventional assault weapons, but they're all still standing. The invaders came for you and yours on your own home turf, and you cast them back. You sent a message. And if they didn't get it before, they damn well got it now.

This is our house. This is our planet. You are most certainly not welcome here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

This ending music:

It's a pure nostalgia trip every time I hear it and I remember the first time like it was yesterday. No game since has surpassed this as an ending theme since IMO and that's a monumental achievement in my eyes when you think of the hardware Yuzo Koshiro was producing it for. I have many great gaming memories but the Streets of rage games* and their music are definitely in the top 3.

*SOR 1 and 2 anyway, I try to forget about the third one :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Advertisement