Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Studying in Scotland?

• 20-10-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

looking into studying in scotland next year so just after for some info from anyone who's studying or has studied abroad in scotland?
    if you know anything about how saas application works etc any info would be brilliant!! or how scotland is to live in? etc
    thanks!
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

SAAS doesn't apply to non-UK residents (if you haven't been in the UK for at least 3 years you are not entitled to it).

However, colleges and Universities student links may be able to help you out. :)

And if you study nursing in Scotland, it's free!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 another new one

!!! wrote: »
    SAAS doesn't apply to non-UK residents (if you haven't been in the UK for at least 3 years you are not entitled to it).

However, colleges and Universities student links may be able to help you out. :)

And if you study nursing in Scotland, it's free!

Is that just nursing in general or do you think veterinary nursing is included in the free fees scheme?
    I've no idea who I even apply to for free fees! :/ would you know yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

!!! wrote: »

I think you've got it mixed up. I'm from Dublin and applied to SAAS for my fees and got accepted, so have some of my friends from other parts of Europe. Its not that studying in Scotland is simply free, its that SAAS pay for our fees, but you need to apply to them. The rules are if you are from an EU country you can apply to have your fees paid. Its only people from England who are ineligible for their fees to be covered.

What you may be thinking of is the loans system to cover things like your accommodation and food, and you're right that we aren't able to apply for a UK maintenance loan, however that has nothing to do with fees.

Also, if you check out the www.saas.gov.uk website you will see that from next year, we may be able to apply for a small maintenance loan as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to NI & GB Colleges

Nymeria is spot on, SAAS fee awards are extended to Irish students.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

I'm currently studying in Edinburgh at the moment, had no problem applying to SAAS and receiving my fees. You can apply as soon as you submit your UCAS application, try and get it done asap because the the uk students get their results a major backlog occurs in saas.

Great thing about Scotland is that you don't have to pay registration fees either, you save a small fortune!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 another new one

Battleflag wrote: »
    I'm currently studying in Edinburgh at the moment, had no problem applying to SAAS and receiving my fees. You can apply as soon as you submit your UCAS application, try and get it done asap because the the uk students get their results a major backlog occurs in saas.

Great thing about Scotland is that you don't have to pay registration fees either, you save a small fortune!

thanks so much for your post like!
    out of interest...when was it round you applied?
    ive got to get started on my ucas application this week when I've a second off work you know? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

I applied in late January after the deadline (had a deferred offer from DCU so never even thought of Scotland). A few universities got back to me after a month stating they couldn't review my application as it was after the deadline and they got a lot of submissions. Though I did get offers for Aberdeen and Napier Edinburgh University.

Picked Edinburgh and I'm having an awesome time, it's a great place to study and plenty of Irish here.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Med101007

Be careful if you are applying to SAAS to pay your tuition fees. They WILL NOT pay your fees if you are entering the third year of an honours/masters degree in Scotland, IF you received EU public funds while studying for an ordinary degree in Ireland i.e the VEC grant or back to education allowance. This rule was only brought in in August 2011, and I know a few lads who went over to study in Scotland last year, and they ended up having to pay the fees, around 2200 euro. However, SAAS will pay your fees for fourth and fifth year. If on the other hand you didnt get any grant assistance to study in Ireland, SAAS wiil pay your fees for every year you study in Scotland. Basically the rule is: Got the grant at home = have to pay your own fees for third year, SAAS will pay for fourth and fifth year,, Got no grant at home = SAAS will pay all your fees. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

Hey guys, I'm doing a HNC in Scotland at the minute, paying my own way for it. I'm planning on doing another degree course here next year.

I did three years of an honours degree at home, would I still be entitled to anything from the SAAS or will I get nothing? In other words, is that 'public funding from an EU state' referring to the free fees programme, or is it just grants and stuff like that, because I never claiimed those at home.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mossie17

Does anyone know if they'll pay your fees if you've just done a Level 5/6 one year course?

I know they say they won't if you've received help for a degree but I'm not too sure what they qualify as "help for a degree"

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Mossie17 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they'll pay your fees if you've just done a Level 5/6 one year course?

I know they say they won't if you've received help for a degree but I'm not too sure what they qualify as "help for a degree"

Thanks

As far as I know, as long as you haven't done a Level 8 degree then you should be eligible. You could try emailing them to confirm, the website is www.saas.gov.uk, there should be a contact email on there.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mossie17

Nice one thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pbyrne1

Hi , both my daughters are considering Scotland next year for University , has the SAAS changed to allow for the fees and a cost of living loan for EU students ? Thanks

Advertisement