Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Grinds

Options
  • 20-10-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

Im looking to start Irish Grinds in Galway city centre as soon as possible.

I am a basic Irish speaker and I am hoping to apply for the Post Graduate course in Primary Teaching in April.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations/numbers of Irish tutors?

Thanks,

Aideen:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Just invite a gaeltacht-bred man into your life, you'll be ag spaisteoireacht leat in no time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I'd go more on reputaton, some of the best grinds teachers won't advertise in a paper. I did grinds for years but no more and never advertised as had enough business. Hope you find somewhere, VEC runs courses, as do Conradh na G. Most important thing to check is the tutor has corrected exams and is an oral examiner in my opinion, helps with their knowledge. Go n-éirí leat!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

There's a few of us meeting up in the Asian Lounge for a games night on Thursday (from 8pmish onwards) with conversation trí Ghaeilge. Cártaí, ficheall, scrabble, gó [sic] srl.
    There won't be any tutors there, but if you're looking for a way to practice the cúpla focal, it's not a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 amarno

Ficheall wrote: »
    There's a few of us meeting up in the Asian Lounge for a games night on Thursday (from 8pmish onwards) with conversation trí Ghaeilge. Cártaí, ficheall, scrabble, gó [sic] srl.
    There won't be any tutors there, but if you're looking for a way to practice the cúpla focal, it's not a bad one.

Hi, thanks for the invite. Would everybody there be fluent in Irish? I studied Irish for my leaving cert but I have done nothing in years. It's just to get the vocabulary back as quick as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

There'll be some fairly fluent, some with only a smattering. Probably some with none at all who might grunt their way through the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 caoimhe82

Hi there, I am a substitute Irish teacher in the Galway city area and would be happy to give you grinds. I have worked in many schools over the past year of getting my degree and have excellent notes/essays/grammer,etc.

caoimhe82 wrote: »
    Hi there, I am a substitute Irish teacher in the Galway city area and would be happy to give you grinds. I have worked in many schools over the past year of getting my degree and have excellent notes/essays/grammer,etc.

Hi Caoimhe,

Just wondering how much do you charge per hour ? It would be mainly oral work and maybe a recap of grammar as I haven't studied Irish in 5 years ?

Thanks,

Aideen

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sile Ni Fhoughlu

Hiya aideen,
    I am a fluent Irish speaker from the Aran Islands and have a masters in Irish and am a qualified primary teacher. I did the postgrad with Hibernia in 2009! I would be more than happy to help u out if ur still interested!
    Thanks
    Sile

Hiya aideen,
    I am a fluent Irish speaker from the Aran Islands and have a masters in Irish and am a qualified primary teacher. I did the postgrad with Hibernia in 2009! I would be more than happy to help u out if ur still interested!
    Thanks
    Sile

Hi Sile,

That would be brilliant:) did you find Hibernia good ? I'm hoping to go for it in 2013. How much do you charge for grinds ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 carmel gibbons

caoimhe82 wrote: »

Hi

i am looking for someone for irish grinds for my son who is in leaving cert pass . woudl you be able to help out ? i live near galway city

carmel

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

hey,my girlfriend is a primary school teacher with a degree in irish and can be available during weekends,she is dublin based but is in galway every weekend,she will be able to give help in other aspects of your training too.if your interested pm me and i will pass her number onto you.
    thanks

Advertisement