Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double yellows at the new courts

Options
  • 20-10-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

So I was walking through the Phoenix Park yesterday and I noticed that at the far entrance, the one beside the new courts, there were about 7 or 8 cars parked just inside the park gates. They were parked in a bicycle lane, which also had double yellows inside it! And to make it worse, two of the cars were Gardaí cars!! Is there something I am missing here? Please tell me that somebody knows the place I'm talking about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

While on duty, Gardai are exempt from prosecution on almost all road traffic regulations.

What was your question?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lukebray wrote: »
    So I was walking through the Phoenix Park yesterday and I noticed that at the far entrance, the one beside the new courts, there were about 7 or 8 cars parked just inside the park gates. They were parked in a bicycle lane, which also had double yellows inside it! And to make it worse, two of the cars were Gardaí cars!! Is there something I am missing here? Please tell me that somebody knows the place I'm talking about?

Most likey Garda cars transporting/collecting criminals from the courts.
    they are exempt from parking bye laws while on duty.

Yes it would of been great if they built a massive undergraound car park so they can park on site but dont think the funds were available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

kceire wrote: »
    Most likey Garda cars transporting/collecting criminals from the courts.
    they are exempt from parking bye laws while on duty.

Yes it would of been great if they built a massive undergraound car park so they can park on site but dont think the funds were available.

I thought they did build a big underground beneath it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

While on duty, Gardai are exempt from prosecution on almost all road traffic regulations.

What was your question?

So its only us who park in a dangerous place when parked on doubles.
    Garda cars are exempt from causing a danger.

Typical Irish solution. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

So its only us who park in a dangerous place when parked on doubles.
    Garda cars are exempt from causing a danger.

Typical Irish solution. :-)
    Don't shoot the messenger!

• Advertisement

mmcn90 wrote: »
    I thought they did build a big underground beneath it.

Not big enough to handle the volume of traffic in and out of it everyday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

kceire wrote: »
    Not big enough to handle the volume of traffic in and out of it everyday though.
    That's not really the issue tbh. There are holding cells down there and the area has high traffic in and out of prisoner transport, which requires higher than usual security. It's not really convenient or practical to have public traffic going in and out at the same time.

I'm not sure what level of public parking was considered at the time, but realistically there was nowhere they could build a big public carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

What was your question?

Sorry, my question was why are all these cars allowed park on double yellows? It wasn't just Gardaí cars, there were regular cars although they could have been unmarked Gardaí cars. If it had of been just Garaí cars there I would have been less curious but the fact that there were what looked like civilian cars just made me wonder if the double yellows were just there for show or something :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Yellow lines inside the Phoenix Park mean sweet FA. The park is controlled by OPW who are not a road authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

trad wrote: »
    Yellow lines inside the Phoenix Park mean sweet FA. The park is controlled by OPW who are not a road authority.

The Guards could probably ticket you for it though (not sure on this)

• Advertisement

That's not really the issue tbh. There are holding cells down there and the area has high traffic in and out of prisoner transport, which requires higher than usual security. It's not really convenient or practical to have public traffic going in and out at the same time.

I'm not sure what level of public parking was considered at the time, but realistically there was nowhere they could build a big public carpark.

I couldnt give a sh1t about public traffic, i was on about Gardai Cars/vans etc
    I was explaining to the OP that the reason so many gardai cars are parked aroud the place was because of the lack of free flowing system in place for the gardai cars at the courts ;)
    Lukebray wrote: »
    Sorry, my question was why are all these cars allowed park on double yellows? It wasn't just Gardaí cars, there were regular cars although they could have been unmarked Gardaí cars. If it had of been just Garaí cars there I would have been less curious but the fact that there were what looked like civilian cars just made me wonder if the double yellows were just there for show or something :P

Most likely unmarked cars.

Advertisement