Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Mole(Mexican meets Asian)

Options
  • 20-10-2012 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

You'll have to pardon my voice in the vid, I got me a nose cold - which is why I decided on a mole dish. There are a LOT of variations on this dish. SO much so, that I am going to say it again - a lot. This video is one of three variations I do myself. I never measure unless I am baking, so my measurements are almost always 'to taste':

Colorado sauce, or enchilada sauce as a base

Mole, which comes in all forms and shapes, so it's difficult to tell you exactly how much. I add 1 part Mole paste to 10 parts chile sauce. Some do 1:1! I only do that if I am going to use it as a gravy over chicken. When I do it this way, I add a lot of dark chocolate to it.

Peanut butter - usually 2 heaping spoon fulls for a meal for 2-3.

Sesame seeds. It's a must, really. Add them on top later. I also add it to the simmering.

Chocolate of your choice, or Teriyake sauce if ya wanna go all asian, or plain sugar to tame the mole and chile, especially if you go a bit far

I like to add a chipotle pepper if I can(heavily roasted jalapeno on the grill)

As much garlic as you like, and a light amoutn of cumin(1/2 tea spoon or so).
    I do not add cumin if I use Teriyake.

Fresh cilantro/coriander sprinkled onto the sauce over the seeds if you like. And, I do. But this is relatively rare in Mexico, I find. Usually they add it to the mix or not at all.

Simmer it and add water to taste and consistency

Sear the chicken beforehand with onions and garlic if you want to make it into a dish and add the sauce to the chicken for simmering. This also works well to use for a gravy. I save the extra sauce after a meal and use it for taco or burrito garnish the next day. I go heavy on the oil when searing the chicken so it gets added to the sauce later on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Reindeer wrote: »
    I like to add a chipotle pepper if I can(heavily roasted jalapeno on the grill)
    I haven't had a chance to try the recipe yet, but I've a question on the chipotle.
    I'm having a bit of trouble finding chipotles. I know they are smoked/dried jalapenos, but never thought I could dry them at home. Is that what you are saying by roasted on the grill. Do they go dark and shrivled like regular chipotles. I've never got my hands on them, but know what they look like. I've never tasted one on its own, only in dishes so can't really test it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I make them in a very lazy way. Say we are going to have BBQ that night. I have a propane powered two part grill top here in Washington(which I sorely miss whilst in Ireland). They go for about $150 new here in the States. I put the jalapenos, tops removed, ripened as much as possible, on one side. The other side I put on low. The Jalapenos are not actually on the fire directly. I then add apple wood here and there for the smoke. I do this for maybe 4-6 hours or so, turning the propane off when the wood is going well. It gets me about 1/4 the way to being a chipotle. But once mixed in sauces, they taste pretty good. A 'real' chipotle should be smoked for up to 2 days.

While not a real chipotle by Mexican standards, they do taste very nice. I use whole pieces in simmered sauces, or mince them into a rub for meat. I particularly like them finely minced on chicken, with paprika, garlic, onions, and salt for an overnight marinade. In a plastic container, I can store them for about 2 weeks before I am sick of em. In any case, it is a great way to tame the bite of a jalapeno and make it taste nice and smokey without having to set it in the smoker for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Mellor wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to try the recipe yet, but I've a question on the chipotle.
    I'm having a bit of trouble finding chipotles. I know they are smoked/dried jalapenos, but never thought I could dry them at home.

chipotle is very expensive here. in mexican cooking its usually "chipotle in adobo" thats used. you can buy this here relatively cheaply in tins, google it for where you can buy it.

chipotle is very expensive here. in mexican cooking its usually "chipotle in adobo" thats used. you can buy this here relatively cheaply in tins, google it for where you can buy it.

Where in Ireland can I get these tins? I'll be back in Ireland next month. Any suggestions where to get Mexican ingredients is much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Where in Ireland can I get these tins? I'll be back in Ireland next month. Any suggestions where to get Mexican ingredients is much appreciated.

What part of Ireland will you be in? I know a good few places in Dublin but not much use to you if you'll be elsewhere :)

• Advertisement

What part of Ireland will you be in? I know a good few places in Dublin but not much use to you if you'll be elsewhere :)

I just realized how silly my question was. Sorry. I'll be in Tipperary to start, and eventually I think we are planning a move to Wicklow, perhaps Enniskerry area afterwards. I don't suppose Tesco have any thing other than those Old EL Paso Kits. I'll probably bring a big bottle of taco mix just to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I just realized how silly my question was. Sorry. I'll be in Tipperary to start, and eventually I think we are planning a move to Wicklow, perhaps Enniskerry area afterwards. I don't suppose Tesco have any thing other than those Old EL Paso Kits. I'll probably bring a big bottle of taco mix just to be safe.

Tesco can be a bit wretched alright but if your local one has an 'Ingredients' range (sort of Tesco own brand, fancy pants gourmet stuff) I've gotten dried chipotle & ancho chilis there. If you do find yourself passing through Dublin for any reason you'll get a selection of Mexican ingredients in

Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer St
    Azteca on Lord Edward St
    [Mexican Place that recently changed its name & I'm stumped for what it is now] in the Epicurean Food Hall on Middle Abbey Street
    And finally, my new happy spot, the Turkish grocer on Liffey Street, I think it's called Alit, has tomatillos (tinned), chipotles, nice selection of dried chilis and its the only place in Dublin I've come across that sells Masa for 3.50 instead of 11ish euros like it was ground up gold.

You can also get stuff delivered to you from

http://www.mymexicanshop.ie/

Advertisement