Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zanzibar/bondi beach nightclub

Options
  • 20-10-2012 1:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there are any plans to reopen bondi beach (formally Zanzibar) nightclub in Dublin city centre ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Jumboman wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any plans to reopen bondi beach (formally Zanzibar) nightclub in Dublin city centre ?

Not that I know of, it's an awful location imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Not that I know of, it's an awful location imo.

Do you mean the building itself is awful, or the actual physical location of the place?

If the latter, then I respectfully disagree with you, from experience of a mis-spent 20s, that place was always packed and had queues outside from Thursday to Sunday, and at the bars you'd be 4 deep. You were 12 then though :)

It's not the location that's an issue, if a place is good enough, people will go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Des wrote: »

Do you mean the building itself is awful, or the actual physical location of the place?

If the latter, then I respectfully disagree with you, from experience of a mis-spent 20s, that place was always packed and had queues outside from Thursday to Sunday, and at the bars you'd be 4 deep. You were 12 then though :)

It's not the location that's an issue, if a place is good enough, people will go there.

Yes i agree with this. I think its in a good location for a bar/club. Its over the bridge from temple bar and that stretch of the north quays has loads of feeder places, batchelors inn, knightsbridge, panama, grand social, morrison, sin e, fibbers rock bar, koh etc. Would be great to see someone reopen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Loved it when it was Zanzibar. The barbecues in the summer were good fun with the big tv screens outside for sports.

I dont know, it always felt a bit far away from everything else. It didn't help that the place was a kip imo (as bondi, I was only in Zanzibar once).

• Advertisement

I dont know, it always felt a bit far away from everything else. It didn't help that the place was a kip imo (as bondi, I was only in Zanzibar once).

"Everywhere else" being what?

Leeson Street? Camden Street?

Sometimes that's not a bad thing.

It's close to Grand Social, The Church, Gin Palace, TP Smiths, The Woolshed, Knightsbridge, the Halfpenny Bridge Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

It's close to Grand Social, The Church, Gin Palace, TP Smiths, The Woolshed, Knightsbridge, the Halfpenny Bridge Inn.

exactly Des.

Loads of places around the North Quays. its a perfect spot for a nightclub.

Add to those, the pint, grand central, the Abbey, the Oval, the Lotts, Fibbers rock bar on the quays, Sin E, panama etc etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Zanzibar/bondi beach was one of the best nightclubs in Dublin that had an atmosphere that was not like anywhere else.

Different strokes I suppose, I'd be more of a Harcourt Street kinda person if I'm on a night out. The type of crowd that would go to Bondi would be the same. I know if I'm on a night out, Im not gonna go somewhere far away fromother places I like, because if the first place is rubbish, its a trek to go elsewhere. Zanzibar would be a different story I suppose.

I'd be more of a Harcourt Street kinda person .

I can tell by your avatar :P;)

• Advertisement

Here now!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

and he probaly drinks heino :pac::pac:

(joking)

and he probaly drinks heino :pac::pac:

(joking)

Banned

:p:p Kidding, I'm more of a vodka man ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I was only at it when it was Bondi. Twas a bit rough at times, and the bouncers were absolute arséholes.
    I enjoyed it most of the times I went there, but I don't miss it tbh.

Bouncers were also **** when it was Zanz, really inconsistent, it was a lottery as whether you'd get in or not.

I used to hope to not get in, because Pravda was always more to my tastes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

I always find this attitude in Dublin so bizarre. It's not like it's a big city but a lot of people tend to feel this way. Bars and clubs that are barely steps off the beaten track can suffer cause people won't walk 5 mins out of their way.

kinsy wrote: »
    I always find this attitude in Dublin so bizarre. It's not like it's a big city but a lot of people tend to feel this way. Bars and clubs that are barely steps off the beaten track can suffer cause people won't walk 5 mins out of their way.

I don't mind the walk myself, but try saying that to a group of women with large heels on, after a few drinks. I don't mind going off the beaten track per se, but if the group I'm with are refused, or aren't having a good time, it is quite a long walk to go somewhere else we like.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

ha, you need to find some wimmin who prefer a smaller heel so!

Advertisement