Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pick pockets

• 20-10-2012 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

I work in a supermarket and in the last 2 days we have had 2 elderly ladie's purses robbed from their coat pockets.

Are you conscious of your safety while out shopping or do you expect to feel safe while buying a few groceries?

I myself never carry cash on me, just in case.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I always feel safe when out shopping. Never really thought about pickpockets to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A little bit of paranoia is healthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I don't ever carry cash. I don't even have a wallet, just a card and its jammed into my pocket next to my penis so I'm sure nobody will get to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

About 20 years ago I collected I£3.5k from the EBS in the old Dundrum shopping centre and put it in my righthand pocket. Then went to the Chemist shop further up and got in queue. Was reading the paper when I felt a little movement on my thigh. I slapped my hand to my pocket and spun around. This female about 6' froze like a Michael Jackson still and eyeballed me as bold as brass. I had one of those brick mobiles and started dialling the cops. She legged it ...... I shouted to a security guard that she was a dipper ....... he said "Yeah, she was upstairs earlier". I couldn't believe it. Luckily my wad was in tact (it was wages for eight guys) ....... but it could have been so much different. Don't know if she saw me withdrawing in the bank or just saw my pocket a little ajar. Lesson learned.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

It's not at the forefront of my mind, but I'd always keep my wallet in my front pocket rather than my back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

FearDark wrote: »
    I don't ever carry cash. I don't even have a wallet, just a card and its jammed into my pocket next to my penis so I'm sure nobody will get to it.

Conversely, I tend to only carry the money I need at the time with a little extra just-in-case money. And violently grope at the crotches of complete strangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Always remember my dad telling me as a child, to be wary of people getting too close to you. Thats how pick pockets get you. very wise words.

Never been dipped myself *touch wood* but it sadly happens alot. Didnt the luas have an ad campaign about it? ... I imagine the Luas at rush hour is a haven for pick-pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I remember yrs ago I was walking home from school and I was taking a short cut. I heard a weird noise like a scream from behind a wall. I looked over the wall and saw two young knackers robbing an old lady of her handbag.she was holding on to it for dear life. Being the good Samaritan that I am I decided that this wasn't on and that I should step in and help.

We got about €80 between the three of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I was at the races years ago when an old, well dressed guy shouted "I've been robbed by pickpockets".
    I knew this was a ruse pickpockets use. You are then supposed to reach for your pocket to check if your cash is still there. His mates are watching peoples' reactions. You are followed and targeted.
    My reply to the old guy was "go to racecourse security". He did nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I keep my cash in the same front pocket always, so honestly, when it's not there it feels weird.

I've never been pickpocketed, but... About two years ago, I was in a taxi on the Quays, just passing the crossing at that textile/thread place on the end of Liffey Street. We slowed down in traffic and I could see, plain as you like in broad daylight, a little douchebag in a tracksuit reach into a tourists big handbag and pull out her purse. By the time I realised what I was after seeing, the taxi pulled off again. I got out as soon as we could pull over, but I'd lost sight of both of them. Frustrating. I wonder how far she got before she realised it was gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement