Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI slots not recognised.. Help!

Options
  • 20-10-2012 6:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Following on from this thread (http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056739814?page=1), I RMA'd the motherboard and after carefully reassembling the PC tonight, performing a reinstall of Win7 64x, I'm getting the exact same problem.. The wireless and graphics cards aren't being recognised in Windows, even after trying to install from the driver CD. Under system browser in the AsRock BIOS it shows PCI slots 1-4 as being empty (wireless is in slot 2, 8x while the graphics card is in slot 3, 16x)

I tried googling the problem an saw one or two people with the same problem, but found no obvious way of fixing it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? It's driving me up the wall! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Remove the wireless card and see if you can install the video driver by...

-download the latest driver from the video card site

-go to device manager in Control panel -> Hardware & sound -> Device manager and find the network adapter with the yellow exclamation point on it (provided you have windows set up to not automatically download drivers for new hardware)

-right click and either click update driver software, or go to properties -> driver tab -> Update drivers

-choose to install your own driver, not automatically download one from the internet with windows

-point right to the extracted video card driver

-install

Also......

first... did you go into the Advanced settings of the BIOS settings and make sure the default Primary video adapter was set to PCIe? Make sure you have the card in when you do it.

To clear CMOS, see this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00910076&dlc=en

Also check that the powersupply cable for the PCI slots is plugged into the MoBo, usually a square 4 pin plug.

Make sure the power is working through that cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Thanks for the reply, I'll try those later
    FYI, there's no device with a (!) under network adaptors, just the Realtek Ethernet one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You have the power cables connected to the graphics card, yeah?

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    You have the power cables connected to the graphics card, yeah?

Yeah I've got the 6xpin connector plugged in.

Aussie, I'll try that stuff now.

I checked all the cards were seated correctly, removed and put back the CMOS battery to reset it and still nothing.

I can't access the website to download the drivers from the manufacturers website, it's not even showing any wireless cards or graphics cards (with or without an exclamation mark) under the devices manager.

Ugh.

Also, I tried changing the pc to run From the graphics card in the PcI-E slot as opposed to on board and I can't see anything now.

Will try updating the BiOs now and at the weekend try the wireless card in a different PC. What's the chances 2 different mono or both the GPU and wireless card are faulty?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Do you have a motherboard speaker attached? I hope I don't come across as arrogant here, but is the graphics card is fully in the slot? (i.e. you can't see any golden pins)

N64 wrote: »
    Do you have a motherboard speaker attached? I hope I don't come across as arrogant here, but is the graphics card is fully in the slot? (i.e. you can't see any golden pins)

Not that I know of. It's fully in yeah.

Tried rebooting it there after moving it downstairs, won't even boot ( power supply lights up and then turns off again)

Tempted to just throw it into a PC repair shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Yeah, it can be really frustrating when you get a DOA product (trust me, I know :o)

Do you have a multimeter?

Nope, none unfortunately!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Can you post some pictures of the assembled PC inside the case?

Shipped the sorry excuse for a PC back to a PC repair shop :p
    Need it for college work so kinda sick of mucking about with it.

Will report back when it's fixed and they know what was causing the problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier as I had this exact problem a few weeks back with my new build. It took a while to sort out.

In the end, I fixed it with two things. First, update the ASRock bios. This was first and foremost. The updates provided on the site allow for better PCIe compatibility in general.

If after this the bios is still not finding anything, test with some other PCIe that you are 100% sure works.

After I updated the bios I was able to see my devices there, however installing drivers for it would cause it to crap out.
    Got this resolved by updating Win7 to service pack one. This would not happen automatically for some reason. Some research I did said it was due to the gfx drives..?? :pac:

Anyway, a manual download of Win7SP1 updated the system and allowed me to install the drives I needed fine. Problem solved for me at least.

Advertisement