Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin with a 5w handie....

Options
  • 20-10-2012 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

I'll be in Dublin next weekend.

Any point in bringing my handie and sticking ie/ on the front of my call sign?

Any chance I'll hit the repeaters from Kilmainham?

I KNOW the real answer (in the experimental spirit of Amateur Radio) is try it and see, but still!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've chatted to people in Wales via Dublin repeater more than to Dubliners.

Plenty of places in Dublin get the repeater on a few watts, or used to. A few years since I was there. Getting the tone burst right to open it used to be awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

deader Than a dead thing left to decompose in a bucket for a MONTH!!

I was able to trip the repeater, but heard no one. ANYWHERE on 2m.

MAAAAN it was quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Ah well, everywhere is different.

up here, CB radio and 10m FM is VERY quiet.

in fact the reason I cashed in my Ham exam pass slip after 28 years (really!) rather than going all freebandy like I was in my youth was I listened on a CB set for a few days.

that set is now on ebay!!

round here theres a very active 2m community, esp round the GB3NI repeater. Always seems to be someone around.

a lot of the guys were away from 2m this last week or so because the 10m prop was so good, but I got an ICOM CB that had been converted to 10m FM and there was no-one local at all.....

Ah well, never mind. Once the wind dies down a bit I have a G5RV jr to get rigged around the garden to open up a few more bands.

Advertisement