Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPV - Positive result for high risk HPV?

Options
  • 20-10-2012 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 12 Automated Response

Hi all,

Bit of a situation that I could use some help with. Basically, my girlfriend recently went for a pap smear test. The results were abnormal so she had to go for another test (some kind of swab test). She was told that the test returned a positive result for "High Risk HPV". Now she has to go back again for another test.

We were both pretty ignorant about what it was up until we found out but we have done lots of research since.. It's still a confusing issue and I would appreciate some clarification from anyone who may be able to help.

1. "High risk HPV" - Am I right in thinking that this means that she probably has a strain of HPV that can lead to cervical cancer?

2. Being "High Risk", how often does this strain actually lead to cervical cancer?

3. I think the next test is a coloscopy (sp?). What happens here and what results will it give?

4. If she does indeed have HPV, what are the next steps? I read about the immune system taking care of the problem within 1-2 years in the majority of cases. Does this mean that nothing can be done until we see if the immune system takes care of the issue or not.

5. I also read that when the immune system deals with HPV, it remains dormant in your system. Can it flare up again, leading to cervical cancer?

6. As a man, I read that it doesn't really effect me for the most part. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help clear these things up. We are just a little confused and worried about the whole thing...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AFAIK, HPV is spread through sexual contact, so it's everyone's concern.

I hope your girlfriend gets the all clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It does effect you. You should take the necessary precautions when with your partner. More than likely you both have it and you should also get checked out.
    I wouldn't get caught up on the cancer that would only be in a tiny minority of cases, not something to worry about. You both should be ok.

Hi all,

Bit of a situation that I could use some help with. Basically, my girlfriend recently went for a pap smear test. The results were abnormal so she had to go for another test (some kind of swab test). She was told that the test returned a positive result for "High Risk HPV". Now she has to go back again for another test.

We were both pretty ignorant about what it was up until we found out but we have done lots of research since.. It's still a confusing issue and I would appreciate some clarification from anyone who may be able to help.

1. "High risk HPV" - Am I right in thinking that this means that she probably has a strain of HPV that can lead to cervical cancer?

Yes, but in most cases it doesn't and the doctors would monitor the cell changes and remove them if it looked like they were going to get worse.
    2. Being "High Risk", how often does this strain actually lead to cervical cancer?

I don't think anyone really knows that. It depends on the person. I know many people who have had low grade changes (CIN1) for years and never had anything more serious develop.
    3. I think the next test is a coloscopy (sp?). What happens here and what results will it give?

It's just like a smear, except they'll magnify the area (you can see your cervix on a screen) and put a brown liquid on her cervix to see where the cell changes are. Affected areas will turn white. They may also take a smear or a biopsy, depending on what they see. Neither one is anything to worry about and the whole thing is over in a few minutes.
    4. If she does indeed have HPV, what are the next steps? I read about the immune system taking care of the problem within 1-2 years in the majority of cases. Does this mean that nothing can be done until we see if the immune system takes care of the issue or not.

Basically, yes and even if it doesn't, there's still not a lot you can do. I've been testing positive for HPV for over 6 years now. They don't know why my immune system hasn't cleared it, but given that most of my aunts and cousins have the same thing, there seems to be a genetic component. Not smoking is very important and she should eat well and get exercise to improve her immune system. Otherwise, you have to wait and see.
    5. I also read that when the immune system deals with HPV, it remains dormant in your system. Can it flare up again, leading to cervical cancer?

Yes, but she should get regular smears which should catch anything that isn't right.
    6. As a man, I read that it doesn't really effect me for the most part. Is there anything I can do?

I don't think they know too much about how it affects men but men definitely carry it and can give it to their partners. There's not a lot you can do, no.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help clear these things up. We are just a little confused and worried about the whole thing...

Normal to be worried, but this stuff is very common. FYI, about 80% of people have or will get HPV in their lifetime. If you have sex, you're pretty much guaranteed to get it at one time or another, unless you only sleep with virgins. There's really nothing you can do to prevent it if you've ever had penetrative sex, so don't worry. In most cases, it goes away on its own and when it doesn't, treatment for dysplasia (which means changes in the cells of the cervix - what your GF probably has) is generally very successful.
    It does effect you. You should take the necessary precautions when with your partner. More than likely you both have it and you should also get checked out.
    I wouldn't get caught up on the cancer that would only be in a tiny minority of cases, not something to worry about. You both should be ok.

What precautions would they be? HPV is passed on through skin contact, so condoms do little to nothing to help. AFAIK, there's no HPV test for men. Sorry if I sound snappy, but HPV is not like chlamydia, a preventable STD you can easily prevent with condom use and cure with antibiotics. HPV is pretty much a fact of life for anyone who's sexually active, no matter how careful or choosy. Most doctors I've encountered don't even consider it an STD as such, because pretty much everyone has/had it. OP probably does have it, but there's really not a lot you can do about it.

Boosting your immune system is key, but some people (like myself) seem genetically prone to holding on to the virus for one reason or another.

Advertisement