Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tinnitus sounds

• 20-10-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello All.

I am 27 years old and have recently (as in the last year or so) been having the symptoms of tinnitus. It started in one ear as a seashell like sound. It usually lasts about 3-5 minutes or longer - probably up to 20 minutes and then goes and may come back in an hour or so.

Very recently (as in the last 2 months or so) I have been having the symptoms of tinnitus in the other ear too. But it sounds like a very low pitched buzzing. (Like there is a swarm of bees around me). The strange thing is that it is very un-noticable when I am in a very quiet room but it is moreso noticable when there is certain types of loud sounds about.

Both tinnitus sounds are not very loud at all and do not massively impact on my life. However, the buzzing sound is constant - albeit constantly low - and the fact I can still hear it drives me a little crazy.

I am wondering why I have got tinnitus as I don't generally expose myself to loud noises at all - in fact I'm a quiet life type of person.
    I did used to listen to music (that may have been a tad loud) everyday going to and coming home from college. But that was about 2 or 3 years ago and after I finished college, I didn't have tinnitus immediately.

Has anyone got a similar case to mine? and if so, is there anything that can be done? Also, what is the likelyhood the volume of tinnitus sound increases as time goes by?

Cheers

Danx2012

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Hi. I get that low buzzing sound too, usually when I'm in bed and there's silence around me. Like you, I was never really exposed to loud noise over a long period either. I read somewhere that some people can hear extremely low vibrations (kinda the opposite of people being able to hear "dog" hearing, ie very high pitched sounds) and that low vibrations can carry for 10 miles. Is there a mobile phone mast being ran by a generator near you? Or air conditioning / fridge equipment anywhere within 10 miles? BTW I can hear high pitched sounds other people cant. Can you? Its all related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 danx2012

hi. cheers for the reply. I have no equipment like that around me. I am soon to be having an audiology test and an mri of my ear done. But according to the ENT I was speaking to, he doesn't expect there to be anything abnormal found.

My tinnitus is strange because I am sitting at my laptop now while watching the tv and my hearing is grand - there is no buzzing or seashell like sounds. They generally come and go.

It is strange because the definition for tinnitus is basically hearing sound in the absence of actual sound. However, if I plug my ear(s) with my finger, ALL sound is gone and the ringing or buzzing is no longer there. (Which is consistent with why the buzzing is practically not there when I am lying down to go asleep at night and everything is really quiet).

So I'm thinking that if I plug my ear(s) and all sound goes, then sound must aggravate something in my ear which is then creating an extra sound. What ya think?

what i also noticed aswell is that if I plug my right ear with my finger, ALL sound is gone.
    if I plug my left ear with my finger, All sound is gone but I can hear the normal sound of blood flow through the ear.

Advertisement