Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer accepted, but discovered asbestos in garage roof

Options
  • 20-10-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have had an offer on a house accepted and I've paid the deposit.

Building report shows that lean to roof is made up of asbestos sheeting (did suspect this). This is leaking and there maybe rot and the woodworm in the house. I have been advised to get a timber survey done. This will be done next week.

I did have an idea to take the roof down and put an extension to the side (subject to planning permission). I have been advised that to remove the asbestos would cost up to €2000. It's also on the boiler house roof.

The report advises to rewire the whole house and replace the windows. This is not surprising. Was planning to replace the windows anyway.

The water tank in the attic is sitting on the joists over the wall between two of the bedrooms. As such, there has been slight movement in it. I'd have to raise the tank but this is a small problem. The issue would be the wall.

With the problems with the garage, possible timber issues and wall upstairs, I am going to renegotiate the price.

I'll have the full report next Tuesday/Wednesday which I'll pass to my solicitors.

What sort of reduction on the price should I be going for? As a first time buyer, I would be trying to complete the sale before end of year.

Thanks

Micar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

None.

You inspect the house before the offer. The survey is an extra check to verify concerns or point out other details unnoticed. It doesn't mean you will be able to change your offer.

In saying that it can be used to renegotiate but it isn't by any means a requirement from the vendor.

Asbestos roof is incredibly common and not any immediate danger.. Windows would have been obvious. Tank issue description sounds odd to me but very easy to address.

You are obviously buying a house that needs work and should have considered that in your offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Business is business.
    Both sides can pull out of the deal until the contract is signed so there is nothing stopping you (only your conscience) from going back to the vendor and saying that there is more work needed than you had originally thought and you are revising your offer downwards.
    Ask for a reduction of £4-5000 and settle for £2000, The vendor won't want to lose a sale over £2000 and have to put the house back on the market at this stage.
    Some posters will tell you that it's bad form to revise your offer but it's a buyers market at the moment and you should use this to your advantage.
    When it was a sellers market the vendors would have had no problem hiking the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

micar wrote: »
    Hi

I have had an offer on a house accepted and I've paid the deposit.

Building report shows that lean to roof is made up of asbestos sheeting (did suspect this). This is leaking and there maybe rot and the woodworm in the house. I have been advised to get a timber survey done. This will be done next week.

I did have an idea to take the roof down and put an extension to the side (subject to planning permission). I have been advised that to remove the asbestos would cost up to €2000. It's also on the boiler house roof.

The report advises to rewire the whole house and replace the windows. This is not surprising. Was planning to replace the windows anyway.

The water tank in the attic is sitting on the joists over the wall between two of the bedrooms. As such, there has been slight movement in it. I'd have to raise the tank but this is a small problem. The issue would be the wall.

With the problems with the garage, possible timber issues and wall upstairs, I am going to renegotiate the price.

I'll have the full report next Tuesday/Wednesday which I'll pass to my solicitors.

What sort of reduction on the price should I be going for? As a first time buyer, I would be trying to complete the sale before end of year.

Thanks

Micar
    At least 25% as its just the start! Walk away believe me just did it this year and regretted not getting more than 20% off!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    At least 25% as its just the start! Walk away believe me just did it this year and regretted not getting more than 20% off!

For 2k problem you expect a 25% discount? Ridiculous

The property is what it is either you make a reasonable offer or you have no place making a bid.

OP if you are buying a house descried be sure you can handle the issues and insure your offer is reasonable or walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have had a structural survey done of a house I went sale agreed on.........he said the roof tiles have asbestos......
    First of all should the EA have told me this before me putting in an offer?
    Secondly should I walk away from this deal....or at the very least ask for a reduction in the price of house?
    Any advice really appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It is not up to the EA to point out issues like that.

I realise that.....but I have a feeling thats why the previous sale fell through....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

gmisk wrote: »
    I realise that.....but I have a feeling thats why the previous sale fell through....
    He still has no obligation to tell you.

Whether you can negotiate a revised selling price would depend on the cost of remedial works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

[QUOTE
    Secondly should I walk away from this deal....or at the very least ask for a reduction in the price of house?[/QUOTE]

From that quote,you already know your options.
    Factor in the cost of the roof work and tell the EA that you're dropping your offer to reflect the added costs, then be prepared to walk if your new offer is rejected.
    There is no sense in overpaying for a house in a falling market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

gmisk wrote: »
    I have had a structural survey done of a house I went sale agreed on.........he said the roof tiles have asbestos......
    That's not necessarily a problem if the roof timbers and the tiles are sound.

• Advertisement

He mentioned some needing replaced....possibly....I am thinking I should consider walking away....as I would only be out the cost of a valuation report and a structural survey.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

As you paid him for his advice, I suggest that you ask him two questions:
    1. If replacing the damaged tiles is a big deal;
    2. How sound the roof might be when that is done.

Asbestos is generally not a problem except when things break. Removal is a problem because it involves breaking things like sheeting or tiles.

I'm with you on the "if in doubt, walk away" policy. Just be sure that there is actually something to doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I would walk away. People are getting hung up on asbestos.
    It needs to be rewired and the windows replaced.
    Are you prepared do spend that kind of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

micar wrote: »
    I've paid the deposit.
    How much of a deposit did you pay, and how much will it cost to fix everything up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Was the deposit nor subject to survey ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

a booking deposit is refundable...

The asbestos roof isnt an issue that needs dealing with until you want to, not going to cause a problem as is.

As for the mention of a 25% reduction, seriously??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    None.

You inspect the house before the offer. The survey is an extra check to verify concerns or point out other details unnoticed. It doesn't mean you will be able to change your offer.

In saying that it can be used to renegotiate but it isn't by any means a requirement from the vendor.

Are you saying that if the engineers survey throws up something drastic that is not immediately apparent to a lay person, that they cannot either pull out of the deal or revise their offer ?
    Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Asbestos roof is incredibly common and not any immediate danger.. Windows would have been obvious. Tank issue description sounds odd to me but very easy to address.

True, asbestos is fine so long as you don't want to get rid of it.
    That's when the fun starts.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement