Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on a Thai Chicken Soup

Options
  • 20-10-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am going to make a Thai Chicken Soup with Coconut Milk - but it lists Oyster Mushrooms as one of the ingredients. My hubby hates all fungi with a vengeance.

What could I use to replace the mushrooms?

The recipe also has chicken (obviously :D), tomatoes, red chili, coconut milk, ginger, fish sauce, lime, juice & coriander.

I don't make enough Thai etc, food to be really familiar what works.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

A sliced red pepper would work well or some bamboo shoots if you can get nice quality tinned ones. Even fresh green bean would probably work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I cook tom yum quite a bit and button mushrooms are good to use instead of oyster. Add them to the dish as per the oyster mushrooms but they remain entirely intact through the cooking process (put them in near the end) and you can literally scoop them out of his portion before ready to serve :)

If you're really adverse to using them mange tout or long green beans works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Would you/he consider tofu, it will act like a mushroom in the dish and absorb all the flavours in the soup.
    Besides that you could leave it out altogether or use any veg you want, frozen peas or similar would be fine and likely to be in your freezer.

I know its not what you are making but Tom Yum soup is my favorite dish in the world, when I was in Thailand a few years back I often had it for breakfast AND lunch, spent a fair bit of time on the toilet let me tell ya:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

OK - I'll go with the red pepper or the bamboo shoots.

Thanks for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

I am a Tom yum soup addict. you are missing an essential ingredient "chilli in oil" its a paste and the best one available is this..........

• Advertisement
Advertisement