Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Badge Help Please?

• 20-10-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭

HI

CAN ANYONE SHED ANY LIGHT ON WHAT THIS BADGE IS ABOUT PLEASE?

nuq7s.jpg

looks like B M A on the top?

THANKS FOR READING THIS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

British Medical Association?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I think medical logos usually have snake & chalice, or snake and staff.

latest BMA badge is like this
    225174.png

older version was
    225175.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The badge looks like the one used by all Dominican schools, colleges etc. Would that be a picture of St. Dominic in the centre of the badge?

Might be totally wrong, and have no idea what school BMA might refer to. Could it be a badge for head girl/boy or some such?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭lenc

thanks guys.

i should have said both my parents were medics,my father a doctor and my mother a nurse.

i was confused though by the missing logo. could the head in the pic be hippocrates? usually depicted as a bearded older man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

May be a Medical association, but not British. There is a badge for the Chinese Medical Association and one for the Canada Medical Association, so try either a different country or a different medical science. Sorry this isn't really much help.

• Advertisement

hi
    i've been on to the british medical assoc and its not theirs.
    i wonder is there a religious group it may belong to?if so would be catholic

mid to late 20th cent i would guess.

would be irish,either north or south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Most medical bodies would incorporate the rod of Asclepius, so I would be inclined to dismiss the British Medical Association link.

The badge looks as if made in a small production run, as the enamelling work is intricate but not very high quality. It appears to have been hand finished, judging from the file marks on the metal.

The shield design and colouring certainly suggest a link to the Dominicans as suggested by lottpaul above. See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Seal_of_the_Dominican_Order.png

It would be worth contacting them.

It would be worth contacting them.

you were right guys and thank you!

seemingly the head is st martin de porres.they suggested it was dated prior to 1962 in reference to the B and M ie blessed martin.he was canonized in 1962 and so was known as saint after that.

still dont know what the A was but looks like a definite answer to this query:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭laros

Could the "A" stand for association as in Blessed Martin Association...?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Blessed Martin Apostolate, or nowadays, the St. Martin Apostolate.

• Advertisement

yep thats got it i'd say!

be dropping in there this week DV.

thanks again guys.wold never have thought of this myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Patron Saint of Barbers :)

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=306

I'm delighted you found out what it is. It was driving me mad :o

thanks everyone!

i enclose a small newspaper article about this.

seems the trip was arranged by father louis coffey [a dominican father] with help from his brother albert coffey a travel agent.

each pilgrim from ireland got one of these badges when they sailed from dublin to italy [port as yet unknown] for the canonization of the then blessed martin de porres.

i would love to find the ships register from this trip to see if i can identify which of my family travelled.

1nzo5d.jpg

thanks again to everyone!

Advertisement