Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's up with the "Firework" noises around Blanch/Mulhuddart?

Options
  • 20-10-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Since about 2 weeks I noticed on a daily base that during random day or evening times there are some weird "explosion" noises like a Firecrackers. Does anyone have an idea what that's about - tends to get annoying at this stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Um yes... it's Halloween in two weeks... they actually are fireworks and bangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I've actually found it quieter than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mlink73

Didn't notice that last year when I moved up from Cork, and last time I checked it was illegal to buy or possess any kind of fireworks or did something change?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

5 years ago it sounded like Baghdad for a month before Halloween, barely noticeable now

mlink73 wrote: »
    Didn't notice that last year when I moved up from Cork, and last time I checked it was illegal to buy or possess any kind of fireworks or did something change?

There are a lot of things that are illegal that the gardai haven't got the time/resources/will to enforce.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    5 years ago it sounded like Baghdad for a month before Halloween, barely noticeable now

Seriously? Nothing like that in Cork, lived in Youghal before and we never had that, thinking of all these irresponsible idiots these days handling firecrackers....:eek::eek:

There are a lot of things that are illegal that the gardai haven't got the time/resources/will to enforce.

Seems to be more like a customs problem - that's how they got here in first place.

Seriously? Nothing like that in Cork, lived in Youghal before and we never had that, thinking of all these irresponsible idiots these days handling firecrackers....:eek::eek:

It's the pets that I worry about. My dogs hate this time of year.

Seems to be more like a customs problem - that's how they got here in first place.

Probably. I remember years and years ago walking along Henry Street they were sold openly but I think they've cracked down on that in recent years and now most probably come from people heading up the north and filling the back of their car.

It's the pets that I worry about. My dogs hate this time of year.

Yeah mine as well, I have a very nervous Lab and he jumps and barks everytime....not used to that.

I'd say they get brought in from the north, but customs are more busy to clamp down on cigarettes and booze - tax seems to be the most important thing for customs these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's a lot quieter than other years for definite. Although the idiots up where I am were throwing them underneath cars that were driving past and holding them to the very last minute. Noticed though that they had the Garda in my daughters school yesterday giving the older classes a talk on safety at Halloween. Hope it gets through to them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Probably. I remember years and years ago walking along Henry Street they were sold openly but I think they've cracked down on that in recent years and now most probably come from people heading up the north and filling the back of their car.

I saw them being sold out of a pram on Henry Street only yesterday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

agreed! haven't heard any around Ongar this year as well when normally you'd hear them as early as September! good riddance and glad for the dogs not having to suffer as a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

We had a quiet few years and his year has been the worst , bring on the rain, usually quietens things down as night !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Might be fireworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Larbre34 wrote: »

+1 used to be very bad. Like a barrage on the Somme. It will increase between now and Halloween. A lot families around us, used to put on quite a show. Most of them are gone now. So it will less spectacular this year I expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

BostonB wrote: »
    +1 used to be very bad. Like a barrage on the Somme. It will increase between now and Halloween. A lot families around us, used to put on quite a show. Most of them are gone now. So it will less spectacular this year I expect.

Used to be part of the trip up north to get the booze, had to bring the fireworks pack back for the kids, drink is not cheep up there anymore so very few fireworks coming down.

brightkane wrote: »
    We had a quiet few years and his year has been the worst , bring on the rain, usually quietens things down as night !
    100% agree, rain works wonders. it's sad when you think about it that you have to wish for some rain to get a bit of peace.:confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

100% agree, rain works wonders. it's sad when you think about it that you have to wish for some rain to get a bit of peace.:confused:

Doing a rain dance right now that it keeps raining for the evening - was heading out yesterday pre-6pm, rounded the corner and the fire brigade were there putting out a bonfire right in front of some houses :( Not sure if it was deliberately put that close to the houses or if some kids were just that dumb. Hopefully the noise of fireworks and bangers will be all I need to worry about tonight anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Rain didn't put them off this much in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

A lot quieter than usual tonight both with the fireworks and kids knocking on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh was definitely the quietest year I can ever remember

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    A lot quieter than usual tonight both with the fireworks and kids knocking on the door.
    fletch wrote: »
    Yeh was definitely the quietest year I can ever remember

Thank feck. The place is still a mess this morning though.

Advertisement