Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

canada electricial work for unemployed apprentice?

Options
  • 20-10-2012 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hey guys just finished my 7 phases for my apprenticeship but fas have told me iam short months to make up my overall 208weeks.they told me that the only thing in place was a cdm test but that there could be up to a year waiting period..so dont fancy spendin my time on the dole so hopein to maybe go after christmas..so my question is would it be worth my while heading over a s i have at this stage 5 years electricial experance but only 3 years and8 months as a registered apprentice.could any of you guys reccomand what you would do in my situtuon?..or maybe if i was to go to canada where would my best hope of finding work be?thanks in advance ..sorry if i have posted in wrong thread.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Might be better off over in the Canada forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

without your papers you may as well be a receptionist. Get signed off before you do anything. Unfortunately pre qualification experience counts for sweet fanny adams. phone a few electrical contractors and do skivvy work for them for the few months then get signed off by them. I'd even offer to do it for free just as long as they signed you off after the appropriate time period. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dufftronic wrote: »
    without your papers you may as well be a receptionist. Get signed off before you do anything. Unfortunately pre qualification experience counts for sweet fanny adams. phone a few electrical contractors and do skivvy work for them for the few months then get signed off by them. I'd even offer to do it for free just as long as they signed you off after the appropriate time period. best of luck.
    Agree 100% with this. No cert equals no cert. The electricians here will know what you've done and what it's worth, but step outside or RoI, and no-one will have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭desoc32

This might help you get time done.

I know of a guy who was also short of his 208 weeks. He was on the dole but went on the "casual work" scheme and got a mate (registered contractor) to register him with Fas. This allowed him to work whatever days are available to him if any, and get paid from welfare for the days he didn't work. This is done by sending in a card each week to welfare office stating any days worked the previous week so if no days worked you get full dole etc.
    Meanwhile his time with Fas was still counting down as was an active apprentice on their system and got his qualification this way.

Not really a great way of doing it but since you have all your phases done you're pretty much qualified and Fas are terrible at making allowances for time.

I hope this helps

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Fas are required to find you a position in order for you to finish your time anyway so it might be an idea to get in touch with them.

My brother was in a similar situation to yourself and they got him a placement on a maintenance crew so he could finish out his hours.

Either way I wouldn't be goin over to Canada till you get your papers no point serving your time then feckin off before you're fully qualified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Salmonfella

Hey guys thanks for all the comments fas have got me the 7 phases according to themthey will do no more . iam now on a waitin list to do a skills test which will allow me to get my papers but the downside is there is up to one year waiting list to do this test.wen i suggested could i keep my dole and work or go on that jobsbridge scheme too finish my time it was refused so if u were in my boat what would you do? Sit on the dole and send away endless cvs or go canada see a bit of the world and surely get a job at sumthin?:)..thanks for all your comments soo far :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

Canada sounds very appealing I'm sure, but there is no point in going there with no papers. Firstly you won't get work as a spark and secondly when you eventually come home to get signed off it will probably be even harder than it is now. Wait it out. Find a friendly spark who is happy to pay you nothing for the few weeks/months you have left and get them to sign you off. A pain in the hole but you'll be glad in the long run. Again, best of luck.

Advertisement