Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Up

Options
  • 20-10-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi I may be made redundant over the next few months and would like to start a consultancy busibess. I confident that I have enough industry contacts to get started and technical skills for website etc. but I'm unsure if I would need to set-up a limited company or just start business? I don't want to look follish.

Also do I charge charge vat? I don't expect to earn over €37,500 this year. I have looked around but find all the information available quite confusing.

Thanks for any advice or helpful resources you can recommend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

gmurran wrote: »
    Hi I may be made redundant over the next few months and would like to start a consultancy busibess. I confident that I have enough industry contacts to get started and technical skills for website etc. but I'm unsure if I would need to set-up a limited company or just start business? I don't want to look follish.

Also do I charge charge vat? I don't expect to earn over €37,500 this year. I have looked around but find all the information available quite confusing.

Thanks for any advice or helpful resources you can recommend.

Do nothing until you get your wedge.
    Then get into the dole office and get on the dole.
    AFTER getting the dole apply for the short term BTWEA, it requires jumping through a few hoops but its easy.
    Do not tax register with anybody until you apply simultaneously as you apply for the BTWEA.
    Don't register for VAT unless it is detrimental to your business, as in your customers, if VAT registed may want to reclaim VAT paid etc.
    Sole trader is cheaper than Limited company.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Thanks for the tip. My understanding of the BTWEA is that it just extends your dole payment for an extra year? along with a few minor secondary benefits. Is there a benefit I' missing? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

gmurran wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. My understanding of the BTWEA is that it just extends your dole payment for an extra year? along with a few minor secondary benefits. Is there a benefit I' missing? Thanks

If you are on the dole you can't be working at all, the BTWEA enables you to get the equivalent of your dole payment for a year while also working.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

To the best of my knowledge (you would need to confirm this) you cant get BTWEA unless you are signed on for 6 months.

Advertisement