Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new alarm please

Options
  • 20-10-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently moved into a new house, which is fitted with a HKC alarm system.

The system appears to be fully set up in terms of sensors, control panel etc, however, it seems that it was never connected or initialised.

I'd like to think I can try my hand at anything, but I was wondering if its possible to finish off the installation myself?

Or is this something that should really be left to the proffesionals.

Here is the circuit box in the utility:

225187.jpg

I also have 2 of these panic buttons in the house, do they need to be reset?

225186.jpg

The control panel:

225185.jpg

Basically what I would like to achieve is to be able to power up the system and set a new pin for the alarm. I'm not worried about it being monitored or anything for the time being. Is this feasible, or am I better off just calling the pros?

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its worth a try if you have the interest. I'll PM you the manual. Have a look over it & come back with any questions you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You'll need to get power into it first, is there a "fused" spur near by with power? or do you need to run a new cable over to the main board?

If you want to see is it functional you could always wire on a plug and supply it with power, but i would only recommend this if you fully confident you know what your doing.

If it has never had power connected it probably needs programming and commissioning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It looks like a fused spur to the top right over the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

You'll need to get power into it first, is there a "fused" spur near by with power? or do you need to run a new cable over to the main board?

You mean like this :)
    225196.jpg

If it has never had power connected it probably needs programming and commissioning.

Ok, is this attempt-able by a non proffesional? Or best left to the experts?

Have a read over the manual I sent you & see what you think..
    It looks like the only connection to be made is the mains. This would be Live Neutral & Earth from the spur you pictured to the panel.
    After that its all programming . Everything thing you do there can be undone .

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Have a read over the manual I sent you & see what you think..
    It looks like the only connection to be made is the mains. This would be Live Neutral & Earth from the spur you pictured to the panel.
    After that its all programming . Everything thing you do there can be undone .

Thanks KoolKid, I sent you a PM with some questions on that. Thanks again for the manual, very useful indeed.

Also, has anyone got any thoughts on those panic buttons? Can they be reset? They seem to be stuck down and need some little key or something to reset them.

PaulKK wrote: »
    Also, has anyone got any thoughts on those panic buttons? Can they be reset? They seem to be stuck down and need some little key or something to reset them.

If there is no key you can reset them by opening them.

KoolKid wrote: »
    If there is no key you can reset them by opening them.

Cheers, just did it.

Also thanks for your PM, think I'm fairly clued in on it now, that manual is excellent.

Your welcome. Lets know how it goes for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

On those panic buttons you can disable the latch so that the button springs back up after its pushed down so there's no need for keys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I'd get a pro in, there's no bell connected and chances are the alarm was disconnected for a reason

Jnealon wrote: »
    I'd get a pro in, there's no bell connected and chances are the alarm was disconnected for a reason

There's a bell on the wall outside already.. or are you saying there's no bell connected to the control board?

Edit: Also the alarm was never connected, these are fairly new houses, so presumably the intention was for each homeowner to call the alarm company for it to be connected (for a nice fee).

Possibly,
    In the days we would leave them programmed & powered down until there was permanent power. This might be one that just never got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

PaulKK wrote: »
    There's a bell on the wall outside already.. or are you saying there's no bell connected to the control board?

Edit: Also the alarm was never connected, these are fairly new houses, so presumably the intention was for each homeowner to call the alarm company for it to be connected (for a nice fee).

There is a few cables not connected just over the battery, hopefully one of these is the outside bell. You will need to get up to see if the bell is wired in and follow the instruction and colour code to connect it in the panel.
    Handy free alarm if that is the case :D

Advertisement