Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed to identify mystery components

Options
  • 20-10-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, recently moved in to a new house and I was wondering if someone could help me identify the purpose of some components.

I took a cover off a "mystery box" in the utility room and discovered what you see below.

I know that the house is wired for cctv and possibly for sound also, but I'm not sure of the purpose of the antenna. I believe originally it was planned that some functions in the house could be controlled by sms, such as the heating etc.

225189.jpg

225190.jpg

225191.jpg

225192.jpg

I also have some blank switch terminals in the ceiling in a few rooms:
    225193.jpg

Has anyone got any thoughts on what I can achieve with this, or what the purpose of the box is for?

I would like to put it to use if possible, I'm not keen on having things sitting idle if they can do something interesting :)

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

PaulKK wrote: »
    Has anyone got any thoughts on what I can achieve with this, or what the purpose of the box is for?

I would like to put it to use if possible, I'm not keen on having things sitting idle if they can do something interesting :)

Thanks,

Paul

Take of the cover and see what's inside first!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 onliner

Do a search of the internet. Yes this is a GSM control device with inputs and outputs

//www.elsist.it/WebSite/Html/English/Products/Hardware/Obsoletes/DataComm/GSMModems/EnBoxN12R.php?TabName=Downloads&GroupID=13#GroupID13puts so can be used to control via Mobile or alert via mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

eire-kp wrote: »
    Take of the cover and see what's inside first!

Here you are, power supply and some kind of cable:

225195.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Whoah! OP do you know about previous use of the house?

deandean wrote: »
    Whoah! OP do you know about previous use of the house?

Yea its more or less new.

These houses were built as "smart homes".

• Advertisement

onliner wrote: »
    Do a search of the internet. Yes this is a GSM control device with inputs and outputs

//www.elsist.it/WebSite/Html/English/Products/Hardware/Obsoletes/DataComm/GSMModems/EnBoxN12R.php?TabName=Downloads&GroupID=13#GroupID13puts so can be used to control via Mobile or alert via mobile.

Thanks, so it seems maybe that this is used by an alarm system to send a text or to be armed by text and things like that?

Any thoughts on how to go about programming this or how best to put this to use?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just not familiar with the system and want to make the best use possible of it when I have it.

I also have a blank panel on the wall in one or two rooms, 3 wires in those:

225201.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

Google "Home automation"

It doesnt look like much is connected, but you should make sure what is!

does it use a gsm sim card ?

whizbang wrote: »
    Google "Home automation"

It doesnt look like much is connected, but you should make sure what is!

does it use a gsm sim card ?
    Yup it takes a sim in the green unit. Any idea what can be achieved with those wires in the wall socket? Obv the 2 core cable is power but what are the other 2 for?

Also i have those blank wall sockets in sitting room, living room, kitchen and master bedroom. Its hardly for an intercom is it? Going by the wiring of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

this thing can be used for anything you want it to be...
    It looks like a lot of cat6 UTP network cables going into that box, also alarm wire looks connected.
    you will have to follow that wire with the writing on it
    In simplest way you can control all outputs and get status of inputs with SMS. One of especially useful features of it is getting alarms upon input changes via SMS.
    Imagination is required.
    your alarm panel will have an output when activated: connect this to an input and get an sms when your alarm is activated!
    You will need a bunch of relays connected to outputs to control mains appliances; lights, heating, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement