Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired PC - can I plug something into it to expand wireless range?

Options
  • 20-10-2012 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a micronet asdl 2 router (LAN and WLAN).

The router is downstairs, and the wifi signal doesn't reach up to my room in the attic. I have a wired socket in my room which I use to connect my home pc.

I'd love to be able to use a portable device up here too..

Is it possible to get something cheap and cheerful to improve the wireless signal up here? Something that I could plug into my pc or the wired socket so I can still have the wired connection but also wireless up here too?

Any advice on this would be great.

Thanks,
    Robbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Not too sure how they work but you could get a wireless extender. Probably cheaper ones available if you looked around.

(Have no idea how good the above model is btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

You can plug a wireless access point into the wall and plug your PC into the access point. Some old routers can be set to 'Wireless Access Point Only'. You should be able to get a cheap one online.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

cheers guys. might even be able to find an old router here in the house!

Advertisement