Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants vegan food

Options
  • 20-10-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

can any one recommend any good restaurants dishing up good vegan grub in the city?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

lazorgirl wrote: »
    can any one recommend any good restaurants dishing up good vegan grub in the city?

That I can think of:

None.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There has never been a vegan retaurant in Galway because it is almost impossible to satisfy the customers. You can barely have vegan food prepared in a vegetarian restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Would Kai do vegan food?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There has never been a vegan retaurant in Galway because it is almost impossible to satisfy the customers. You can barely have vegan food prepared in a vegetarian restaurant.

Sunflower had a lot of vegan food back in the day. Lot of vegans ate there (funny phrase to say, 'a lot of vegans'! I seemed to know more of them then! :p
    The Chef/one of the owners was mostly vegan himself I believe.

It had some lovely food.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sfc501

was in the city last month and found most restuarants and pubs done decent veggie grub, not sure if a vegan restuarant is needed. There's a couple of small naff ones here in London only the poncy people use.

• Advertisement

Would Kai do vegan food?

If phoned to make a booking and make a dietary request, they would do their best to sort you out, as would any good restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Seaneh wrote: »
    That I can think of:

None.
    Very informative and helpful.

Jim wrote: »

well, it's accurate.

As far as I am aware, none of the better restaurants in Galway have a vegan option.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LisaRoy

Probably not the type of restaurant your after but la salsa have some vegan options.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Jim wrote: »
    Would it be better to say lots do but i cant think of any!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

There's one restaurant in the city that has at least 2 vegan dishes on their menu daily :D
    but hey..what do I know

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Strangely enough I had a couple of girls in earlier who work in the 'Quay Street Kitchen'. Didn't know the place existed as I usually ignore any restaurants on that strip and last time I looked it was some kind of a Mexican place.
    Anyways its beside Fat Freddies.
    They told me they have a range of Vegan and other dietary menus and are endorsed by the relevant societies etc.
    Googled them and they have good feedback on Tripadvisor and their Facebook page says they have five Vegan options.
    Must check it out myself (only Veggie) but it sounds good. Unfortunately they do steak and stuff as well but I suppose if they are renting a place on that street they have to keep everyone happy.

There's one restaurant in the city that has at least 2 vegan dishes on their menu daily :D
    but hey..what do I know

Telling us which restaurant it is would be helpful...

I mean, there are a few pubs who have certain veggie dishes marked on their menu's as "can be modified to vegan" or something similar, but I've never seen a vegan option in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

+1 for the Quay Street Kitchen mentioned above - was in there last week, didn't even know it existed before, but was pleasantly surprised by it! I did eat dishes with meat, but there ARE vegan options, and if they're like the meaty ones, they'll be mighty tasty :) really liked it.

They may well have Vegan options if they get the food in precooked. Precooking is the norm in Quay Street.

All they need then is the Vegan microwave and hup ya goes.

They may well have Vegan options if they get the food in precooked. Precooking is the norm in Quay Street.

All they need then is the Vegan microwave and hup ya goes.

i dont see why they would need to buy in precooked vegan food, it's not like leafs, grains, seeds, pluses, veggies and nuts take a long time to cook... in reality, it's probably a lot easier and quicker to knock up a quick vegan dish than it would be to make a meat of dairy based dish...

bit ****ty to by insinuating that somewhere wouldn't be worth visiting just because it's on quay street, when some pretty damned good and popular restaurants are on quay street or just off of it, such as Artisan, Gemmels, Martine's, Kirwan's Lane and K.C. Blakes.

Off it is grand Seaneh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

martines hasn't been good for years, either in service or food, and a lot of local people have turned away from it (but that's beside the point).

OP - what about Food for Thought on Abbeygate Street? They may do vegan

• Registered Users Posts: 9 YeahiKnow

Quay Street Kitchen is amazing. There's vegan starters, main-course AND desert. It was the one place I've ever went too where there was nearly TOO many vegan options, since everything looked so good. And decently priced (in my opinion).
    It's weird, it's really hard to find, and most people don't know about it since it's really tucked in between other restaurants. I have to say the staff are so lovely there aswell.

Food for Thought have a vegan soup option and a few dinner options - Shepard's pie, nice enough!

Mixed greens does a vegan soup(maybe not all the time?) and sandwiches and I'm not sure what else.

The Oslo out in Salthill has a sweet potato and couscous burger, it is sooo nice. (And decently priced). I just assumed it was vegan though. Hmmm, OOPS? It had other options aswell which looked like they could be easily tweaked to vegan.

Ooh oh one more - The Cellar Bar does Roast Vegetable Fajitas, just omit the sour cream (it's on a side plate anyways). That's your only option on the menu though, still nice.

I've said the word vegan way too many times, agggh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,919 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

All they need then is the Vegan microwave

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lazorgirl

Would Kai do vegan food?

thats where we headed to & Jess cooked up some really good tasty grub. highly recommend it

Advertisement