Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sharing internet between two houses

• 20-10-2012 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

hello

i want to share my internet connection with a relation, and from extensive reading, on wikipedia, and on here, it appears that it is easy enough to do, but still possible even without line of sight?

like the same way imagine / wimax, sell a service without line of sight?

can someone recommend what equipment i would need?

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

How far away is the other house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

hello

i want to share my internet connection with a relation, and from extensive reading, on wikipedia, and on here, it appears that it is easy enough to do, but still possible even without line of sight?

like the same way imagine / wimax, sell a service without line of sight?

can someone recommend what equipment i would need?

thanks

How far away does the relative live ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭northeast2012

How far away does the relative live ?

7 KM but not clear line of sight unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

7 KM but not clear line of sight unfortunately.

If you haven't line of sight, you're not going to have a satisfactory (or indeed any) connection, in my opinion and experience of course.

Avns1s wrote: »
    If you haven't line of sight, you're not going to have a satisfactory (or indeed any) connection, in my opinion and experience of course.

i believe that you dont need perfect line of sight for wimax, is that correct?
    could that sort of technology be used?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

yes it can be done with wiimax equipment if you are willing to spend 10,000 euro or more. If the person was in line of sight and within 4km it could be done for 100 euro. Or something like this might work http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-ANT24D18-802-11b-Antenna-Range/dp/B002G3OICK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350755741&sr=8-1-fkmr1

ok just measured with GPS, and as crow files 6.30KM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Not possible unless you are an ISP or have lots of money to spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

cheaper to get a second internet link for the other place, assuming this is possible.

Advertisement