Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funds from sale of council site

Options
  • 20-10-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I see that they are going to use the funds from the sale of the site on the roundabout at the ringroad for two things: 1. to buy the smithwicks brewery and 2. to build a facility for horse owners in the town

Now, I don't have any horses at the moment because the house I own comes with a tiny field out front that is 1 metre x 4 metres. Its part of my culture to own horses [my father used to have horses and so did my grandfather] but because of where I live, I don't own any at the moment.

Is there anyone else on here looking forward to the provision of this great new facility for the residents of the city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

What do you mean facility for horse owners? What exactly are they building? Livery stables? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

You'll have to have a Pi-Ball to get into that horse facility. It's a development for travellers horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

If people want a horse they should be able to fund it themselves. Having a horse is a luxery.

The guy on Winning Streak last night said now he would be able to afford Pedigree dog food, he lived within his means. What sort of society do we have that we would facilitate a horses over a human being with special needs.

How many SNAs could be employed with the 850,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Those horses are in your face, on your land and roaming the public roads constantly and will continue to be until there is get somewhere to put them. Regardless of means that will continue to be the case.

It's effectively a protection racket isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

These horse and carts should be off the road end of story.
    No Insurance nothing.
    A constant danger to the public.
    Never stop at junctions.
    A f in disgrace.
    You wouldnt see it abroad because the police dont take crap like they do here.
    Not a cent of taxpayers money should be spent on any animal for the cart owners.
    They dont pay my dog licence.
    Do the horse's on public roads need a licence NO.
    All other animals need them or are registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Maybe the cops would be better employed chasing down these sulkie racers on our roads. Now some ppl on here will say the cops have a rite to set up checkpoints in paulstown and on the diversion route,and they may be right,but personally I think they are afraid to tackle the horse owners as its too much hassle and its easier to fine perple whose tax is out for a few weeks,and yes my car is taxed,insured and nct'd,much more paperwork than the horse owners and now the council are building them stables!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

+1 on what Odyssey said, I'd also question whether the horse facility would be used by their owners.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How about this, all of the horses in question should be registered and chipped, if they want the council to provide services for the horses then they pay a yearly horse license fee.

When you consider that travelers pay very little towards the government given that they have a 86% unemployment rate its expecting an awful lot for the government to buy land and build stables for them

Why should WE build a effin stable for their horses...if I want a horse I would need my own land and build my own stable on it or rent land with a stable. This is a kick in the nuts for all us taxpayers who have to work to pay our way. Oh the cops had a checkpoint between the roundabout in Paulstown and the Motorway this afternoon go figure that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I wouldn't like the job of policing those stables. :eek:

• Advertisement

If they're not built they won't have to be policed.....simples

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

But why should a facility be built for one group of people? Will the council also build one for members of the settled community who want to own hosrses? Will members of the settled community be allowed to use it this one aswel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I heard a certain politicians son is pushing for it!

He better not be.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I'd say the reason that the council are building stables for these horses and their owners is to deal with a problem. The problem is these horses on grass verges, council fields etc. It's both a safety concern and somewhat unsightly.

Once the council build these stables they will be in a better position to take away horses that are not kept in the stables. They will have greater control and can at some stage introduce tagging and educate the people about care for the animals.

Benefits:
      Cleaner City More control Better education Better care of animals

I'm not trying to be a troll, just trying to answer the question. Why? Why would they spend money on such an establishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

femur61 wrote: »
    I heard a certain politicians son is pushing for it!

That'd hardly be a certain politicians son who would attend the opening of a bag of crisps if it meant he got his photo taken in the local papers would it??

After giving out about this in my previous post i have come to think that the only good thing to come out of this might be that the horses who will have a life of misery pulling these people around might have a decent shelter to stay in come the cold or wet weather etc they might even provide them with straw for bedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Formosa

Serious cull needed....

Advertisement